Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Easy way to figurre this?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of trying PP because I have to have some fruit each day, or I really don't feel well. Just wondering if there is any easy way to figure your protein requirements per day? I'm 54 yrs old, 5' 51/2" tall and weigh about 156 or thereabouts. I'm small boned and have insulin resistance. PP book is too complicated. I have the old book but not the PPLP.

Thanks 2U,
Grandma (in May 2003)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 18:27

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan since 6/6/02
Stats: 269/209/126
BF:Unknown
Progress: 42%
Hi Grandma,

Here is a online calulator for you to compute your protein requirements:

http://www.zoneperfect.com/Site/content/Calculator.asp

Cheryl
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 19:30

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

WOW!
I just checked this calculator...is the Zone supposed to be low-carb?

I dont' get their calculations at all! My lean body weight is only 112 pounds! I'm 5'7 1/2!!!! According to the calculations in Protein power I should have 95-110 gms of protein per day. According to this I should only have 78? Also...according to this I should have 99 gms of carb per day?!?!?!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 11:05

The Zone tries to _balance_ carbs and proteins...it's their claim to fame....but look at what they advise for main meals and you will find alot of veggies. Fruits are also a big part of the Zone. I don't know if they're backing out fiber content (ECC) when counting carbs.

Here's a sample menu from the Zone:
http://www.zoneperfect.com/Site/con...plans_7d11b.asp

The Zone doesn't look too bad to me....except for eating fruit at meal time and I don't know what a Zoneperfect bar is....

Presently, we eat 5 to 8 ounces of (cooked) beef, chicken, pork, and fish at dinner time, with 2 to 3 cups of veggies...cabbage, brocolli, squash(yep), mushrooms, onions (vidalia sweets or mayan!), fresh snaps... We only eat fresh fruit at snacktime.... bananas, apples, canteloupe, watermelon, etc. Steadily losing inches and pounds. The fruits and veggies add up to alot of carbs for us...I don't bother with the ECC anymore...I just eat sensibly and eat often, don't count calories and I don't sweat it when I go out to eat once a month...Chinese, pizza, fried seafood.

I've lost 60 lbs in 5 months, Mark has lost 62 lbs in less than 5 months using Protein Power Lifeplan....I'd recommend it to anyone willing to do it for the rest of their life...but if you can't commit to the life change, the Zone may be an alternative...at least it advocates nutritional balance of some kind.

Cheryl
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:05

Here's one of The Zone Tips.........

Zone Tip:
"Fruits, vegetables, starches (like rice and potatoes), and grains (pasta, breads, and cereals) are alll carbohydrates. But some carbohydrates are better than others for getting in the Zone. Zone-preferred carbohydrates in clude most fruits and vegetables, because their rate of absorption into the bloodstream is relatively slow. This means they don't send your insulin level rocketing sky-high. Unfavorable carbohydrates, which include most starches and grains stimulate rapid insulin secretion and should be used in moderation."

Cheryl
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Great!

Thanks Cheryl,

I'll check out the zone book again. I have it. I just fee better adding some fruits to my eating plan. Ketosis and I don't mix well for some reason. Anyway, thanks for your great responses. Best wishes to you.

Grandma (in May 2003)