Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/178.2/148.5 Male 168 cm (?)
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Going to try Atkins, but don't like salad

My name is David and I'm overweight.

Since getting married a little over a year ago, I went from about 156lb to about 180lb. I was quite a bit overweight even then but since I started cooking for myself and my wife we both put on conciderable poundage.

A friend of my wife is on Atkins and highly recommended it to her and so she bought the new diet revolution and promptly gave it to me to read and give her the "gist" of it. I am about 1/2 way through and far enough in to get a start.

We intend on starting our diet on Sunday but I'm trying to work out a menu for the Induction phase. Unfortunatly it seems that Atkins specifies significant quanities of Salad during induction. I don't like salad. I like some veggies but not salad. Any suggestions for alternatives?

In addition, my wife has been given a lot of "oh no! Low-carb diets are dangerous" etc etc. So having to deal with that is a pain too.

Atkins really made sense to me, he's the first that I have read that has mentioned hyperinsulinemia which I suffer from and have a family history of. I'm told that I'm insulin resistant.

Any advice and encouragement would be appreciated, especially about the salad thing.

-David Beaumont

Last edited by TheScream : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 21:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:38

Stats: 292/266/180 Male 69 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

I know how ya feel. I'm not too much of a veggie guy myself. But, if you spread the 3 cups throughout the day, it's not so bad. For breakfast, toss some green pepper in your omelet, at lunch have the lettuce, tomato and onion with your burger, add some steamed veggies to your steak dinner and you're there. When you think about it, 3 cups isn't much at all.

I've only been on Atkins for 2 weeks, and I've already lost 14 lbs. It works!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:42

Stats: 180/178.2/148.5 Male 168 cm (?)
BF:
Progress: 6%

...well yeah... I also need to develop a taste for eggs too. What other breakfast foods can you suggest? I'm concerned if I skimp on the salad/vegies I won't get enough vitamins & minerals.

I assume you mean a burger without the bun.

Last edited by TheScream : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 21:43.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:44

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

David,

Welcome to the forum. About the no salad salad thing

I didn't think I would be eating salads either simply because I'd really burnt out on them with my previous months of attempting weight loss.

One thing you can do is use your lettuce, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes ... any "salad" type foods as wraps or fillers with your meats and cheeses. I wrap lettuce around the outside of a cheeseburger, use mushrooms, a slice of red pepper, and a slice of tomato as a topping or filler. I do similar things with meats I used sliced for lunch or between meals snacks.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your acceptable foods and check out some of the suggestion that fit into the induction phase in the recipe area here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

If you're in doubt about something that meets the induction requirements ask here in the forum. Everyone is very helpful and friendly.

Good luck to you and your wife!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:47

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

YIKES!!!
Yes without the bun. It's easy to take those things for granted.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:50

Stats: 292/266/180 Male 69 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Try the Atkins Website: http://atkins.com/food/recipes/index.html

They have some pretty good recipes too.