Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 22:42

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Questions....I have Questions....

I have been doing this plan for 4 weeks now, and the last 2 weeks I have been having some problems.

1) Very Very tired in the mid morning and again mid afternoon (as in if I allow myself to have a "nap" it turns into a 90 minute sleep) I have been sleeping amazingly at night, only a few trips to the WC, but the quality of my sleep is amazing.

2) Nausea in the am, (I know what youre all thinking - "morning sickness" I have had this checked out - an HCG Blood Test which is 100% negative) - Mind you I had a dream last night that showed me a different test result sheet that said positive......hmmmm what would Freud say? The nausea is bad enough to really really cause me to gag in the am over various types of foods- its only in the AM.

3) Abdominal soreness (not cramps, just tender)

4) Very low on energy, I have been making myself work out in the evening cause I thought, increase workouts, increase energy....

So I am taking the proper vitamins:
Calcium: 1011
Mag:411
Pot: 100
Folic Acid (on my own): 1mg
Glucomine (SP?) - Started today

I think my diet is pretty balanced with lots of veggies and protein, but I dont know what could be wrong?? Is it the diet, or somthing else. I hesitate about going to my DR. its hard to gauge his reaction if I tell him about this plan, he may assume that it is the plan that is evil and tell me to stop!

I appreciate any thoughts you may have from your combined experiences with this WOE!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 22:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I first started and was in super-duper heavy fat burning mode, I would feel nauseous. I know that toxins are stored in fat tissue, so I just assumed that it was "toxic release" as well as fat burning that was the cause.

It does take your body a while to adjust to something as different as LC. As I recall, the nausea happened sporadically for about 6 months.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 22:56

BF:
Default Karen...

I truly hope thats all it is, but the nausea every am for the last two weeks....very puzzling. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, it does make sense if toxins are in the fat cells, may make the body a bit woozie I guess...... I'll keep an eye on it and may have to see the Dr.

Do you think that I am getting the appropriate vitamins?

Thanks Karen, Much appreciated!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 21:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Elora, I've had the nausea as well and found that I simply wasn't eating enough. I'd get to the point where I couldn't face food. I wondered if it was psychological -- one day I really remembering thinking this is exactly the way I was when I was 5, refusing to eat lunch! If I say I won't eat this, then they'll freak and give me a cookie just so I won't faint on them.

I ate tuna fish salad that afternoon -- forced myself to eat it -- and the nausea went away. Never came back.

This obviously isn't scientific. But check to make sure you are eating enough. As Karen says, too, this takes some adjustment.

I've had the increased need for sleep too, and I don't know why. The first time I went on Atkins a few years ago I had an immediate boost in energy, and I keep reading that others do. I did PP faithfully for about 2 months, and unfaithfully for another 2, and I have to take at least one half-hour nap a day. Hate it!

As for vitamins, are you taking a daily multiple in addition to what you listed? I don't remember the suggested vitamins off the top of my head, but the book does give you a list.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 13:43

BF:

Alto,

I think I know what my problem is....hormones. I think my body is outta whack (not that it was ever "in-whack") and now that montezumeas revenge has come with no aid of hormone therapy (to me this means that the plan is working. The main reason I started this plan is cause I have PCOS, from what I have read a low carb diet will help correct the problem, the weight issue is a bonus) So for two weeks I was PMS'ing, and because I have only had a handful of periods in the last oh 17 years without the aid of drugs I had trouble actually recognizing the fact that it was PMS. To the extreme of course. I was pregnant twice before, both ending due to hormonal imbalances and I was having all the same symptoms that I had during those pregnancies. I dont know why??? I didnt think of this sooner! But since it started, I have had no trouble staying awake, I dont know about the energy thing yet cause I've been downing midol for the last two days non stop. God, this is torture !

As for the nausea, it stopped when the other started. Yippee! I can actually eat in the am now.

Thanks!