Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 15:49
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Baked Chicken and Roasted Vegetables

This dish is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...ted-vegetables/

This dish is a “set it and forget it” meal. Love to throw this in the baking pan when I’m tired and want dinner to cook itself. This recipe delivers on that! Doesn’t get any easier! And it is ever so good! The carrots make this one not Induction friendly, buy you can increase the jicama, substitute zucchini pr pattypan squash, or just omit the carrots altogether until you get to OWL. I used calaba squash instead of jicama in the batch pictured above. I change up the veggies depending on what I have on hand and what is in season. Eggplant works well in this dish. Just so you know, the original recipe I modified for this dish calls for potato wedges instead of jicama. This dish is only Induction friendly if you skip the carrots.

INGREDIENTS:

20 oz. deboned chicken breasts, or 2 legs & 2 thighs

5 oz. jicama, peeled (or 10-12 oz. summer squash)

4 oz. yellow onion

8 large cloves garlic

4 Roma tomatoes

½ tsp. oregano, dried

Dash salt & black pepper

3 T. olive oil

2 medium carrots (omit for Induction)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 425º. Leaving skin side up, place chicken in 9x13 baking pan and drizzle l T. of the olive oil over pieces. Next, peel and cut jicama or squash into potato-like pieces. Space evenly around the chicken pieces. Peel and cut carrots into 1″ pieces and arrange around the meat also. Next cut the tomatoes into wedges and space decoratively, skin side up, around the pan. Try to avoid laying the tomato wedges directly atop the chicken or the skin won’t brown as nicely. Next cut the onion into small wedges, separate layers, or cut into ringlets and arrange the onion over the entire pan next. Cut garlic cloves in half and arrange evenly in pan, being sure to get some of that atop the chicken itself! Now sprinkle on the spices and drizzle the remaining olive oil over all. Try to moisten everything with oil. Bake uncovered at 425º for about 1½ hours. Smaller, thinner pieces of chicken, smaller dicing of veggies and varying ovens will impact cooking time, so check the dish after 1 hour if your chicken pieces are less than 6-8 oz. in size. Voila, a meal in one pot fit for a king! Hubby just LOVES this dish!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 serving, each containing:

410 calories
21.3 g fat
9.85 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 6.95 g NET CARBS
43.3 g protein
604 mg. sodium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 11:19

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

This looks good....and best of all easy!!

I love jicama raw, but have never had it cooked. Is it tunipy??
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-11, 09:10
Patience Personified

No, jicama really doesn't have much flavor at all cooked this way...It's just a slightly sweet potato substitute. I more often sub various squash or eggplant for the jicama in this recipe now because the jicama has so little flavor for me. Only way I've ever cooked it where it has much flavor, IMO, is my hash brown recipe: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...ama-hashbrowns/

or my jicama fries recipe: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/jicama-fries/
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 08:43

BF:

Those "hashbrowns" do look pretty good.

Think I'll do my chicken with squash instead. Going today to buy supplies. I'm planning on making a large batch so dh and I have lunches all week.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 17:14
Patience Personified

Hope ya like it!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 17:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks for posting this recipe!
I took it as inspiration to make my own version with veggies and its was DELISH!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 07:15

BF:

I made this yesterday, really good. I used 4 legs and 4 thighs and have lunches for the week!

I used butternut squash and carrots as that is what I had on hand. Easy and tasty!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 08:24
Patience Personified

Glad you folks liked this. It's soooo easy! Sometimes instead of oregano, I'll put eggplant in this recipe and use my Shawarma seasoning instead. Makes it a totally different and Middle Eastern type dish: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...ma-spice-blend/
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 07:56

BF:

mmmmm that sounds good Buttoni! I am going to check out your blog now!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-11, 05:03
Patience Personified

Well, the blog is not totally Primal by any means, Bacontooth, (Atkins really). But many of my recipes "fit" nicely into a Primal way of eating. And for the record, I regularly scan my site with a reputable scanner and it comes up clean every check. http://www.virustotal.com/url-scan/...f9d1-1300615322

Please note that the OLDER POSTS link only appears way down at the bottom of the displayed page. Wish they'd offer a link for that in the sidebar or up at the top of pages as well.

Last edited by Buttoni : Sun, Mar-20-11 at 05:09.