Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:02

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile New member..come and say hello!

Hi peeps.
I've just bought the Dr Atkins new revolutionary diet book and hoping to lose as much as possible for my holiday in 4 weeks. Could do with some tips and ideas from anyone out there in the UK. Does anyone know of his products sold in shops here? I live in Herts and work in London.
Cheers and good luck to you all.
Susie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the Forum Sushi!

Did you know that you don't need any products to follow a low-carb plan? Real food is the best way to start and the best way to keep going.

Let us know how you're doing.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 00:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Welcome

U've come to the right place Sushi.

Agree with Karen. No need for LC products but LC support u get here will certainly help with difficult moments, staying committed, being inspired by what u read - guaranteed to make u SLIM and BEAUTIFUL by the time u go on holiday.

Take Care. Stick with it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 01:58

Stats: 15.0/14.12/12.7
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hi Sushi, take care

Hi Sushi
How are you?, The only thing you have to be wary of is that there are quite a few low carb diets kicking about. Different low carb. diets allow different types of food to some extent. ie some allow fruit. So some of the tips and advice don't specifically relate to the Atkins. Make sure that if you're on the Atkins diet that you read your book and stick to the advice there. Saying that there are loads of people here offering good advice and support for all the different types of low carb diets. Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 02:47

BF:
Thumbs up Well said Gaz

How is it going Sushi?
Quote:
Gaz: Make sure that if you're on the Atkins diet that you read your book and stick to the advice there.
Very well said Gaz.

Information is not power. It is potential power. How I apply and use the information is power.

Keep in touch.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 05:03

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Hi Fiona
Well I'm on my 3rd day of Atkins and feel very good. Had a bit of the shakes and headache on 1st day but that's now gone.

I'm feeling guilty (but not sure if I actually need to) because I had 100gr of Macadamia nuts for a snack between breakfast and lunch. Is that counted as going off the rails?

So far my ketostix have not turned. They show beige...is this normal?

Am missing a good old cup of tea with milk though...and coffee :-(

I'll weigh myself soon and see if there are any results!
Susie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 13:38

BF:

Hi Sushi

Good to hear from u again.

It is normal to have some symptoms during Induction. This is due to your body adjusting (rebelling more like ) to the carb withdrawal. Once you get past this (as you have already discovered) you start feeling great.

If I recall correctly 100gr of macademia is about 6g carbs. - check on the packet. Provided you are within your 20g limit for the day you have nothing to feel guilty about.

{...my ketostix have not turned..} Don't worry about it. It is a visual aid. My ketostix never turned either - in fact I stopped checking altogether 'cos it was pulling me down - but I still lost over 8lbs during induction.

I drink black tea with lemon and sweetener. Have you tried Green Tea? Gradually I have turned to drinking more and more water but I empathise with you letting go of old habits. After Induction you can start adding some milk in.

Take care. Commitment is the Perfect Ingredient as Bonnie would say. Keep in touch.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 02:46

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile Thanks for your support Fiona

It's great to hear that I'm not the only one that the ketostix didnt change for. I've been drinking fruit tea a lot and am quite liking it. I must say that I've really not felt hungry which is good but boy I do feel guilty eating all that fat that I would never touch before.

Last night I had SF jelly with quite a bit of whipped cream and honestly you feel like you're going to put weight on. 3 days on it now and I still havent lost any weight but I suppose it's my metabolism trying to catch up and it will come off soon...I hope!

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the much needed reassurance.
Susie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 13:12

BF:
Default Mental Turnaround

Hi Sushi

This must be the only diet where not only do you not get to feel hungry but eat all the foods that for years you've been denying yourself on low-fat diets. It is quite a mental turn-around. I felt like that - still do to a lesser degree but the proof of the pudding is that I have lost steadily.

You might find it useful to start a Journal in the Journals N-Z of the Active Low-Carber Forum. Have you taken your measurements at the start of the diet? I would recommend weighing in no more than once a week.

Stay with it. Take care.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 09:36

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Fiona

I am trying not to weigh myself too much but it's too tempting. I need to see progress and I do believe I have lost a kilo! Do you think it is alright to drink 2 cans of Diet Coke per day? I've bought the caffeine free ones now as I noticed that caffeine is a no-no.

I am feeling so full most of the time which is good but still find I need to snack here and there. Old habits die hard...but at least I snack on Macadamias and a piece of salami or smoked ham or cheese. Can't bear to have more than my 2 eggs a day.

I had a look at that journal. If I happened to be eating the wrong things or overeating would someone let me know...i would prefer to do that...after all otherwise what's the point of having a public journal?

Thanks for all your help.
Susie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:23

BF:
Thumbs up Journal

Basically the journal is your own personal record of your journey. U can use whatever style feels right to you. Certainly I'll keep an eye. You'll find it is quite inspiring to read other people journals too. We r all curious to see what other LCers are doing. And very often someone will comment if they can help in any way.

Take care.