Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%
Default 30% of lost weight gained back

Aloha Ya'll,

Thanks for being here just to let me RANT. It was this forum and the wonderful members that helped me stick with the WOE to get the weight off in the first place.

I've been a member of Lowcarber for about 4 years. Lost about 70 lbs on low carbing/Atkins. Have developed/adapted many great recipes to low carb. Since moving back to the mainland from Hawaii in 2007 (and going back to working in healthcare), I've slowly gained about 30% of my lost weight back. I never went off the wagon per se, but I do allow a limited amount of special occasions for off-diet foods. My biggest setback was going off the excercise plan after the move, losing an extra hour in the morning for the new job. I've now slowly carved out a 30 minute period for working out by getting up even earlier. Just a matter of finding a new workout that I can enjoy.

Its all about a fine balance. Where I couldn't afford buffets (actually there WEREN'T any) where I was in Hawaii, they are all over here on the mainland. Its actually convenient to be able to find protein foods to eat and not make a fuss over a menu at a restaurant (but it needs to be in moderation). Where exercise was an absolute pleasure (It was easy to walk 2 miles everyday along a Hawaiian shoreline and through the bayside city park), I now live off a dangerous highway. Whereas I had alot of support in Hawaii to lose from nearly 200 pounds, people (who never saw me fat) now just look at me like I'm crazy and say "WHY ARE YOU ON A DIET!?! YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT"

Not making excuses, just stating it like it is. In adapting recipes to low carb, I have gone beyond my Atkins for Life daily limit as I am working towards a future cookbook. No excuses for that either. I'm creating some great maintenance meals.

I've been a week attempting induction, this is my third try in 4 months to get into induction with great difficulty. But I'm keeping at it and not giving up. I gave up having the occassional beer and wine during my initial weight loss period, 6-8 months. Now that I'm making wine and beer (yes, making and bottling it), its a great challenge to NOT enjoy it. I'm 3rd generation wine maker (my Uncle made beer and my Grandfather made wine and champagne. Of course I'm not having ANY right now.

I'm surrounded by people with larger skeletal frames, others are just heavier, constantly telling me I don't need to be on a diet. OF COURSE I HAVE TO BE ON A DIET. I'm insulin resistant basically. All the wonderful clothes I bought in 2007, much of which are not fitting right now. I'm always having to explain that keeping weight off is more difficult than losing it, that I will always have to eat in a certain way to control appetite and insulin release.

It all boils down to part of the experience of low carbing, and keeping weight off. Its a new lesson to learn, and like we all are often forced to, once again being creative.

Thanks for letting me blow off the steam and renewing my resolve.
Sponsored Links