Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1st, South Beach
Stats: 204/180/155 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Is South Beach labeled a low salt diet?

I know you naturally eat less salt on South Beach, but I'm curious if its labeled an actual low salt diet. I'm on a medication that makes me lose salt rapidly. I'm restricted from low salt dieting, and if I drink a lot of water or exercise I'm actually supposed to up my salt. I drink between 100 and 140ounces of water daily, and have been walking everyday for the last couple days. The V-8 question made me think about things, and I usually buy low-sodium V-8, wondering if regular might be better for me due to the meds. Any suggestions? Thanks ya'll
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 20:50
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime
I know you naturally eat less salt on South Beach, but I'm curious if its labeled an actual low salt diet. I'm on a medication that makes me lose salt rapidly. I'm restricted from low salt dieting, and if I drink a lot of water or exercise I'm actually supposed to up my salt. I drink between 100 and 140ounces of water daily, and have been walking everyday for the last couple days. The V-8 question made me think about things, and I usually buy low-sodium V-8, wondering if regular might be better for me due to the meds. Any suggestions? Thanks ya'll

No, its not known as a low salt diet. If you need to be sure that you are getting enough sodium=salt each day, you may want to ask your doctor if you should take a sodium supplement.

In the mean time, do drink regular V8 and add some salt to your food.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 21:02
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Judy Thanks. Funny, now that I'm used to not eating much salt, salty foods taste well, so salty
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 21:07
Attitude is a Choice

I'm a salt freak and could easily eat too much salt so I've got to be very careful.

Not that I'm pushing the frozen SBD pizzas, but they are loaded with sodium.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 21:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I'm a salt freak and could easily eat too much salt so I've got to be very careful.

Not that I'm pushing the frozen SBD pizzas, but they are loaded with sodium.

They have such a limited selection in the grocery stores here, I haven't been able to find them!! I'm not real big on any kind of frozen meal anyway. I'm hoping the V-8 will do it, cause its loaded with sodium too! I'm not real worried about it, but I do need to pay attention as I start working out more. The instructions that came with the med actually say to eat salty foods after exercise or even if you just get to hot and sweat a lot. Its weird though, cause I have it embeded in my brain that salt needs to be cut back
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 21:27
Attitude is a Choice

I think that you need to discuss this aspect of the medication with your doctor. It would be a wise thing to do, just to make sure.