Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Why am i losing and gaining the same .4 over and over?

K i dont get it... First 2 weeks in...11 pounds..great! Now nothing. I have been losing and gaining the same .4 every day for the past couple of days and really i just want to smash my scale. Even with throwing in a 15 minute treadmill Hiit session and having my cals at 1000 or below and my net carbs under 20...im still not going down on the scale. I know its not a pms issue and i know its not a carb creep issue and i have been 100% OP ..no cheating.. This is sooo discouraging. I dont feel like my clithes fit looser either. I just want to give up cause i feel like for some reason i was losing faster when doing low fat, low cal...but i like that im not chronically obsessed with food on this diet and im not hungry all the time anymore. I just dont want to be on a diet where im losing and gaining the same pound over and over like a yo-yo..its discouraging.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 12:39
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Sorry to hear you aren't losing... can you maybe share what you are eating... we'd be able to see if there's something that you've missed?

Just DON'T give up! Cause the LC WOE really does work! Most people don't & won't lose weight every single day...

Last edited by Just Jo : Sat, Jan-23-16 at 12:42. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 15:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have had terrific advice from many members answering all your previous questions. Please do smash your scale...Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health. You are doing fine and overcoming food addiction without sugar and carb cravings. Not hungry and not obsessed with food is a huge victory in a short time.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-24-16 at 11:04.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 16:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Sorry to hear you aren't losing... can you maybe share what you are eating... we'd be able to see if there's something that you've missed?

Just DON'T give up! Cause the LC WOE really does work! Most people don't & won't lose weight every single day...

I intermittent fast till 3..

Examples of Breakfast/lunch include:

2 eggs scrambled w/ 1tbsp sugar free ketchup
1 cup of mixed greens w/2tbsp 0 carb dressing
10 prawns sauteed in butter w/ garlic and salt
1/2 cup of spinach w/ 1 raw egg + 1/4 cup ricotta cheese and 1 tbsp shredded mozza skim baked
1/2 cup diced cucumber w 1 tbsp diced red onion w/ 3 tbsp tzitki(1cb each tbsp)
4 oz chicken breast cooked over 1 cup salad greens and 0 cb dressing
0 carb turkey jerky
0 carb turkey/chicken peperoni
Almond flour pancakes made with 1 egg and 1/4 cup whey protein powder(0 carb, no flavor) 3net cb per 3 dollar sized pancakes.
Chicken bacon(1cb per slice)
Russell Stocer Sugar Free C

These are just an example of all the different meals ive eaten and snacked on
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 22:43

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

NetC - Food Item
01.2 - 2 eggs scrambled w/ 1tbsp sugar free ketchup
01.0 - 1 cup of mixed greens w/2tbsp 0 carb dressing
03.0 - 10 prawns sauteed in butter w/ garlic and salt
03.0 - 1/2 cup of spinach w/ 1 raw egg + 1/4 cup ricotta cheese and 1 tbsp shredded mozza skim baked
05.0 - 1/2 cup diced cucumber w 1 tbsp diced red onion w/ 3 tbsp tzitki(1cb each tbsp)
01.0 - 4 oz chicken breast cooked over 1 cup salad greens and 0 cb dressing
01.0 - 0 carb turkey jerky
01.0 - 0 carb turkey/chicken peperoni
04.0 - Almond flour pancakes made with 1 egg and 1/4 cup whey protein powder(0 carb, no flavor) 3net cb per 3 dollar sized pancakes.
01.0 - Chicken bacon(1cb per slice)
??.? - Russell Stocer Sugar Free C (some of these have 25g sugar alcohol per serving)

The pre-processed foods are tricky. send the ingredient list on the processed meats, 0 carb condiments and whey protien - I can take a look at those too. I made what I consider agressive estimates on NC (like .5 for an egg). I'm not very familiar with those sugar alchohols. I believe they are limited or you "count" some of that as carbs with atkins. If I find where I'll post back.

Overall tho, looks like Low Carb to me I myself have tried to gradually move away from the stuff that comes sealed in packages to stuff that's not so sealed up. It is less convenient I'll admit.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 10:37

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It's been such a short time I would give it some time.

1000 cals though, with exercise, that might work against you if you do it long enough. Low cal, low carb, plus exercise = triggers your metabolism to grind to a halt. YOu can google "metabolic damage" and there are tons of articles.

Tom Venuto is a bodybuilder and has collected a nice set of articles about this

Quote:
Starvation mode and metabolic damage are also not scientific terms, which is another reason they are unduly dismissed. If you look up "adaptive thermogenesis" however, (the technical term for the metabolic decrease part of starvation mode), you'll find plenty of evidence proving that it's real. It affects some people more than others due to genetic and lifestyle factors and it's not a stretch to suggest that metabolic damage hits women harder than men.

Details about the mechanisms and hormones involved are beyond the scope of this article and would put 90% of our readers to sleep anyway. What's important for now is that you understand this: starvation dieting causes rapid weight loss at first, but also causes bad stuff to happen to your body that makes continued weight loss more difficult and weight regain more likely. It's a very complex process, involving numerous feedback loops and body systems.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
It's been such a short time I would give it some time.

1000 cals though, with exercise, that might work against you if you do it long enough. Low cal, low carb, plus exercise = triggers your metabolism to grind to a halt. YOu can google "metabolic damage" and there are tons of articles.

Tom Venuto is a bodybuilder and has collected a nice set of articles about this

Well that sucks.. Because i had 80% of my actual stomach removed back in 2013, i could only eat 1/4 of a cup of food in a sitting. I was living at 500 calories on average for over a year before regain happend(my fault for emotional eating). So technically i could have damaged my metabolism then? I thought starvation mode ect didnt matter since it was a myth...
This could make weight loss challenging.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 21:53

BF:

Hm, well the fitness people who say you really can damage your metabolism, also say it's recoverable. So you might have a recovery period where you don't lose as fast, but if you think of it as a rebuilding period so you CAN lose regularly, maybe that will make it less sucky?

One thing I thought was sensible is to add food gradually. If you are in equilibrium at 1000 calories, then increasing gradually makes sense to me. otherwise it's regain city. Plus you might feel better right away and have more energy for whatever movement you want to do.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 01:09
Registered Member

BF:

I do seem to do better around 1000. I did 2 exercise sessions. Did an Hiit session 2 days ago and a swim session for an hour-continuous laps and the scale moved down a pound today so im hoping the exercise is kickstarting it more.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 08:50

BF:

that is good news and good luck! eat !
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 09:05

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

If this is your week 3 with LC please keep in mind that even in Dr Atkins book this is the week you see the least amount of losing.

Its the week of adjustment!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 16:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinleigh
If this is your week 3 with LC please keep in mind that even in Dr Atkins book this is the week you see the least amount of losing.

Its the week of adjustment!

oh! i had no idea there was such a week. Thanks for the heads up..that would make sene