Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Re-committing 100% to Atkins

I started on Atkins a little over two months ago, and it's been quite a ride. I've learned a lot. After a month or so, I felt myself in ketosis, the way other people described it. It was a double-edged sword for me. I'd lost 11 or so pounds and felt really good. More energy, fewer aches and pains. However, my appetite was gone. It was a scary feeling, not being hungry. I realized I hadn't done number two for as many weeks. I had no bowel sounds. It was really scary. I did my research after the fact (should have read up on it before starting, but hindsight's 20-20) and started taking a magnesium citrate supplement, drinking more water, Lo-salting my food, forcing myself up and out for a 15-20 minute walk most days. It helped a lot. I also decided this diet was too extreme, hazardous to my health and I was going to abandon it. I decided to try something more along the lines of paleo/primal, adding back in my yogurt and bananas each day.

Well, after two weeks of Greek yogurt in the morning I was convinced that I needed to stay away from dairy altogether. As for the banana, a former staple food of mine, I was surprised to discover it tasted very sweet, almost too sweet. I'd rather have a few strawberries. My palate had changed. My thinking had changed. A small but surprising success.

I had another, important revelation tonight on reading blogs touting the benefits of cooked-and-cooled potatoes and rice and pasta to feed gut flora. Dangerous territory for me. I tend to fall into a trap over and over thinking I can eat anything I like in whatever quantity I like and lose weight. It's time to stop the madness!

So, after a little straying and some nutritional tweaks (there will no doubt be more as I go along), Atkins works for me. I'm glad I got most of my doubts and fears and curiosities out of my system. Onward and upward (or downward, as it were).

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Jun-01-17 at 21:05.
Sponsored Links