Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 06:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Sorry, but this is just not true. Heavy cream has less carbs than half and half.

1 fluid oz of heavy cream: 11.03 grams of fat and 0.83 grams of carb
1 fluid oz of half & half: 3.47 grams of fat and 1.3 grams of carb

jtp

You might want to reread KikiKitty's post.

She said:
Half & Half 2 T = 1g Carbs
Heavy Cream 1 T = 1g Carbs

Therefore, I think you'll find her in agreement with you.

Rosebud
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 06:54

Plan: VLC (for now)
Stats: 282/274/220 Male 6'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud

She said:

Rosebud

Hi Rosebud. I'm really not trying to be argumentative.

But I'm re-reading the post, and maybe I'm having a braincramp, but I'm not reading it any differently than when I first read it.

The post said that 2 T of half & half = 1g of carb, while 1 T of heavy cream = 1 gram of carb. Therefore, the conclusion would be that you could eat more half & half than heavy cream for the same carb count. But that's not true.

Again, if I'm just clearly missing something, my apologies. I'm just trying to clear up some confusion.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 06:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud

She said:

Rosebud

It's late here, and I think I am now the one who is wrong.

Yes, I think KikiKitty was incorrect. There are definitely fewer carbs in heavy cream than half & half (or at least, that is what I understand. We don't have half anf half here, just "light" cream, which has only 18% fat, and def has more carbs than the higher fat creams).

Sorry for the confusion.

Roz
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:17

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Well, the kind of heavy cream we have is different here than in Europe, so maybe it's different than the kind you get in Toronto and Australia. These values are taken right off the back of the carton;-) We don't get heavy cream by percentages (at least not at the store Quasi and I shop at). Our heavy cream is a mixture of cream, milk, carrageenan, dextrose, mono and diglycerides, and polysorbate 80. There may be other kinds available, but I have read the labels of all the heavy cream that my grocery carries, and they are all the same. Maybe the pre-whipped kind is different? I'll take a pic of the cartons for you, if you'd like;-) If there is a kind that has less carbs that half and half, I'd love to find it, believe me!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:22
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Yeah, me too...heavy cream is yummmmmmm.

Well, as I said in my journal, I am ready to go shopping this morning. I haven't completed my list, but I do have some things on there specifically for low-carb dieting, so Monday, I'll be armed and ready.

I also need to purchase a new scale, as ours, whenever you activate it (you have to press on it with one foot in order for it to "get ready" to weigh you, then when it's ready, you step on with both feet), it just says "LO". That usually means low battery, but today, my dh lovingly said that it must be because I weigh so little. How sweet, but so untrue! I just think I need a new one. LOL

Will most likely check in a time or two more before we leave on our camping trip. But if I don't, y'all have a great week/weekend and I'll see ya Monday!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:23

Plan: VLC (for now)
Stats: 282/274/220 Male 6'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKitty
Well, the kind of heavy cream we have is different here than in Europe, so maybe it's different than the kind you get in Toronto and Australia. These values are taken right off the back of the carton;-) We don't get heavy cream by percentages (at least not at the store Quasi and I shop at). Our heavy cream is a mixture of cream, milk, carrageenan, dextrose, mono and diglycerides, and polysorbate 80. There may be other kinds available, but I have read the labels of all the heavy cream that my grocery carries, and they are all the same. Maybe the pre-whipped kind is different? I'll take a pic of the cartons for you, if you'd like;-) If there is a kind that has less carbs that half and half, I'd love to find it, believe me!

Oh you crazy So-Cal types with your funky cream and your polysorbate 80.

Kidding of course.

That's strange though. Usually, the higher the fat content in cream, the less carbs. Curious...
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:31

BF:

LOL, well I know on another board we were talking about this, and everyone from Europe said their cream was just cream, and was measured by fat percentage, like 30% cream and so forth. I've never seen that here. Here's a pic, I'm posting a link because the pic is big so you can read everything;-)
Cream vs. Half and Half
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:33

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Kitty and Quasi, I'm in Redlands. Quasi, welcome! I buy meats on sale and freeze for later. Right now I have the makings for two crockpots of stew, and some ribs. Small freezer, unfortunately, but I do the best I can.

Also, my local Albertsons has big bins in the back of the store where they have frozen meat/fish on sale (big time!). Sometimes I'll pick up several items and freeze. It really does help.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:36

BF:

I was just in Redlands yesterday! Small world! I went by Trader Joe's and the Vitamin Shoppe after a doctors appointment, and then bought scrapbooking paper that I didn't need from Collective Journey!

How do you do your crockpot ribs? I need details! ;-)
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 09:13

BF:

The way I did my ribs (pork) was to dump them in the crock pot with some KC Masterpiece original, which I've heard is lower in sugar, but I'm not too sure about that. I might try to find a recipe to make my own sauce. They were good though! this weekend it will be pot roast (tri-tip, never done that before) with onions and carrots.

I'm not familiar with Collective Journey. I've been to the Crackerjack crafts store on State St., it's a nice one! Have you been there?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 09:59

BF:

Cracker Jack Too (the one that used to be a scrapbooking store) closed and moved and are now Collective Journey. It's like Disneyland for scraper's, it's huge! The orignal Cracker Jack is still there, but they only sell gift type items.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 12:12

BF:

Oh I got it! I didn't know Cracker Jack scrapbook was closed. I like going to the gift store. It was always so confusing to me that there were 2 stores, half a block away from each other.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-07, 10:48
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanks for the welcome, Tish! Wow, Redlands, that's pretty close to Kitty and I (we live about 5 mins away from eachother).

I see you are doing SugarBusters....what is that like?

I haven't started yet, I needed to have my "last fling" with junk food/camping food, but I'm ready to give it a go tomorrow. Believe it or not, I weighed in this morning and was only 155. I ate so much "basura" (trash in spanish) over the past few days, but I drank alot of water, so maybe that's why, I dunno.

Anyway, glad to be back and I'm ready to get started!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-07, 14:30

BF:

LOL, you're so naughty! But you know what, when I drink plenty of water, I find I am also more likely to lose weight;-) Water is so amazing!

How was camping? Did you have a blast?
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 10:22

BF:

Quasi, I'm back to a high-fat form of Atkins, but a lot of people like SugarBusters. It's more liberal than Atkins, allowing more fruit and grains, but in limited quantities. Several diff. people may do SugarBusters several diff. ways, but the premise is low sugar, only 3 grams per serving of any food.

Kitty, I found a BBQ sauce recipe that is good and low in sugar, I'll use that from now on instead of KC Masterpiece.