Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Pregnancy-what can I expect

I have been diagnosed with PCOS....after years of virtually no periods. I am now low-carbing and taking Provera to induce a period. I have had two cycles this summer--- on schedule both times!

My doc doesn't seem really urgent about anything. He just told me that when I want to get pregnant to come to him for Clomid. I asked if he is going to do a sono to see what my ovaries look like, but he just said "No, if the Provera helps you get your period then we are going to assume all is fine" How does that strike all of you?

Anyways, once I start Clomid, how long should it take me to conceive? Is it really as easy as he makes it sound? I know it varies from person to person, PCOS follows no rhyme or rhythm it appears........would love to hear anyone's pregnancy story.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Check this link out for a low carber with PCOS who had a baby.

http://www.ptyza.com/pamstuff/pcotoc.htm

Good Luck to US!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 21:00

Plan: SugarBusters
Stats: 350/350/?
BF:
Progress:

Hi. I have PCOS and a beautiful 3 year old daughter.

I was diagnosed in late 1998. In January 1999 I began low-carbing, and at the beginning of February, added Metformin. We conceived sometime around the first of March without the need for any additional fertility meds. I too had been taking provera to induce a period and in fact, had taken my last round just before we conceived. I was waiting for my period to start post-provera when I discovered I was pregnant. BTW, I weighed 324 at the time of conception.

You may find that LC alone will cause you to resume ovulation. If not, before you take Clomid, you might want to look in to seeing if a trial of Metformin (aka Glucophage) will do the trick. It certainly worked for us.

The best way to make sure you're ovulating is to keep a chart of your basal temp. You can have a period without having ovulated, but obviously you can't conceive without ovulating. Without blood tests, a chart of your basal temp is your best way of knowing whether or not you're ovulating on your own, and/or with drugs. And if you are taking drugs, it will help you know if they're working.

Is conceiving with PCOS as simple as taking a few months work of Clomid? Sorry, no easy answer there. Every woman is different.

But there are lots of plus-size mommies out there, and lots of mommies with PCOS.

Be sure to check out the Plus Size Pregnancy website at
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/
It is a wonderful site and was very helpful to me. (My birth story is there under moms' with PCOS.) And of course the PCO Support site at http://www.pcosupport.org/ is must reading.

Good luck.

Stephanie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 21:10

Plan: SugarBusters
Stats: 350/350/?
BF:
Progress:
Default OOPS

Tams531, I looked at your original post again, and realized, belatedly, that you won't be considered plus-size much longer! I hope I didn't offend you; no insult was meant. I'm just used to working with much heavier women (200+) when talking about PCOS.

<removing foot from mouth> Sorry!

Stephanie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 19:49

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Pregnancy really is different for each person. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1988 just before I got married, I suspect I had it all my life. I have two children, one concieved right after going off the pill for high blood pressure. We were trying to prevent at that point for various reasons but were planning on a family soon so it wasn't a disappointment. I figure that the only reason I didn't have a problems was that pill actually caused me to ovulate that month. Chances are I would not have after that. My son I was on clomid and I took it for 3 cycles. They were very long cycles about 40-45 days and each cycle the days increased so that effect of clomid made me very nervous.
I tried clomid one more time and my progesterone levels never went up and I was getting depressed like I had postpartum depression. I will not do fertility drugs again because of that. I figure I'm so blessed to have two children that I will have to learn to live with that.
Tanya
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone and Atkins
Stats: 275/251.5/150 Female 5,6
BF:
Progress: 19%

I tried to get pregnant for three years before I was diagnosed with PCOS. I also had not had AF in over a year. Finally my doctor put me on Met and I got pregnant about three months later. I remained on the drug for the first trimester of my pregnancy. I now have a beautiful six month old baby boy.

If your not already taking Met I highly recommend talking to your doctor about trying it first to see if you can ovulate without induction.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 198.5/185/130
BF:
Progress: 20%

I started geting lengthy periods with no ovulation 4 years ago. the first ob/gyn gave me i went to about 3 years ago and he gave me 50 mg clomid and then upped to 100 mg. instead of a sono, he would manually check for cysts. In 2001, i went to a reprod. endocrinologist (once my insurance covered it). he did a complete work up including semen analysis for hubby, hsg to check for tube blockage, etc.
he also said he wanted to check for PCOS. he gave me clomid which until july i was t 200 mg (4 pills) and not ovulating. he didnt give me metformin/glucophage until this past month starting at 500mg and buidl to 1500 mg. he said that there has been success with glucophage in conjunction with clomid to induce ovulation. he also wanted me to exercise and start dieting (which i started to do even before i had gone into see him).
so we will see.....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 06:04

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:
Progress: 0%

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS DAFT..... BUT THE MOMENT I STARTED LCING...... MY AILMENTS STOPPED. HOWEVER I GOT MY PRIOD AGAIN WITHIN 2 WEEKS AND THIS TIME IT IS NORMAL.... IT DOES NOT SEEM LIKE I HAVE A FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO I USED TO GET A FEW HAIRS ON MY CHIN.. THEY HAVE GONE TOO......

THERE IS HOPE FOR US

TINA
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/low carbs
Stats: 255/215/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 42%
Smile Hello!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!! I am new to this forum...I have been lurking around for the last couple of days and decided to join in.... In July 2002 I was diagnose with PCOS.. I believe I have had this all my life since puberty... I only got my menstrual 2 times a year in my teens.. so I decided to go on the pill when I was 19. I had my menstrual every month on the pill.. On the 13 April 1998, I decided to get pregnant so I got off the pill to find out on 18 April that I was pregnant.. I have a 4 1/2 year old son who brings me lots of joy... I decided to get of the pill and get a IUD in Nov 2001. I did not get my mens for the next 6 months so I thought that my body was just getting back to normal, so in June I decided to go and find out why? and now my problem has a name, PCOS... I have lost 15 pounds with Slimfast but my doctor said I need to do the low carbs... so I will be starting the Atkins diet on Sunday... Any idea how much I should expect to lose doing the induction phase?... I have lots to lose and hope this lc is what works for me.. thanks

#10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 22:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

Each woman is different and sometimes they have to do other things to help the clomid such as drilling the ovaries. If you have not had your period for a while you may want to get your bone density checked. Not having your period for long amounts of time can often lead to low bone density. Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 08:46

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:
Default LISTEN TO ME

Hi. I am 34 years old and I have been tyring to get pregnant for 4 years. I just switched doctors because...
2 years ago I was on a program with provera to induce my period and clomid to ovulate. The first month is worked and we conceived and we had a misscarriage. I found out much later that clomid is not the best for PCOS. If it does not work in the first 3 months you should try something else. I was telling my GYN and my primary that I had PCOS. They both told me I did not have it and that my symptoms would be worse. I now know that you don't have to experience all the symptoms and this is a hidden disease. It masks itself differently in each and evey woman. So... I was tested for my sugar (at my begging) and was told my levels were normal. Not true!

My new doctor read my chart and found that my FSH and LH levels were consisent with PCOS and he told me to begin a Low Carb Diet. I am now taking glucophage and I feel great! Provera and Clomid will work for some, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. I am now taking something else to ovulate (don't remember the name) and doing the ovidril shot to drop the egg, which insemination. I am getting serious because I really want to start my family.

I wasted years.... don't make the same mistake. If you are taking provera to get your period, you are not fine. There is a reason why you need provera! Find it! You may need a new doctor! Please do not assume everything else is ok - just because the provera works!

I hope this helps you,
Please contact me if you need anything else
Gigi
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:42

Stats: 292/228/228
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am a newly pregnant PCOSer, my ob/gyn said I would never get pregnant without Clomid, and I DID! My personal feeling was that the low-carbing made it possible, with less risk of multiple birth... I know docs mean well, but to throw out Clomid before you give your body time to enjoy its new cycling abilities is in my opinion not cool... I was on nothing but my unrelated thyroid medication when I became pregnant, now I am of course on Progesterone to keep it... good luck, you'll get there... took me 3 yrs to get preggers and catch it before I lost it (but, for what its worth, it is easier to get pregnant when u low-carb) I have been low-carbing since May 2002, had had no birthcontrol since March 1999, miscarried in May 1999, nothing after that until I miscarried in Aug 2002, and now I am pregnant again...u can do it...good luck! Valerie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 19:23

Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Not preg yet but you can read my newly posted pcos success story to see That LC has restored my ovulation after not ovulating for 6 years I got Pregnant three X's thow before I was dx with pcos I think it was milder then but after my last Pregnancy & having gestational diebetis I think it went out of control then. Before LC I never got TOM on my own only after 4 months I would take meds to start I went like this for 4 years ttc charted for two years before starting LC only to find out I had pcos & hadnt Ovulated in possably 6 years. It took 9 months to Totally even my cycles out but now there a perfect 32-33 days long & Ive been Ovulating monthly now for 4 months on my own back during the time I was ttc without LC I took three months of clomid that didnt do nothing but mess me up worse. If you give it time Im sure You'll see a Miracle LC Is the answer for us theres no alturnative... My dr did not stick me on Met to which Im thankful for now because without Doubt I no its LC that restored my mensus & ovulation. I'll keep you all in my thoughts & prayers we all no its a ruff road for us but we do have HOPE through LC!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: CAD, south beach
Stats: 000/000/175 Female 5 foot 10inches
BF:too freaken much
Smile just had baby

i have pcos and i just had my second baby 6 weeks ago(feb 2003). i was sterile for 8 years and then suddenly got pregnant. during pregnancy it seemed the pcos went away and i lost the facial hair although it is now returning. i rarely ovulated do to pcos but somehow i must have at least 2 times. dont give up, i know it takes time but it can happen. i did not take any pills to conceive so i dont know how that works. i just took time. was married 8 years before we had our first baby. hang in there
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 20:50

Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%
Thumbs up My baby is 4 now

I was diagnosed with PCOS 1 1/2 years after my 4 year old was born. I had terrible complications because the doctor I was seeing was not familiar with PCOS and did not diagnose me with it. I kept trying to miscarry and was treated for incompitent cervix (which they told me then that I probably did not have, and now I know that I didn't) which included 2 surgeries and 7 1/2 months of bed rest, etc. If I had been diagnosed and seen a good doctor it would have gone better I know. Looking back, I know it is a miracle that I even got pregnant; I think it was because I had just come off of years of b.c. pills and was low carbing at the time, and taking vitamins. If your doctor does not do the right thing or treat you properly (do a lot of research for yourself online), then find another doctor. Many doctors and nurses know little or nothing about PCOS. I am a nurse and I had never heard of it, neither had any of my co-workers, untill I found that I have it, so be careful who you trust with your health and your future child. Good luck.