Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 01:20
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 202/176/158 Female 174 cms
BF:30.5%/28%/25%
Progress: 59%
Default Konnyaku Noodles zero carbs?

Read somewhere that there was a noodle made from a Chinese Yam or a type of taro called Konnyaku which was virtually zero in carbs. Found them in my local asian food store and am going to accept that the advice was true as there is nothing listed on the packet in English that tells me the anything breakdown.!!
They are cute little parcels of white noodes that look like a length of rope coiled and then bound in the middle, packed in a tray with water. Cost $AUS1.47. What I will do is have them in a clear vegetable broth then test my BGLs an hour after and see what they do to me. Can't be any worse than the noodle soup (minus the noodles) I ordered today that took my BGLs from 5.4 to 6.8 in one hour. That is outside of my goal so the wonderful soups are off my eating out menu now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 160.7/138.8/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi clearviews, I'm in Perth and I use Shiritaki noodles that are made of yam. The ingredient list on the back of my packet says Yam Starch Powder, 526. I don't know what 526 is, but the nutrition information panel has no carbs, sugars, fats, salt is 10.0gms per 100, and the energy is 20.9 gms per 100. These noodles have a sort of fishy flavour, but you have to drain them, rinse them then microwave them in water for about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse them again, then use them in whatever dish you like. These are a great substitute in spag bol, you just need to cover the noodles in the sauce and let the sauce flavour the noodles. Also excellent in a laksa. Basically the noodles take on the flavour of whatever dish they are in. Not cheap though, but a lifesaver when you just have to have noodles.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 03:39
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 202/176/158 Female 174 cms
BF:30.5%/28%/25%
Progress: 59%

Thanks for all that info.
We had my noodles tonight and all I did was make a broth with gluten free stock cube, add the vegetables and cook them then I added the rinsed noodle bundles to the serving bowls with pork mince meat balls that I had made and fried then poured the vegetable broth over that.
No real taste but they are cooked ready to go and I am going to get inventive with them real soon.
My daughter who is trying to beat Candida at present is staying here and she had them too and it has added one more thing to her greatly restricted menu!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 07:09

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%

hi Jodi,

Aren't yams sweet potatoes ? anyway, after rinsing and draining them and then microwaving them, do they have any taste to it ? Like a fishy taste ? I ask because I wouldn't like them if they do and don't want to waste the money buying them.

May I have your recipe for Laska pls ? I miss laksa ...thanking you..
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 03:02
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 160.7/138.8/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Shiritaki noodles

Hey Samina

As far as I can see on the web sweet potatoes are confused with yams, but aren't the same thing. (That is if you believe everything you read on Wikipedia!)

Anyway,the noodles do have a fishy smell when you first get them out of the packet. After you rinse them, boil them and rinse them again, the odour is pretty much gone, but you still need to put them in some sort of sauce to flavour them. The main thing with these noodles is that they take on the flavour of whatever sauce they are in, but their texture is really different from normal noodles. They're sort of chewy, but not in a bad way - it's hard to explain but they're not unpleasant at all!

I don't have a recipe for a laksa, I just use the laksa paste from the supermarket - the brand I use is Valcom, it has 16.1g of carbs per 100g, and all I do is fry that paste up, add your chicken, steak, seafood whatever you want, coconut milk, fresh beansprouts, garnish with coriander, and pour over noodles. VOILA - sensational laksa!! Do you know, I made my hubby bring me a laksa at least twice a week when I was pregnant - its a wonder I can even stomach them!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 21:26

Plan: Bodytrim
Stats: 224/198/165 Female 170CM
BF:
Progress:

I seem to find these in the little asian shops in the "mostly asian area" in town. They have those awesome little shops that smell amazing. My biggest issue is the packaging is sometimes not in english and the store workers english is also not necessarily all that :P
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 22:22

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Hey guys, I've tried these ones (after doing a great deal of Googling to find them). It's hard to locate them because Asian grocers don't usually have their own website - but you can almost guarantee they'll have them. It will say Konnyaku or Shirataki noodles. They are also available via miraclenoodle.com, which lists a Sydney store with the product.

They only have a funny taste/smell until you rinse them. I just ran hot water over them, rested in flavouring in the fridge overnight, and dry-fried them the next night. They expel water when you do that, so you may have to mop up the liquid.

Their taste is bland, so it goes well in any dish that would normally use rice noodles, but I wouldn't rate them highly as a pasta substitute. If you find you like them and want to use them more, best to order them in bulk from miracle noodle because they end up way cheaper.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 19:13

Plan: Bodytrim
Stats: 224/198/165 Female 170CM
BF:
Progress:

I don't love them as a pasta sub either. Dreamfields all the way baby !
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 20:29

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%

I made spag meat balls sauce and had it with the slimpasta. Despit it being lc it did give me a weight gain overnite. Not too sure if it was the sauce but wil try the noodles again with prawns, butter, chilie and garlice and see if they affect my weight this way. They are available from selected woolworths, not cheap but better than eating regular pasta.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 21:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I use shiritaki/konjac noodles fairly often. They're made out of glucomannan which comes from a type of yam native to Asia, I think. It's nothing like what we call a yam (that's not actually a yam) in the US. Anyway, it's almost 100% fiber, so it is very low carb and low calorie. They give me a bit of constipation and gas though. I counteract it by using some coconut oil the next day.