Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default What are some common food intolerances on atkins?

Is the most common one eggs? Is there a list of food on atkins that are common triggers to diarrhea. How does one know if they have a food intolerance and what effect does this have on those who do atkins? Are there some people who can't do atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 04:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Common food intolerances are dairy (one of a few different reasons cream is limited), eggs, peanuts (shouldn't be on a VLC but some include it). Diarrhea is an uncommon side effect, constipation is more common, but there are some previous threads here about it. If you way over indulge in eggs, it is possible to start an egg intolerance that you didn't have on a normal amount. (Eliminate then reintroduce small amounts)

The best way to determine a food intolerance for you is to eliminate that food completely for 3-4 weeks, then reintroduce a serving per day for 3 days, if OK after a few days, then that food likely OK for you . Must reintroduce only one food at a time. Chris Kresser's book has the details on an elimination diet.
One member here is intolerant of a large number of foods, inc. protein like chicken, but she can still "do Atkins".
You dont have to eat anything you do not like or are intolerant of.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 09:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Let's add gluten to that list. Lots of low carb "products" include gluten. Also things like some sugar alcohols (sorbitol, isomalt, etc). Almonds do me in very badly, so almond flour is an issue.

IMO (an ingredient in some protein bars), inulin (a sweetener/fiber).

If you eliminate all the product-y types of food and it goes away, then I'd suspect something in their ingredient list.

I used to eat a Quest bar every day, but it really played havoc with my gut.

I had a test done at Enterolab.com and found I was intolerant of almost everything I was eating regularly on LC. So, I essentially switched all my foods to things I wasn't eating regularly: duck, lamb, fish for my main proteins. Stopped eating most nuts. Eggs only rarely. Dairy, almost never. And I cut out the NSAIDs that probably caused this issue in the first place.

One can work around just about every possible food intolerance just as long as you don't get discouraged.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 09:35

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
One can work around just about every possible food intolerance just as long as you don't get discouraged.

I never eat eggs, dairy (all forms), gluten or any grain (not low carb any way) or any soy plus any chicken or beef. Like Nancy I had testing done at Enterolab and discovered my food intolerances. That was 5 years ago. I eliminated major gut issues by removing these foods. I also avoid Nsaids. I was very sick and now I am not so I have no desire to add things back. There are enough foods to eat without eating the ones that cause me trouble.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 12:20

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

for me - the answer is: grains, dairy, peanut butter, coconut (oil), soy, artificial sweeteners. All have a detrimental effect on me, not all are bathroom related, some are stomach issues, others are skin, headaches and general aches/pain EVERYWHERE or even just uncontrollable hunger.

Elimination diets are where it's at to figure out what you can do. Everyone is different.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 13:31
Registered Member

BF:

I currently only consume the following foods. Bacon sausage eggs, beef/pork and brocolli with butter and diet soda, almonds, cheese. Which of these should I cut out to see if its either stalling me or causing stomach issues. I'm guessing the eggs, almonds, diet soda, and cheese and butter?

Which would leave me with bacon sausage pork and beef and brocolli. I know I have other meat and veggies to eat but i'm kind of trying to make this simple for me and i have a particular taste.

Like out of the induction list which foods would be eliminated at the start so you can do induction and an elimination diet at the same time? Anyone have a list of induction friendly elimination diet friendly foods?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 03:40

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

as nuts are not on the induction list why not try dropping them first?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 08:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
I currently only consume the following foods. Bacon sausage eggs, beef/pork and brocolli with butter and diet soda, almonds, cheese. Which of these should I cut out to see if its either stalling me or causing stomach issues. I'm guessing the eggs, almonds, diet soda, and cheese and butter?

I'd eliminate the eggs, almonds and dairy products (cheese, butter, cream). If that doesn't work, switch the beef/pork to a protein you don't eat so often (chicken or lamb?).

You might try using olive oil or ghee on your cooked veggies. Both are delicious.

I'd known for a long time that eggs were suspicious, but I didn't want to believe it. How'd I know? Well, any time I ate eggs my stomach would gurgle like crazy.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 10:50
Registered Member

BF:

Alright i'll give these suggestions a try.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 15:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Bacon & sausage have additives you may be sensitive to. It would be better to eat unprocessed meat, then add foods like bacon back one at a time to see if they affect you.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-16, 10:07

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Could be the diet soda too. All the chemicals. As well, even though it's not real sugar, some people have a reaction very similar to it when eating them.

You may not have noticed it in the past if you drank it when you ate the standard American diet. Just because that diet comes with it's own issues, an artificial sweetener issue would just be one more thing buried among others...if that makes sense.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Insulin lowering
Stats: 144/134/122 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

To everyone not doing dairy, how are you getting your fat? I really don't want to do dairy (know that I am intolerant through a test but the outward signs are not visible), but butter and heavy whipping cream are the only things I can think of to get my fat grams high enough. I guess I don't eat the kinds of foods you add oil to.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 10:28

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnM0305
To everyone not doing dairy, how are you getting your fat? I really don't want to do dairy (know that I am intolerant through a test but the outward signs are not visible), but butter and heavy whipping cream are the only things I can think of to get my fat grams high enough. I guess I don't eat the kinds of foods you add oil to.

What are you using the cream and butter on? Most things you can use butter on would work great with olive oil (for me anyway). Cream's a tough one if you're using it to make sauces, but if it's for coffee, try almond mild and coconut oil (I use this combination and find it delicious).
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 11:01

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Also, cooking in oil, bacon fat, lard, etc is a great and delicious way to get extra fats. As are sauces.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 02:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A classic thread: The High Fat Diary Free List!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453383