Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 22:11

Plan: my own low carb plan..experimenting
Stats: 255/247/150 Female 508''
BF:
Progress: 8%
Wink pregnancy and atkins?

This is my first post here. I have been on the induction phase for 2 weeks and 2 days now. I still feel as though I have low energy, but I feel like I will start having more energy the longer I stick with this. I have been totally amazed at how I don't crave the carbs anymore. I do have a question that I can't really find the answer to. My DH and I do not have any children yet, but would like to within the year or so. I still have quiet a bit of weight to lose. I wanted to know, When you become pregnant and you aren't at your goal weight and afraid of gaining a ton while pregnant, how do you incorperate the atkins diet while being pregnant. I know that I want my baby (not pregnant yet) to get the nutrients it needs and I would imagine the baby would need some sugar and starches. How does this work? Do you still limit your carbs but maybe allow 50 carbs a day instead of the low 20 like in induction. And what about after the baby is born with breastfeeding. It doesn't seem like it would be okay to be in ketosis while pregnant or breastfeeding. I hope I haven't confused anyone. If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing I would greatly appreciate the help in answers because I really like this woe and want to stay with it. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 00:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/239/165 Male 57
BF:
Progress: 10%

In his book, Dr. Atkins specifically states that if you are either pregnant or have kidney problems you should not start the induction phase of the plan.
--Alex
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 05:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins /my own
Stats: 164/164.0/120 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there
Atkins recommends the Maintenance Phase for pregnancy and breastfeeding. I had a boy in January. During my pregnancy, I was not yet on Atkins, but I was craving bacon in the morning, and I had great salads with protein for lunch. I gained less weight this time than my first pregnancy two years before. At the end of february, I decided to look into Atkins/low carbing to lose the baby weight. I ate from the allowable foods lists, and Iincluded berries, nuts, peanut butter, apples, things with a low glycemic index, and the occasional bar (usually a Zone or Balance bar). I have lost 32 pounds and I am 10 or so from my goal. I don't freak out now that the loss is slowing down. I would rather it go slowly and be all fat loss than try and speed things up and lose muscle. Right now I am actually smaller than when I got preggo the first time. I exercise twice a week at best (besides carrying around my 20 pound 7 month old) As far as getting the right nutrients for your future baby, there is no need for white flour, cookies , potato chips to have a healthy baby. Good luck! I have read other posts here of people who are low carbing in order to get pregnant, so either way, you are in the right place. I think a big misperception is that you HAVE to be in ketosis to lose weight. I believe that is false. I tell people I did Atkins backwards, because I never did induction. Michelle
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 09:06

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Ladybug,

I was on atkins before I got pregnant last year as I wanted to lose some weight before I got pregnant and I didn't want to gain the 70 lbs that I gained with my first son. I lost 40lbs became pregnant and I stuck to the maintenance part of atkins and only gained 20lbs. I had my son in May and started the induction back up at the end of June (I am not breastfeeding) I lost the 20lbs I gained during pregnancy in the one month post pardum- and since starting the induction back up I have lost another 18lbs so far. (38lbs lost since the end of pregnancy) I will remain on the induction until I get closer to my goal weight.

Good Luck to you!!

Last edited by LCalamari : Sun, Aug-10-03 at 09:10.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 15:30

Plan: my own low carb plan..experimenting
Stats: 255/247/150 Female 508''
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thank you guys so much for the responses. I feel really good that I can still do the maintanace part if I get pregnant. I really enjoy this program and I just really don't want to get addicted to the carbs again.

I just want to be as healthy as possible and it gives me a sense of relief that I can still continue with this woe even throughout pregnancy.

I really appreciate your help. Oh and by the way! I have lost 3 more pounds! I cannot believe it. I didn't lose a whole lot on induction and I am still keeping myself on induction, but it is truly amazing how for 3 days you stay the same weight and then all of a sudden you lose 3 by the next morning.

Again. Thank you and I will continue to read and post on this board.