Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-27-12, 14:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Ditched seed oils & artificial sweetener

Sometimes, I look back at "the good old days" when I was just low carb.

I have a lot more things to avoid being Paleo!

But I am happy to report that I have completed the elimination of seed oils from my daily menus. I just got an immersion blender for making my own mayonnaise; which was the last thing I had trouble replacing. Now deviled eggs should make a triumphant return.

What really surprised me was getting rid of artificial sweeteners. But last winter I wound up not doing much baking. In the meantime, my tastebuds have sharpened to the point that sugar-free syrups and drinks taste way too sweet to me.

I just ordered a bunch of my favorite herbal teas online and will be drinking those, unsweetened, as the weather heats up. I did find a stevia-sweetened soda I like for those evenings out where I need something to mix with my rum.

I'm sure I won't give up on my almond/coconut flour goodies entirely; I'll just come up with a lowered sweetener dose, and use different ones like stevia. The only one I have to please right now is myself, after all.

And I keep my dairy to high fat, cultured, sources. I went without dairy for years after a bout of gastroenteritis led to a diagnosis of lactose intolerance. Then I resumed it with Atkins. It didn't seem to make a difference to my health the way dropping grains dramatically did. So on that, the jury is still out.

I don't know if my increased health benefits (arthritis going away, rosacea calming down, better sleep, mood, and digestion habits, and no ugly surprises when I reach for my summer wardrobe) are making me more sensitive to those areas of my diet that are not yet optimum?

Going to splenda-sweetened baked goods were key to my adjustment to a totally grain free way of life, but I just don't crave them like I used to. I never noticed a problem with store-bought mayo or salad dressings before, but now they will make my face itchy. And I bought creamed spinach with good ingredients in a frozen form... only to throw it out because it smelled like baby puke.

It's a challenge, all right. But one with great benefits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 18:13
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I'm in the process of shifting over to Paleo (or maybe just Primal) myself, Pamela, (from Atkins). In fact, I just started a Whole30 challenge on August 16th. No problems as yet. Drinking my 2 cups of coffee black now. I'm doing no sweeteners of ANY kind. That has been the psychologically hardest thing for me to give up. I was totally addicted to diet Coke with Splenda. Had a mild, barely noticeable headache on day 1-2, but none since, so I think I'm over the worst of any "withdrawal" issues. Hope so at least. Took me nearly a year to make up my mind for sure to switch, but Atkins just wasn't working for me to lose my last 10-15#. And after reading Wheat Belly, I just don't want to do flour/ flour products/grains anymore. I'm hoping this change is permanent. Hubby hasn't been gripey about it. But he didn't gripe much about Atkins this last 3 years either. He's a keeper.

On the oils front, I've just discovered I'm really liking Red Palm Oil. I bought some last year, but just recently opened up the tub. It turns food yellow, but that is diminished in stir fries. Really turns cream-based dishes yellow though. But the health benefits are incredible! And it brings a "nutty" flavor to curries, Middle Eastern food, and greatly enhances stir fries when mixed with coconut and olive oil in a "blend". I'm just sorry I waited so long to open up the container! Here's a brief discussion of it that is not too time consuming to read if you're interested. I'm sure Googling will bring up lots more info http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 04:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I'm in the process of shifting over to Paleo (or maybe just Primal) myself, Pamela, (from Atkins). ... And after reading Wheat Belly, I just don't want to do flour/ flour products/grains anymore. I'm hoping this change is permanent. Hubby hasn't been gripey about it. But he didn't gripe much about Atkins this last 3 years either. He's a keeper.

He sure does sound like a keeper! I'm sure he's confident you'll keep making things that taste good

It's amazing the difference ditching the grains did for me. Hope it has some wonderful rewards in store for you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
On the oils front, I've just discovered I'm really liking Red Palm Oil.

I've heard good things about it, haven't tried it yet. Turning things yellow? Won't bother me
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had some red palm oil... it was nasty tasting!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:10
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I'm suspect you maybe had a batch or brand that wasn't to your liking Nancy. Many people use it regularly and like it. What I have isn't bad tasting at all. Quite rich and nutty tasting to me. But we all know taste is a highly individual thing. I have a nephew who doesn't like chocolate, and he's NOT allergic to it. Just doesn't LIKE it. Thinks it tastes "nasty".