Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 11:55
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey FenwayGuy...nice to see you around the PP threads. Welcome and stop by anytime!

As for the whole fiber "debate" I think that's the case for a LOT of "given" approaches. For example, there is a whole debate on dairy and the fact is I do better with it than without it. And for me, I get irregular (in the opposite direction from what fiber is "supposed to" help with) with too much sugar. So there you go. I think it's definitely critical to pay attention to our bodies and know what works for us. And I, for one, was thrilled that Michael Eades brought forth this "new" view on fiber!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 12:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yup. He da man!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:16

Plan: CKD/Carb Cycling
Stats: 240/231/220 Male 5'7"
BF:19.7%/15.3%/10%
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Hey FenwayGuy...nice to see you around the PP threads. Welcome and stop by anytime!

As for the whole fiber "debate" I think that's the case for a LOT of "given" approaches. For example, there is a whole debate on dairy and the fact is I do better with it than without it. And for me, I get irregular (in the opposite direction from what fiber is "supposed to" help with) with too much sugar. So there you go. I think it's definitely critical to pay attention to our bodies and know what works for us. And I, for one, was thrilled that Michael Eades brought forth this "new" view on fiber!

Thanks Lisa. I will drop by whenever I can!

I agree with you completely on the point re:dairy. I will not drink milk, but love a good, sharp cheddar cheese. Can eat tons of it and it does not affect me in any way. Sugar just does nasty things to me. Under the "too much details", in the past if I overdid it on sugar (which I did when my attempt at low carbing did not work out), I dreaded the trip to the "throne" . It was not pleasant. I quickly learned my lesson re: sugar, and that of course is a good thing overall for my health.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:24

Plan: CKD/Carb Cycling
Stats: 240/231/220 Male 5'7"
BF:19.7%/15.3%/10%
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm a fiber skeptic, too. IMO, it's the phytonutrients in the higher-fiber foods that deserve credit for positive health outcomes, not the fiber itself. It seems like "they" credited fiber almost arbitrarily.

And for a rant of my own... I hate the colon-cleanse scam artists who are proclaiming that 80% of people "suffer" from constipation, and/or 80% of health problems can be solved by using our magical laxatives... or something ridiculous like that.

Kristine,

I have lost track of the number of times I have almost clicked that "checkout and submit order" button on some website selling a colon cleanse product. Each time common sense prevailed. You are correct. It is one of the biggest health scams out there.

My own mother had a colonoscopy(sp?) two years ago. She had to clean herself out before the procedure. I asked her in a roundabout way about what was expelled . It was nothing like what is described by these charlatans. And this was a then 67 year old woman who should have had a ton of stuff coming out just based on her age!!

BTW, please send of that warm weather in Southern Ontario to us in B.C. Looks like fall in Vancouver these last several weeks!
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 15:38

BF:

Colonoscopy? Had one in May. Wasn't really that terrible. Matter of fact, I was totally out of it during the procedure itself. The prep, though, was horrible. They said I could add Crystal Lite lemonade to it. The first glass was not so bad. The second, so-so. Then I realized how much more. 2 full liters. After a while I thought I would just fill the glass I was using (20 ounce) and then put the rest in one more glass just to show there wasn't much left.

I filled one more glass. Then another glass. Then another.

That's when I cried. Literally. The tears are gushing and I'm telling DH that I just can't do it!

Then he said, Well, it's the same dose whether you're a tiny woman or a hulking man. As long as "things" are clear, you've had enough.

I love that man.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 16:40

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi, I just want to drop by. I just saw this thread and has to make a comment. One reason that I am such a fan of Dr. Eades is, he doesn't just say something just so he can hear himself speak. He actually researches his theories long before they even become theories. If need be, he and Mary will make themselves guinea pigs, to try out a new idea or concept. If he supports an idea, he has very good reason to support it. If he rejects anything, he has good reason to reject it. What is frightening is that there are groups that have the power to hide Dr. Eades information from the world.

Ugh, Bawdy, a nurse told me that I need to get a colonoscopy, among other things, now that I just turned fifty I don't wanna do it.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 17:09

BF:

There, there. It's really not that bad. Really. The stuff you drink tasted a little like lemony sea-water (because of the Crystal Lite), but it really wasn't that horrible. I don't look forward to having one again, but if needed, it's fine.

Right before they wheeled me in, they gave me something in my IV they said would relax me. I remember saying that I felt a little woozy. The nurse just smiled and said, "Oh, yea!" Next thing I knew I was back again.

Nothing to it.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 17:39

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Lucky you. When mine was done, I was WIDE AWAKE lol. The nurse felt so badly for me, afterwards she bought me dinner.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 07:54

BF:

I was also lucky in another sense. I went to a smaller, local hospital. A friend of mine went to Maine Med (the largest in the state). After her procedure, they made her stay in the recovery area (with about 10 other people, recovering from various other procedures) and "pass gas" until it was gone. She asked if she could at least go in the bathroom, but they said no. The nurse had to stay and listen to be sure it was all gone!

How embarrassing!!!!!!!!
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I was also lucky in another sense. I went to a smaller, local hospital. A friend of mine went to Maine Med (the largest in the state). After her procedure, they made her stay in the recovery area (with about 10 other people, recovering from various other procedures) and "pass gas" until it was gone. She asked if she could at least go in the bathroom, but they said no. The nurse had to stay and listen to be sure it was all gone!

How embarrassing!!!!!!!!

Wow
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 11:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Right before they wheeled me in, they gave me something in my IV they said would relax me. I remember saying that I felt a little woozy. The nurse just smiled and said, "Oh, yea!" Next thing I knew I was back again.

Nothing to it.

Oh so they put you to sleep. I think I can handle that. Still not looking forward to that. Remember when our biggest worry was what we were going to wear for homecoming? Wasn't that just yesterday?
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:51

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Bawdy! What the heck did they give you!! I was on liquids only for 24hrs, then that night took 1 bottle of mag citrate. It's 8oz, and I mixed it with about 4-6 ounces of crystal light. It was gross, but with a straw it was tolerable. The effect was just a little worse than taking too much magnesium!! No cramps, just several trips to the bathroom.

And remind me never to go to Maine Medical if I have to have another procedure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
When mine was done, I was WIDE AWAKE lol.

That is seriously not something to laugh about!! Was there a reasonable reason why you weren't given anything? There is also a "less invasive" procedure that is often done, even in the MD office, without anesthesia, and can be painful....are you sure you didn't have that?

When I had mine it was pretty much as Bawdy described. My doc was late, trouble getting an IV into the patient before me, and one of the nurses stayed with me, chatting, until he was ready. She said "I'm going to give you something to sleep" and that's about it. Next thing I know the doc is telling me all's well and I'll need another in 10 years. No real discomfort after that I remember.

Oh and PS....Dr Mary Dan Eades first name is "Mary Dan", not "Mary", and apparently she doesn't like being called Mary.
Code:
Dan is not my maiden name, although most people mistakenly assume so. My first name is not Mary; it is Mary Dan, a good old Southern double name. I am named Mary after my mother (Edith Mary) and Dan after my great aunt, Dan. Actually Dannie.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmd_blog/?p=127
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
When mine was done, I was WIDE AWAKE lol.

Quote:
CindySue wrote: That is seriously not something to laugh about!! Was there a reasonable reason why you weren't given anything? There is also a "less invasive" procedure that is often done, even in the MD office, without anesthesia, and can be painful....are you sure you didn't have that?

Well, it was either laugh or cry

Here's what happened: I had to drink that nasty stuff ya'll are talking about the day before. The next day, I went to the hospital, they checked my blood pressure, and gave me a Xanex.

After a bit, they wheeled me into a room, with two nurses and a doctor or lab tech. I had to lay on a table of sorts, and they proceeded to insert the camera/wand/thing. I had to roll over a couple of times, and it was not...... painful.... more that it was very uncomfortable.

The reason I went was due to pains in my stomach, so maybe it wasn't colon-related, come to think of it.

And "oops" on Dr Mary Dan's name lol, I know I'm guilty of leaving the Dan out.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 06:35

BF:

I'm not sure what the stuff I had to drink was, but it was a powder and they said I had to dilute it with 2 liters of water, but that I could flavor the water with anything not red. Two nights before I had to take Exlax, and then the 2 liters the night before. No cramping, just lots of trips to the bathroom.

After the procedure, I did have some cramping.

I think technology has made major strives in this procedure. Even in 2002 it was a lot different, at least at the place I had to take my disabled sister.

It was a medical building, but not a hospital. She's 5'2", about 200 pounds, and in a wheelchair. They took her in and after a couple minutes came out and said they needed me there. Huh?

I get in there, and they said I had to help get her on the table and then hold her while they did the procedure. Huh?

And then afterward, I had to wash her up and dress her in a tiny little bathroom about 4' by 4' with no place to hang her clothes. However they did it, she was "leaking" so there was liquid all down her legs. YOU try cleaning that up in a tiny little room.

I was so shocked I did it, but geez do I wish I had written a nasty letter to the management there.

What if I had been a frail little old lady bringing my wheelchair-bound heavyweight of a husband in? Would they have made me help? And where the heck were all the technicians?!?!!??!?!
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 13:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:

I've used fiber supplements only because they help me to feel full- If I've already had enough calories and protein for the day, and I just have "the munchies" then adding a little Benefiber to my low-carb hot cocoa makes it feel more satisfying.

However, I noticed that Benefiber changed its formula from guar gum to wheat fiber. I suspect that I don't do well with wheat, and that one of the reasons I'm doing well on LC is because I'm no longer consuming wheat products daily. So why would I intentionally add wheat fiber to my diet?