Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 01:51
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've read that the concept of a solid chunk of sleep in total darkness and isolation is not traditional to humans.
What do you make of this?

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn..._25_99/bob2.htm

Quote:
[Outside the western world], and probably throughout human evolution, solitary shut-eye organized around a regular bedtime and a single bout of sleep proves about as common as stock car racing or teleconferencing. Surprisingly, anthropologists have rarely scrutinized the sleep patterns and practices of different cultures, much less those of different classes and ethnic groups in the United States.

An initial attempt to draw back the veils of sleep in hunter-gatherer groups and other traditional societies has uncovered a wide variety of sleep customs, reports anthropologist Carol M. Worthman of Emory University in Atlanta. None of these snooze styles, however, looks anything like what modern Western folk take for granted.

Worthman's findings rip the covers off any lingering suspicions that people everywhere sleep pretty much alike. Far from the wallpapered confines of middle-class bedrooms, sleep typically unfolds in shared spaces that feature constant background noise emanating from other sleepers, various domestic animals, fires maintained for warmth and protection from predators, and other people's nearby nighttime activities.

Adult sleepers in traditional societies recline on skins, mats, wooden platforms, the ground, or just about anything except a thick, springy mattress. Pillows or head supports are rare, and people doze in whatever they happen to be wearing. Virtually no one, including children, keeps a regular bedtime. Individuals tend to slip in and out of slumber several times during the night. In these unplugged worlds, darkness greatly limits activity and determines the time allotted to sleep. Folks there frequently complain of getting too much sleep, not too little.

SO this is evidence people evolved getting a lot of sleep... but it doesn't support the advice to sleep in total darkness, for at least a solid 9 hour block. People sleep in large communal groups, and they are lit by fire... they sleep and wake irregularly.

Oh one more thing:
Quote:
A related study, directed by neuroscientist Louis J. Ptáček of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, finds that a specific gene yanks the biological clock forward in some adults. People who have this gene tend to fall asleep by 8:30 p.m. and to awaken before 5:30 a.m., the researchers report in the September Nature Medicine.

In traditional settings, however, highly variable sleep schedules among individuals and age groups prove invaluable, since they allow for someone to be awake or easily roused at all times should danger arise, Worthman holds.

That people, in a natural environment, sleep and wake irregularly - and the existence of night owls and morning people - are a survival advantage. If someone is more likely to be awake at night, and someone more likely to be awake during the morning, it's a lot harder to get attacked by a competitor.

Personally:
Keeping a somewhat regular rhythm is important (sleeping to your body's impulses that is), and getting lots of sleep is important.I just don't believe it's necessary to sleep a certain time of day, for a certain duration, in total darkness. Everything I read about the sleeping habits of traditional people leads to this conclusion.
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 02:06
Registered Member

BF:

From the same link:

Quote:
If sleeping patterns in traditional societies remain little known, those of prehistoric humans are a total mystery. Still, in settings that roughly mimic ancient nighttime conditions, sleep undergoes an intriguing shift, says psychiatrist Thomas A. Wehr of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) in Bethesda, Md.

When prohibited from using artificial light from dusk until dawn, people who formerly slumbered in solid blocks of time begin to sleep in two periods separated by an hour or two of quiet rest and reflection.

Wehr and his coworkers asked 15 healthy adults to rest and sleep in darkness for 14 hours (6 p.m. to 8 a.m.) each night for several weeks. Volunteers slept for 11 hours each of the first few nights, apparently to catch up on their sleep. They then settled into a pattern of lying awake for a couple of hours before falling asleep for 3 to 5 hours in the evening. An hour or so of quiet wakefulness ensued, followed by about 4 more hours of sleep in the early morning.

Many mammals sleep in two major bouts during the night or day, Wehr says. Animals from rodents to giraffes and the experimental human sleepers secrete elevated amounts of the hormone prolactin when they rest quietly, even if they are not asleep. Prolactin may promote a state of calmness that accompanies sleep, the NIMH scientist suggests.

This is interesting because, if I take a nap for a few hours (3 or 4), I find I wake up and enter a state that sounds very similar to what they describe. Semi-conscious, *veeery* relaxed, sorta sleeping but not. It is a light, pleasant groggy feeling. There is a feeling of peace and euphoria, music sounds more beautiful, jokes are funnier, etc. I have often talked about and described this feeling to other people, how "sometimes you feel so good and semi-awake after a nap"... no one can relate.

I can only do it if I nap in the evening, never happens when I "sleep normally" (probably conditioning, training my body to "cram as much sleep in as it can" before the day starts).
  #273   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 06:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get that too, with the nap. It is so relaxing.
  #274   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 13:14
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have experienced that a few times, but in the morning when sleeping in late. I think the profound relaxation is a mechanism that happens during REM sleep to prevent the body from enacting dreams, AKA "sleep paralysis". BTW, if you want to try having an out of body experience, that's the time to do it.

Wyv
  #275   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 23:57

Plan: Lights Out
Stats: 255/225/190 Male 72"
BF:all
Progress: 46%

>says psychiatrist Thomas A. Wehr of the National Institute of Mental Health >(NIMH) in Bethesda, Md.

Don't believe anything Tom Wehr says.

That's his study, 15 people? How much did that study cost taxpayers?

Susie has spoken to him numerous times. She's tried to get him to come along on TV. He has a lot of good stuff that he's not sharing, about the roots of disease in sleep loss. When she asked him why the people who paid for this weren't entitled to hear the results, he said, "It wouldn't make any difference."

The real reason is that the government doesn't want you to get the idea you need more sleep. Then you wouldn't work as much.

As for the total darkness thing, I find I sleep better that way and I don't wake up. What harm does it do? Is there a reason you have to have light to sleep? And the Anthropologists? Wait a few years, they will theorize about every possible mode of sleep, and there is no way of knowing. But if you read Lights Out critically, you will see that the darkness causes certain things to happen, that don't happen if there is ambient light.
  #276   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 180/173/160 Male 172 cm
BF:24%/20%/10%
Progress: 35%

Hello All!

Yesterday I finally finished reading Lights Out, and I have to say I LOVED it!! I've been trying to diligently follow this (huge) thread so forgive me if this question has been answered before, but here goes:

If it is reccomended that one should sleep in as dark a room as possible (heavy curtains, no blinking lights, etc.) how will the body register/recognize the sunrise if the room is still blacked out? In other words, if I'm still sleeping and can't open the drapes the room will still be blacked out and my body won't "know" it's dawn yet, right?

Also, as far as human evolution goes, I thought one of the theories follows that we did most of our evolving in an equatorial region of Africa that had little, if any, seasonal change. In other words, no real winter to speak of. I know that it takes huge "chunks" of time for us to make any physiological adaptation and perhaps there was enough during the last Ice Age to allow us to develop a seasonal eating pattern. Does any of this sound right?

Also, I'm an aspiring theBear WOE devotee and hoping to move to a carnivorous diet. Obiously that's different from the Lights Out seasonal eating reccommendation, but does anyone have any idea if Susie would find that acceptable in the winter? Just curious...

Thanks folks. I'll be enthusiastically reccommending Lights Out to anyone who will listen. Take care.

Kevin
  #277   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 14:12

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good Questions Kevin! Can't wait to hear the replies!!!
  #278   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavemate K
If it is reccomended that one should sleep in as dark a room as possible (heavy curtains, no blinking lights, etc.) how will the body register/recognize the sunrise if the room is still blacked out? In other words, if I'm still sleeping and can't open the drapes the room will still be blacked out and my body won't "know" it's dawn yet, right?

I've got the window in the bedroom covered with blackout, the stuff they sew to the back of drapes in hotel rooms. A big sheet of it, completely covering the window. At night, this makes the room pitch dark, and I cannot see any light. However, in the morning, I can actually see little slivers of light shining through the duct tape that I've used to seal the blackout to the window frame.

With this setup, I wake up just fine, and later in the winter than in the summer. The goal is to get the room pitch dark at night. If you can leave the door open to a dark hallway that will let the sunlight in come morning, then you've got the best of the situation. If you don't have trouble waking up in the morning, I wouldn't worry about no light in the morning. If you're talking about drapes, there should be plenty of light sneaking around the edges in the morning.

Again, pitch dark at night. If you can see light, it's not pitch dark.

Quote:
Also, as far as human evolution goes, I thought one of the theories follows that we did most of our evolving in an equatorial region of Africa that had little, if any, seasonal change. In other words, no real winter to speak of. I know that it takes huge "chunks" of time for us to make any physiological adaptation and perhaps there was enough during the last Ice Age to allow us to develop a seasonal eating pattern. Does any of this sound right?

While equatorial regions aren't known for their variation in temperature across the seasons, they ARE known for wild variation in rainfall across the seasons. It's the rainy season that plants wait for to flower and fruit. Dormant for most of the year, in the dry season.
  #279   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 22:12

Quote:
Hello All!

Yesterday I finally finished reading Lights Out, and I have to say I LOVED it!! I've been trying to diligently follow this (huge) thread so forgive me if this question has been answered before, but here goes:

Also, I'm an aspiring theBear WOE devotee and hoping to move to a carnivorous diet. Obiously that's different from the Lights Out seasonal eating reccommendation, but does anyone have any idea if Susie would find that acceptable in the winter? Just curious...

Thanks folks. I'll be enthusiastically reccommending Lights Out to anyone who will listen. Take care.

Kevin

Kevin, here's your answer, straight from the horse's mouth:

Kevin,

I appreciate the appreciation.

The way your body and mind actually calculate "dawn" is through the cortisol spike driven by, not just the light, but geo-magnetic incremental daily changes driving toward the bigger seasonal shifts. Therefore; if you start to sleep in rhythm with the circadian cycle (dawn and dusk), your eyes will, in fact, pop open within 15 minutes of dawn on either side. The "wake-up call" in the beginning came from the sun (optically and through skin receptors), but over time, big long time, timers for place and season became embedded in every cell (the brain, for example, is full of magnitite: Biomineralization of ferromagnetic magnetite is known to occur in a number of organisms including animals. Recent investigations have revealed the presence of biogenic magnetite in human brain tissue as well. The presence of magnetite in the brain has been established using a variety of magnetic and electron microscopic techniques. The presence of ferromagnetic material in human brain tissue also provides plausible theoretical mechanisms for the interaction of environmental magnetic fields with the human central nervous system. These relationships are under investigation as well. One surmise being that these magnetic particles in the brain are used to “instinctively” indicate North to humans and animals.)

So, your whole being knows when the sun comes up, unless you stayed up past nine or ten and screwed up the melatonin pulse before midnight. Then melatonin re-surges around 5am for three or four hours, so that if you try to get up, you freel "drugged". That's why staying up late and trying to "catch-up" the next morning on sleep only further destroys normal rhythms, particularly prolactin.

At the top of page 90 in Lights Out, I explained that before various forms of artificial light after dark, human beings experiencing up to fourteen hours of darkness in winter, often spent as much as five of those in an "awake-alert" state very much akin to newborns not quite registering the world. The brain waves are like those monitored in Transcendental Meditation. The NIH agrees that a fourteen hour dark period in winter for as much as six months out of the year is what our ancestors would have experienced. The awake-alert period in adults has now become an "extinct sleep state" because we have shortened our possible sleep to no more than nine or ten hours all year round. That mid-night 4 to 5 five hours was when babies were born, problem solving happened and, literally, when we talked to the gods. Now no one hears from them on a daily or seasonal basis.

In terms of evolution. I lean toward the Pangaea Premise, http://geology.com/pangea.htm that some of the "starter" of the soup of life resided on all of the pieces of Pangaea that became the Continents now extant. All the races, as we identify them, simultaneously adapted differently from the same beginnings, to different latitudes and Hadley Cells http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley_cell, thus the differences in all of us. However, If you remember in Lights Out, the woman in Borneo, catching Orangutan urine to measure hormone content, proved that there are not only yearly seasonal cycles at the Equator, but seven-year larger reproductive cycles over and above the smaller circannual cycles of food supply and weather. As for the Paleolithic Prescription, any primate group has the potential to be omnivourous depending on the season and food supply. It is important to remember, of course, that there is no candy, trans-fat or red dye #2 season, ever. -T.S. Wiley
  #280   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
Good Questions Kevin! Can't wait to hear the replies!!!

I posted a long reply from her yesterday, but it isn't here.

I'll wait another day and repost if it doesn't show up.
  #281   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 08:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've just come across this very interesting article on the BBC news site and thought that it might be appropriate to post it here:

Quote:
Lighting risk to premature babies

BBC News
London, UK
21 August, 2006

Constant exposure to artificial hospital lighting may damage the development of premature babies' biological clocks, research suggests.

Tests showed exposing baby mice to constant light keeps the master biological clock in their brains from developing properly.

Researchers said this could contribute to an increased risk of mood disorders, such as depression.

The Vanderbilt University study appears in the journal Pediatric Research.

The researchers say their findings suggest special care baby units should try to minimise a baby's exposure to artificial lighting - possibly by using a day/night cycle.

Each year about 14 million premature babies are born worldwide, and many are exposed to artificial lighting in hospitals.

Synchronized cells

Previous research has found infants from neonatal units with cyclic lighting tend to begin sleeping through the night more quickly, and gain weight faster than those from units with constant lighting.

In all mammals the master biological clock is located in an area of the brain called the suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCN).

It influences the activity of many organs, including the brain, heart, liver and lungs and regulates the daily activity cycles known as circadian rhythms.

The SCN is filled with special clock neuron cells whose activity is synchronized follow the 24-hour day/night cycle.

The Vanderbilt team had already shown SCN neurons in adult mice begin drifting out of a phase after the animals were exposed to constant light for about five months.

This is accompanied by a breakdown in their ability to maintain their normal nocturnal cycle.

Telltale glow

The latest study found that newborn mice were even more vulnerable to the effects of constant light than the adults.

The Vanderbilt team used genetically modified mice whose clock neurons produced a bright glow when active.

They found neurons in baby mice exposed to the normal light cycle quickly became synchronised.

In contrast, neurons in those animals exposed to constant light were unable to maintain coherent rhythms.

However, when these animals were then exposed to the day/night cycle of light their neurons rapidly fell into line.

The scientists then exposed some mice to constant light for a much longer period - and found that two-thirds were unable to establish a regular pattern of activity on an exercise wheel.

Conversely, newborn mice who spent their first three weeks in a day/night cycle were able to maintain their normal daily rhythm when later exposed to constant light.

Lead researcher Dr Douglas McMahon said more work was needed to establish whether disruption of a baby's biological clock could increase their vulnerability to mood disorders.

"All this is speculative at this point. But, certainly the data would indicate that human infants benefit from the synchronizing effect of a normal light cycle."

Efforts underway

Professor Andrew Shennan, an expert in obstetrics for Tommy's, the baby charity, said the link between light exposure and its effects on mood and behaviour were quite firmly established.

"Currently, any babies who are admitted to a special care baby unit are going to be exposed to incredibly harsh lighting to facilitate care, at anytime day or night that it is needed.

"Many units now try and reduce adverse stimuli including lighting for periods during the day and at night.

"As a result of this research the potential benefit of reducing unnecessary light exposure must now be investigated, as it would seem that there is a strong possibility that this could improve the development of the body clock."

Newborn mice provide a good model for premature human infants because baby mice are born at an earlier stage of development than humans, a stage closely equivalent to that of premature babies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4799445.stm
  #282   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 12:24

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Interesting
  #283   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 00:39
Registered Member

BF:

I was wondering what you guys make of this. I notice it true in myself.

Moods are like music. There are sounds which are louder and sounds which are quieter, but these natural highs and lows are part of an average "volume" level - the overall emotional level. Now that I am no longer underweight, nor overweight, and eating consistently LC, my "volume" is as high as it's ever been in my life. It was abysmally low when fat and on carbs, and even *lower* when I was rather underweight. Now I actually feel normal almost all the time, and most of the time I feel on the happier/relaxed side.

One thing I find interesting is that it is only in the sleep deprived state when I can reach whatever the maximum volume of "happiness" I am able to feel. That is to say, I never (or almost never) feel as emotionally good as I can feel when sleeping 6 or 5 hrs several days in a row. Then the next day - after the first bit recovery sleep - moods are lower than they were before (and I am often very hungry as well).

Quote:

http://www.mentalhealth.com/mag1/p5m-dp05.html

Little Sleep Loss Goes a Long Way in Depressed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Pippa Wysong
The Medical Post, June 4, 1996
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A little sleep deprivation can cheer up patients with unipolar depression.

The problem is after they go to sleep the next night, they wake up even more depressed.

The link between sleep deprivation and depression isn't exactly new, but a study presented at the recent Biomedicine conference sheds light on why there's an association.

It has to do with how active certain parts of the brain are in metabolizing glucose.

Unipolar depressed patients have much higher glucose metabolism than normal controls, said Dr. Christian Gillin, professor of psychiatry and director of the mental health research centre, University of California, Irvine.

He presented findings from studies looking at cerebral metabolism, sleep and depression.

There is often a connection between sleep problems and depression. "Complaints of insomnia or hypersomnia are exceedingly common in patients with depression," he said.

A large epidemiologic study his centre conducted found about 14% of people who complain of insomnia meet diagnostic criteria for depression.

"If they complain of hypersomnia, slightly less, 13%, will meet diagnostic criteria."

Sleep studies of patients with severe or moderately severe depression show they tend to enter REM sleep unusually early compared to normal controls, some have an extended first REM phase and there's a loss in the deeper phases of sleep. Often, patients complain of early morning awakenings.

Some studies suggest sleep deprivation gives relief to 40% to 50% of patients with unipolar depression.

"A full night or a half night of sleep deprivation shows an antidepressant effect," he said. The effects can be quite dramatic.

"If you have a patient with a severe depression, who can barely talk to you, keep them awake for half the night. The next morning they are lucid; elevated tremendously. They show a complete change in their motor activity, they move much more easily and readily, they can talk much better."

Unfortunately, even a small amount of sleep reintroduces the depression. "In some cases, as little as one minute of EEG recorded sleep puts the patient back into depression. Generally, it takes about two hours. It doesn't seem to be dependent on the stage of sleep."

A study was done to see just what happens in the brain of depressed people before and after sleep deprivation, as well as during regular sleep.

Participants underwent PET scans before and after sleep deprivation to see whether there were any changes in glucose metabolism in their brains.

Two groups of depressed people were used, those who improved after sleep deprivation (responders) and those who did not (nonresponders).

The study included 45 depressed patients -- 15 responders and 30 nonresponders. Fifteen healthy controls were used for comparison.

All patients had mild depression. In order to prepare them for the PET scan, patients needed to be able to stay asleep for at least 32 minutes. While they slept they were infused with fludeoxyglucose for the PET scan.

"It was an awful lot of work preparing these people for this study. We had to have them sleep in the lab for several nights with sham I.V.s for them to get used to it. We couldn't include patients who had short REM sleep, or people who had interrupted sleep or severe depression," he said.

Subjects started their study day at 7 a.m. At about 3 p.m., they got their first scan and were rated for depression.

Then "they'd be kept awake all night long, and we rescanned them in the early afternoon. After that they were allowed to go to sleep." Overall, subjects stayed awake for about 34 hours.

There were noticeable differences in the brains of the depressed subjects who responded to sleep deprivation.

"They didn't say they were feeling great, but they did say they felt better," Dr. Gillin said.

The brains of responders showed some significant differences to those of normals.

Before sleep deprivation, PET scans revealed much higher levels of glucose metabolism in their brains.

"Responders have elevated metabolism in the cingulate area and other areas of the limbic system prior to sleep deprivation. It normalizes after they've missed their night's sleep."

The brains of normals and depressed nonresponders did not undergo significant changes.

While the finding doesn't have any immediate take home clinical applications, it is a valuable research tool, Dr. Gillin said.

"It could be we could use this to predict who's going to respond to antidepressant drugs or other forms of treatment," he said.

"I've struggled to see why this works, it seems so paradoxical. You have a group whose sleep is already screwed up because of the depression, you further screw it up by keeping them awake all night and they get better.

Copyright © 1996 Maclean Hunter Publishing Limited
Reprinted with permission.

to top

Internet Mental Health (www.mentalhealth.com) copyright © 1995-2005 by Phillip W. Long, M.D.

The link between sleep deprivation and reducing glucose metabolism in the brain is very, very interesting. My depression cleared up almost instantly when I went into ketosis, I'm not kidding - it was as rapid as losing acne and PCOS (and shedding lots and lots of excess fat without trying). Within a weekends time I went from depressed to *happy* and like a new person.

If it is true that some types of depression are related to abnormal glucose metabolism in the brain, this would explain why many people find depression lifts on the very low carb diet... but others find it is made worse. If sleep deprivation has a similar effect to the LC diet in this respsect (reduces glucose metabolism in the brain), then that would explain why some depressed individuals respond to sleep deprivation in this way. Those who respond to sleep deprivation therapy would probably also respond to a very low carbohydrate diet as a treatment for depression don't you think (as the LC diet would automatically reduce glucose metabolism).

I always thought my weight and restriction obsessive tendencies were just a bad habit I picked up due to having really not liked being fat... perhaps, I do what I do the same reason some others eat to feel better. My moods are best treated by glucose deprivation, whereas emotional eaters moods are treated the opposite way. It's interesting how we think we understand why we do the things we do so well, but in reality we can be so very wrong...
  #284   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 00:45
Registered Member

BF:

For those who's depression is related to the abnormal pattern glucose metabolism in the brain, a high fat diet should be just as important as the low carbs. The more fat we eat, the less the body burns sugar from any source. I do tend to notice my moods, in the rested state, respond *very* well to higher fat intakes (with lower intakes of carb or pro).
  #285   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 00:47
Registered Member

BF:

Oh and just one more thing: I want to clarify my overall well being is much better when well rested, but it *is* true that whenever I feel *my happiest* and best from a purely emotional perspective, it is usually the 2nd day of 5-6 hrs sleep. Fortunately I am not very depressed, and my usual moods are okay.