Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%
Default Acne

Just wondering if anybody has noticed any improvements with acne after starting to low carb. I heard it was good for it, and it makes sense, but I'm on day 7 and still havent noticed any improvement
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 18:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 190/184/150 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

From lots and LOTS of expierience with BAD acne, I learned that it doesnt really have a whole hell of a lot to do with diet. Just dont eat really greasy foods, or ALOT of the same kinds of foods. Vary your diet. If you're just changing your diet to the low carb way of eating to clear up your acne.. it's probebly not the best thing to do.
Some Tips I have would be:
DONT EVER POP ZITS!! I dont care if its the size of TEXAS. DONT POP IT. (Unless it's got major head on it, then you can pop it, but only if you can wash your face right after it.)
Dont touch your skin.
Wash it at the most 3 times a day with cool (not cold, not warm)
But dont wash it too much because it will irritate your skin.
and be careful what you wash it with.
Have you been to your dermatologist?
Im an acne recoverer, and its a long road there.
Goooood Luck!!!
!!
Rock, Whitney
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 00/00/00
BF:
Progress: 0%

if you have insurance, go to a dermatologist. for anything other than mild acne, a dermatologist in my experience is the best way to go. i've had great results. if you have cystic acne, those deep, painful bumps in the skin, the derm can put a little injection in it and i swear you won't make it home before you notice a difference. injection sounds bad, but it is really a prick of the skin. i wish i could have had a huge supply of those in the past. good luck. i hope you find something that works.

amy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 00:34
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

If you don't have a very bad case of acne, ask your dermatologist about Differin, It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY, although I am the sort to have quick short bursts of acne, not all the time, but now i never do, anyway, good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

Low-carbing helped my acne (not severe, really, just this patch on my chin that WOULD NOT go away, no matter WHAT I did to it) but what made it disappear was birth control pills. They all have that effect, although I think only orthotricyclin has done the studies. Unfortunately, there's that whole weight gain thing!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 02:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/250/200 Female 6'0
BF:ugh!
Progress: 47%

Actually, contrary to everyone else's experiences, my acne has cleared up this last month! But I'm 31, didn't even get acne until 2 years ago ("adult acne"), and it is definitely hormone-related. In fact, it had finally reached the point that I went to a dermatologist in February and was prescribed the whole retinue of adult-acne meds (except BC, can't take it). Unfortunately I had to stop using all of it because of sun-sensitivity issues. I thought I was doomed to look like a 6' tall overweight teenager (in grad school with a 7 year-old, nonetheless). Lo and behold, I saw my last whitehead over a week and a half ago -- I can't remember my face being completely clear for a number of years. I cannot attribute this to anything but the LC since no other factors have changed. So I don't know -- is it a coincidence? Are the effects of an LC diet different on women of different ages? Different types of acne?

Go figure-- Athena

Last edited by Athena31 : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 02:09.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 08:22
Registered Member

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 240/202/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have sorta of noticed a change in my skin. When I get pimples, they arent as red and I dont get them as much. I used to have HORRIBLE acne but now I use ProActiv and I am on a low carb diet. Both have helped in their own way.