Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 13:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am always very cautious of "secret" things you have to pay for.

People like Dr. Jack Kruse, Dr. Cate Shanahan, and Dr. Jason Fung; nutritionist Amy of Tuit Nutrition; Robb Wolf and Chris Kessler; they are all medical personnel or consultants of some kind, but they freely share what they know.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 04:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I've followed some of Dr Longo's work from the cancer perspective for some years, but more recently, since Dr Fung entered the scene a few years ago, my view is Why do a Fasting Mimicking Diet when you can just Fast? Dr Rhonda Patrick interviewed him last fall where he gave good info about the diet, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE
But I wasn't listening all that closely because like others,my view was why bother with your product?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 07:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

For me it comes down to what makes it easiest for somebody. A day of fasting might be stronger medicine than a day of Longo's product, or an easily produced approximation of it--but the modified fast is better than skipping fasting altogether. I'm pretty sure Longo's plan is probably pretty much the most expensive way of going about doing the Cabbage Soup diet ever, though.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 13:08

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

I read that they had to put a price on it so that insurance companies can pay for it as an official treatment protocol. Also Longo has said that if the company goes public his shares will be donated.
Basically the money thing is just a nod to the reality of the modern health care environment.

and re: the questions like 'why not just fast', I'm thinking that a structured plan like this would help with compliance in a lot of people.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 13:52
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Here is a FMD recipe site: http://fmdrecipes.org/
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 16:08
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Year old resurrected thread I know

Still, on day 6 and feeling great, even went out with the chain-saw and cut a load of Oak wood with a dull chainsaw. Doing my own version of FMD plus skipping some of the meals. Today I noticed annoying tinnitus, I've had for years since the military -- Gone! Also the tenderfoot pain I've been fighting for months. High blood pressure and it's medications -- gone for good I hope. If diet, or lack of it, can fix my painful and damaged wrists I got from years of windsurfing then ill be a believer!

Started a "water Fast" originally but days 2-3 made me change to just having a bit of low-carb food. At my age and condition I couldn't stand the adrenaline pump you get and not much sleep. I could probably do better at this juncture though. Day-3 is the crux. Get past that and you're into "The Zone" for the duration. Talk to your Dr. before trying a fast.

https://www.lifebox.diet/blogs/prac...e-for-beginners

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, May-19-17 at 16:31.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 18:28

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Sigh. I did a seven day fast with a little bit of bone broth, chia seeds, cinnamon etc. as recommended by Dr. Fung for hunger, a year or two back but the hunger, which was supposed to go away around day three or so, never did. Had to quit due to feeling so weak. And this is all with being completely keto-adapted for years with regular testing to confirm. Tried a couple more three to four day fasts of the same type but quit due to weakness/unwell feel again. Mystery completely outside my own personal experience how other people I read comments from are able to just naturally skip meals/forget to eat/fast without hunger assertively reminding them they haven't eaten recently like it does me. I even have family members who are like this, who just naturally don't feel the need to eat more than once a day. Me, hunger is already yelling at me in the morning, sometimes even during the night, for food (it doesn't get any then and just a fatty morning drink, but not fooled for long). Again, in ketosis the whole time. Frustrating! Are some of us just naturally more hungry than others or what?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 18:50

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I did a seven day fast with a little bit of bone broth, chia seeds, cinnamon etc. as recommended by Dr. Fung for hunger, a year or two back but the hunger, which was supposed to go away around day three or so, never did

I thought Fung's rec's were for 36-72 hours?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 02:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Kirkor,
I've learned a lot listening to the new FastingTalk podcast with Megan Ramos. The first two years or so Dr Fung's clinic added fasting to LCHF, he only suggested those two protocols (24 and 36 hr) that are at web archive in post #1 of the thread. The more he researched and patients learned on their own, depending of course on their diabetes and kidney status, start weight, etc. he allowed longer under doctor supervision. Read posts from this year on the Fung thread, now he works with the patient to make them healthy. 5:2 has become popular, the podcast guest this week does 6:1. But the husband had a great deal of weight to lose, the wife fasted around chemo treatments. These are therapies, not for anyone at a healthy weight.

Zei, two recent posts on hunger...many comments from readers, some like yours. From those, it appears people do have different levels of ghrelin. Check those for ideas, Megan advises water every hour, she also drinks green tea, I drink decaf iced tea and lots of broth to begin.

https://intensivedietarymanagement....gry-fasting-28/
https://intensivedietarymanagement....lin-fasting-29/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-20-17 at 02:58.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 03:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Sigh. I did a seven day fast with a little bit of bone broth, chia seeds, cinnamon etc. as recommended by Dr. Fung for hunger, a year or two back but the hunger, which was supposed to go away around day three or so, never did. Had to quit due to feeling so weak. And this is all with being completely keto-adapted for years with regular testing to confirm. Tried a couple more three to four day fasts of the same type but quit due to weakness/unwell feel again. Mystery completely outside my own personal experience how other people I read comments from are able to just naturally skip meals/forget to eat/fast without hunger assertively reminding them they haven't eaten recently like it does me. I even have family members who are like this, who just naturally don't feel the need to eat more than once a day. Me, hunger is already yelling at me in the morning, sometimes even during the night, for food (it doesn't get any then and just a fatty morning drink, but not fooled for long). Again, in ketosis the whole time. Frustrating! Are some of us just naturally more hungry than others or what?

Hi there, Zei. You may not be aware, but this forum does not support fasting.

Admin Doreen made this clear in a former post here:
Quote:
Concerns have been raised over the increased use of extended water-only fasts and other forms of severely restricted nourishment for prolonged periods of time. This is in contrast to the various published IF (Intermittent Fasting) protocols which advocate short-duration "fasts" of 18 to 24 hours, with optimal nutrition on non-fasting days in between.

Short-duration IF has been shown to be safe for weight loss in overweight and obese adults. However, even the expert authors of these IF programs recommend prolonged fasting ONLY under medical supervision. Here at Active Low-Carber, we are in full agreement with this position.

Please note that Forum Rule #2 states:
Quote:
... It is beyond the scope of our support community to prescribe a diet plan for you, so we encourage you to consult your doctor and read one or more of the published program books. Once you've decided which plan is right for you, we are here to help you along the way. Please note, we only discuss published plans, not proprietary, clinic-only type of plans as these require personal and/or professional supervision, and we cannot give medical advice or service..
Thus .. seeking support, encouragement and/or promotion of prolonged fasting is consdered beyond the scope of this forum and such discussion is not appropriate here. We understand that some members may indeed be under medical supervision for such a regimen; if they want to document their experience it should be confined to the relative privacy of their journal.

Thanks for understanding,
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...3&postcount=241

So please, no further discussion of fasting!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 04:14

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:

This forum does not support prolonged fasting.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 04:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
This forum does not support prolonged fasting.

Okay, yes, you are correct. But I think Doreen's post makes that abundantly clear.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 08:24

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Thanks for the heads-up on forum rule concerning posts on longer term fasting, Roz. You're right, I wasn't aware. And Jey, thanks for the info on hunger. I generally try to do a form of daily IF pushing off until later in the day my protein meal consumption by having a fatty drink in the morning (not a coffee drinker so spices with my fat source) to deal with hunger, which has helped with weight loss, but puzzled over why those other people I closely know just don't seem to feel hungry.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 09:22

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

You are not alone. I've written about hunger on the forum. I am also one of those people who get hungry and can't understand all the people who say they never get hungry or can only manage to eat small quantities. Not me. Granted I am not ravenously hungry all the time like I used to be but still I do not forget to eat and I use portion control much more than my appetite to determine how much to eat. Eat when hungry stop when full doesn't work for me.

Jean
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 09:36

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
You are not alone. I've written about hunger on the forum. I am also one of those people who get hungry and can't understand all the people who say they never get hungry or can only manage to eat small quantities. Not me. Granted I am not ravenously hungry all the time like I used to be but still I do not forget to eat and I use portion control much more than my appetite to determine how much to eat. Eat when hungry stop when full doesn't work for me.

Jean

I'm glad you wrote that - I'm in the same boat. If I ate until I feel full, I'd be eating a heck of a lot of food. I have to portion it out & time my meals. It feels obsessive, but the times when I start to eat to my hunger - amounts, too often, or both - I end up with too high bg & weight gain. And I don't even eat sugar or grains! This is all on healthy, low carb, high fat meats, eggs, and vegetables.