Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 05:43

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

You could use a small amount of turmeric powder to make it yellow. A little bit of the stuff goes a long way though so start with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of it.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 16:11

Plan: Atkins/CKD?
Stats: 183/160/130 Female 5'5"
BF:36%/30??/15-18%
Progress: 43%

My boyfriend is Indian.... and he has tons of Indian friends. Every recipe of butter chicken we have ever eaten is bright orange.... not creamy yellow-ish, like the picture. Sometimes, the color is closer to a dark yellow, but it's usually more of an orange. I am 100% sure I'm talking about butter chicken, merg makhani (sp).

Chicken Tikka Masala should be dark-orange/red in color.... different dish.

I'm not the picky one. I don't care what color it turns out, as long as it tastes good. It's my BF who's a huge pain in the butt about food. I normally cook for myself and he does his own thing anyways... but it would be nice to make something that we can eat together one day.

I swear... if I have to add food coloring, I'll do it.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 20:13

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

SkinnySoon, I totally know what you're talking about - and no, you're not crazy. Often, what is sold in Indian restaurants as 'butter chicken' has a good amount of tomato paste added to it...hence the orange hue (turmeric+tomato=orange) i would think that this recipie would be excellent with a few spoons of good tomato paste added...and then maybe your bf would eat it? what do you guys think? hope that helps!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 21:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The chicken for butter chicken that is served in restaurants is usually cooked tandoori style and added to the sauce. That's what makes the sauce reddish. There is usually some sort of tomato product in the sauce too.

Patak's makes a good paste if you don't mind food colouring, but you can make it yourself.

I love butter chicken.

Karen
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 21:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The cardamon is no problem, the saffron though, that's almost gold
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 00:47

Patak's is awesome.... but it has too much sugar in it for my taste. My BF uses it all the time to make tandoori chicken on the BBQ.

I think you guys are right about the tomato paste. The place we go to uses crushed fresh tomatoes. Whenever I eat there, even though I try to stay "legal", I could swear that I'm eating alot of hidden carbs I'm not expecting.

...and right again about the tandoori chicken added to the sauce. That's exactly how they make it.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 00:51

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Apologies, it's just that in the UK butter chicken is not usually red/orange, but is like the picture - very similar to korma and pasanda in colour.

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Aug-13-04 at 01:09.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 04:43

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Default skinnysoon

I've posted this recipe before, i have to say that i think it tastes awesome!!and you'll be pleased to know that it is an orangy colour!
Butter chicken
25gms butter
1 onion,finely chopped
1 clove garlic-crushed
2 large boneless,diced chicken breasts[about 600 gms]
1/2 tspn each of ground ginger,cinnamon,salt,tumeric & mild chilli powder
3/4 -1 cup cream
1 Tblspn tomato paste
1/4-1/2 tspn garam masala

Melt butter, saute onion and garlic.
Combine spices [not garam masala] and toss chicken until well coated.
Saute chicken, stirring until golden.
Stir in cream and tomato paste.Sprinkle with garam masala.
Cover and simmer 8-10 mins...mmmm
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 11:28

I think I'll try both recipes.... but I won't have the time for a couple weeks. (i'm going out of town)

Demi... no worries. I'm sure it comes prepared in many different ways, and colors too.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 01:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Patak's is awesome.... but it has too much sugar in it for my taste. My BF uses it all the time to make tandoori chicken on the BBQ.
I thought it probably had sugar in it too until I checked the ingredients on the website.

Water, Tamarind, Ginger, Salt, Coriander, Cumin, Garlic Powder, spices, Acetic Acid, Colours (E163, E122, E129), Lactic Acid

It has 17.8 grams ECC for 100 grams which is about 1/3 of a bottle. That's loads more than you need for a whole chicken and it's usually mixed with yogurt for marinating. So, it's not as bad as first thought.

If you like spice, Patak's lime pickle rocks with fried eggs and it's very low in carbs.

Karen
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 11:39

I don't know which one you're using, but my bottle says 4 grams of net cabs per serving, which is only 2 tbls. I never read the ingredients to see where all the carbs were coming from, but I'm happy there's no sugar in it. It's probably from the tamarind.... but spices add up carbs fast too.

It's the way he makes it that adds up the carbs. When my BF makes tandoori chicken, he uses the entire bottle and mixes it with a full 32 oz tub of yogurt and puts about 5 pounds of chicken in it. We cook for the "boyz" on Friday nights sometimes.

I still eat some of it, but I wonder how many carbs I get from it because it's really hard to figure out carbs from marinades when your not eating all the marinade.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 09:08

Plan: undecided
Stats: 245/239.5/150 Female 5'3" or 5'4" not sure
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default OMG>>> YUMMMM!

I have to say, I've never even cooked an Indian dish before but I think I done good on this one.

I happen to love Indian food, and have never had this dish, so maybe it didn't come out "the way it's supposed to"... but I could've eaten the whole thing!!

I used Natrushka's recipe, but I searched for a regular recipe for Murg Makhani - got a good one on this site: http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/Mk...nBttrChickn.asp
because I saw the comment about blandness and lack of chilies and/or garlic.

So I added 1/2 teaspoon (didn't want to burn off my tongue) of green chili paste, and 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic with Nat's recipe. Also one tbsp. of garam masala.

I REALLY WISH I had made a lot more...it really was decadent, aromatic, delicious, and tempting.

Thank you!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 16:32

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/163/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I want to thank you so much for posting this recipe...I bought about 50 pounds of thighs and drumsticks at 27 cents a pound and was getting tired of buffalo wing style chicken...

This is the best tasting chicken recipe i have ever tasted in my life...I love it!! Now I know what to do with the 40 pounds I have left!!! Thank-You Thank-You Thank-You!!!!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 18:48

Plan: Carb Cycling Anita Style
Stats: 175/165/135 Female 66
BF:BMI 28%
Progress: 25%

We had this for dinner tonight and I thought it was wonderful. I served all the non LC people safron rice and rolls with it and I had brussel sprouts. It was very easy to prepare and the taste was definately something different than what I usually make. I will be making this again. Thanks for sharing!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 340/312/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

The bright orange that's typical of tandoori chicken, and of dishes made with tandoori chicken, just comes from red food coloring mixed with the yogurt (or sour cream, if you're sub'ing) in the marinade. Nothing complicated about it -- all my Indian cookbooks name the red food coloring.

Haven't done an intro yet, but I will eventually. In any case, I used to cook for a living, and Indian was among my favorite types of cooking. Love the complexity of flavors. This recipe is very much like the butter chicken recipe I use.