Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-16, 01:05

Plan: Atkins 20 plan
Stats: 215/202.4/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Calories too low.. Need choices

I have been taking a closer look at my eating meue because my weight was stalled for about 2 weeks last night, I ate:

Stuffed chicken meatloaf with ricotta and mozzarella cheese cal 272 carbs 3 - dinner
A frozen breakfast bacon and egg no bread and one cup of coffee with cream
Lunch - 1/4 dark meat of Peruvian chicken carbs 9 cal about 200 or less 2 pieces
And 1 cup of green beans with butter. Look like I m at my limit with carbs but my calorie side is low. I weight 200 pounds. How can I increase the calories without going over carbs. My total carbs was about 21 and calories was 850

My goal is to lose at least 30 pounds on the Atkins 20 lose the remaining 40 pounds on the atkins 40 plan which increasing my carbs to under 40 g and eating from all of the food groups.

Last edited by my2girls2 : Sat, Sep-10-16 at 01:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-16, 04:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
How can I increase the calories without going over carbs. My total carbs was about 21 and calories was 850

You could add any pure fat, example, more butter on your veg. You could add a salad with olive oil (where are the 2 cups of salad that must be eaten? ...it's there for a reason)

But if these foods satisfied you and you were not hungry, then you are using your "own on board pantry" for energy and there is no need to add any calories.

I can't tell from your profile when you started (a date is more helpful), but after the heady first weeks of losing water weight, a loss of a pound a week is average. You have lost 15 pounds now, seems you could "stay the course"

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-10-16 at 06:25.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-16, 06:20

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%

Exactly... if you REALLY need to increase calories, the easiest is always fats, any type. For me it's always olive oil, more of it in anything I eat, I have salads, lots of those, with olive oil. Olive oil over tuna, heck I put it over my eggs .

Avocados are great also... and nuts. You can increase your calories easy like that. But only do that, or eat more, if you are hungry. If you are not, there is nothing wrong with just listening to your body.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 13:37

BF:
Progress:

Good idea I will try olive oil in my salad. I have really been satisfied for what I'm eating. I started July 14th. I m pretty diabetic and before I would be so tired with eating so much carbs. Now, I feel normal and I have energy. Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to experience a stall by eating too much of lower calories.

I haven't been too many salads I was at first until I discovered the hidden caebs like onions and tomatoes. I have to mindfull
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 13:52

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

When Atkins recommends salads during induction, I think that means only greens with a fatty dressing. Homemade olive oil with apple cider vinegar is perfect. I have one most days for lunch with protein (chicken or ham, usually).

Something to consider also is where you are on the Atkins ladder related to cheese. For some people, that will cause a stall, because it raises insulin, which stops fat loss for a time.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 16:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Consider augmenting whatever you eat with hemp hearts and MCT oil. Protein and fat, lots of calories.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 21:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccat69
When Atkins recommends salads during induction, I think that means only greens with a fatty dressing. Homemade olive oil with apple cider vinegar is perfect. I have one most days for lunch with protein (chicken or ham, usually).

Something to consider also is where you are on the Atkins ladder related to cheese. For some people, that will cause a stall, because it raises insulin, which stops fat loss for a time.

That's what I had for supper as circumstances didn't allow my usual big lunch. My sis & I also had a goat cheese tasting for dessert - 4 different kinds. It was an experiment for me to find out if I can tolerate goat cheese better than cow cheese. So far, so good!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 07:40

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your suggestions. What is MCT oil?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 08:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

As Dr. Feinman just posted, you don't need to try to increase your calories. Eat to your appetite. I think Dr. Atkins would agree too.

https://feinmantheother.com/2012/12...an-do-about-it/

It's actually down at the bottom of the posting:
Quote:
I recommended taking advantage of the lack of proscription on quantity in low-carb diets to actually eat less, namely, to have small portions (of low-carb food) and then, if you still want more, to have more. Following the points above, however, feeling hungry because you want to have a lean and hungry feel if not look, is different from feeling hungry because you are compelled to stick to somebody’s diet.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 07:07

BF:
Progress:

Thank you. I have been eating to keep up with the diet and get the calories in. But didn't feel hungry some people said I was starving myself sometimes I would barely make it under 900 - 1000 calories. I don't want to stall my weight loss. I love not feeling hungry and letting hunger control my everyday life and when I a hungry, I am not raging hungry. I have more energy. And able to focus on everyday like that doesn't involve food.

Thank you Nancy!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

if the number of calories is a worry--and, really, you are a bit low--switch things out. Instead of the cup of green beans, eat more of the fat and protein.

Two eggs instead of one, an extra slice of bacon. Bigger serving of chicken with some extra fat, like that. There's not an issue with getting LESS carbs. I usually hang out around 10 total a day. I'll go up to 20, but don't, on a day to day basis, expect to hit that.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Insulin lowering
Stats: 144/134/122 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

According to the Atkins book (new diet revolution) the two cups of salad are "salad vegetables" which includes items such as cucumbers and peppers. It does not prescribe leafy greens only.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 10:18

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnM0305
According to the Atkins book (new diet revolution) the two cups of salad are "salad vegetables" which includes items such as cucumbers and peppers. It does not prescribe leafy greens only.

Ah OK. I haven't read it in a while. Thanks for that!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The only thing that I would add is that it looks like a couple of your choices were packaged food--the breakfast sandwich and possibly the Peruvian chicken.

If I'm right, it could be that the artificial ingredients in those foods are causing you to hold water weight. If not, I hate to say this, but welcome to the world of the occasional plateau.

Especially for women, but for men, too, we don't lose weight in a smooth line on a graph. We lose it in fits and starts. A pound here, a couple pounds there, a gain, a loss of three pounds. It's just what our bodies do.

If we stay on plan, we WILL keep going down. The fact that you are diabetic means that you have additional challenges. Are you on any meds? Because they will keep your insulin levels up, which makes the losing a bigger job.

If you are tracking your BGs, and they are consistently pretty much in the normal range, you could consider asking your doctor to lower or stop your diabetic meds. (This is all assuming that you are T2D. If you are T1, ignore this.)