Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/215/182 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default First day

First day, first post, after 6 months of minimal success on a low-calorie diet.

How does this look for a first day on Atkins induction?:

1 coffee with splash full fat milk
4 eggs boiled
1 teaspoon Hellmans full fat mayo
1 coffee with cream
Turkey breast with fried mushrooms, broccoli, stilton

Is this OK? I have a holiday to go on in 4 weeks and I need to lose some weight desperately.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 11:44

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Is that for a day or just one meal. I hope the later You'll probably need to readjust what you think you need to eat in regards to dietary fat and amount of food.

What you ate looks good, you just might need to eat more.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 13:49

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Hi there & welcome

I just wrote this to another new person & since it's my post I copied it here for you too! Some advice & things you can do to make your transformation to this new way of eating & hopefully a new way of life a bit easier for you!

I keep hard boiled egg in the frig in the event I need a snack, also cream cheese & celery sticks are a good snack too very low carbs.
3 small celery sticks filled with cream cheese:
Carbs: 4.5 - Protein: 4.4 - Fat: 16.8 - Fiber: 1.7 - Calories: 181
3.9 x 1 Ounce (oz) Celery, raw
1.7 x 1 Ounce (oz) Cheese, cream
I weighed the celery before & after filling to get an a curate count!
Carrots are not good during induction because of their glycemic index!
No fruit for awhile!

I know coffee is allowed on induction but I think wine is not.

If you use artificial sweetners only use 3 packs a day & only use Splenda all the others are a no no.

Count your carbs & keep them under 20! VERY important!!!

You also want to get more fat than protein so bacon & very marbled red meat are great! I have enjoyed the taste of bacon & eggs so much I have eaten them for lunch & dinner some days lol!

Having a food scale helps take the guess work out of things! I got a small one at Wallyworld for $14.95! Game changer!

Tracking what you eat on the "My Plan" on this forum is a great way to see what you are eating daily! & a good way not to over do the carbs! Plus you can click & have that days food go into a journal so others can see & help you if need be!

If you have not read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book you should! VERY informative! You can download an ebook for under $7!

Eating any package foods that say "low carbs" is not a good idea because they always have hidden carbs, use artificial sweetners not allowed on Adkins & even artificial sweetners gives your brain a sweet taste that keeps those cravings coming back!

For some good tips look here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#1

Last edited by Charms09 : Mon, Oct-31-16 at 14:22.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 15:42

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:

Hi, Fefster. Welcome to Low-Carb University.

If you want to do Atkins correctly, you need to consult the official Atkins Induction Plan. You'll find it Here.

You'll easily compare what you're eating to what is allowed. The list you posted is extremely skimpy, if that's all you ate in a day. However, if you weren't hungry and continue to feel well, the food choices are fine. If you feel dizzy or lose energy, you probably need more salt. Try a couple of cups of bouillon or salty broth.

Best wishes.

P. S.
Quote:
I have a holiday to go on in 4 weeks and I need to lose some weight desperately.
In four weeks, you may expect to lose 5-10 lbs. If your holiday lasts four weeks, you'll probably get them all back. Try to think of this change in eating as a way of life, not a temporary solution. Nobody really cares if you weigh a bit more or less between now and a month from now. Why not postpone everything until after your holiday? Have a good time, and then come back here for the permanent answer to your future health.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 18:03

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I was going to say something very similar to what Barb said. Really, if you start on a low carb way of eating, it's best to continue. You CAN eat amazingly well, low carb, on vacation. Think steaks and thick juicy pork chops, creamy sauces and plenty of bacon and eggs for breakfast.

But if that, at least at the moment, doesn't sound like what you want to eat on your vacation, hold off. It's harder to get restarted than to get started, you know?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 03:32

BF:

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

That meal plan was for a whole day and I even struggled with dinner. I found myself quite full really.

I know that it's not great to start and go on holiday but it means so much to me to get into a few dresses I have bought. It's a rare event this holiday and being a bit thinner will mean the world to me.

I will investigate the food diaries now.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 08:13

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

No problem, Fefster. Did you know that putting heavy cream in your coffee is better than milk? Nearly zero carbs in heavy cream.

Since you've decided to go for it, I really do recommend that you plan now for ways to stay on plan on holiday.

Three months into my first year of LC, I went to Italy for three weeks, because my daughter was having a baby. I stuck with my plan for nearly every meal. I don't eat grains, but twice I had a small serving of pasta that Daughter's MIL had made from scratch.

Twice, instead of scraping toppings off pizza, I ate one slice and then scraped the rest.

And I had gelato three times.

No birthday cake for SIL, though, just gave him best wishes. It's easy to stay on plan, if you plan ahead.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 09:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I adjusted my view on "treats." Steak and pork chops and heavy cream and shrimp and spinach (instead of pasta) alfredo and fra diavolo are all ways I eat out with friends, have a good time, and still stay low carb.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 10:16

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Fefster. Good start, but I agree. That's not a lot of food for a day. The second two weeks of this way of eating I was on vacation. I kept on plan the whole time, eating all the fatty, delicious foods we're allowed. I was very hesitant about starting at that time, but I have found I am not deprived with all the yummy foods I can have. I think it's this mindset that has me on plan for over four months now. You can do this! It's so much better than low fat, low calorie.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 05:41

BF:

Wow, well I must say that I cannot believe what is happening.
After 3 months on a low-calorie diet and having no weight loss for the last 4 weeks, I am seeing the scales shift.
After two days! This is crazy, I can't believe it, but 4lbs have melted away already. I know it's only water but I never thought it would work so well.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 05:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
No problem, Fefster. Did you know that putting heavy cream in your coffee is better than milk? Nearly zero carbs in heavy cream.

Since you've decided to go for it, I really do recommend that you plan now for ways to stay on plan on holiday.

Three months into my first year of LC, I went to Italy for three weeks, because my daughter was having a baby. I stuck with my plan for nearly every meal. I don't eat grains, but twice I had a small serving of pasta that Daughter's MIL had made from scratch.

Twice, instead of scraping toppings off pizza, I ate one slice and then scraped the rest.

And I had gelato three times.

No birthday cake for SIL, though, just gave him best wishes. It's easy to stay on plan, if you plan ahead.

Thanks for the advice. It's an all inclusive resort so that should really help, because I can just take us much as I like of allowed foods from the buffet.
I just feel that food is less important to me than looking nice in my clothes, so I don't mind restricting a bit.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 06:53

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:

Quote:
an all inclusive resort so that should really help, because I can just take us much as I like of allowed foods from the buffet.
Great! This is what makes LC a good life plan. You can eat regular real food when you're hungry, and NOT feel hungry the rest of the time! If you get your menu in the groove now, you can have a fun holiday and a continuing LC life as well. That's what it's all about.

Best wishes.