Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 19:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

I always thought that natural sugar, honey or maple syrup, had a lesser impact on our glycemic count...hmmm
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 04:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

"What does Dr. Westman think of Carbing Up", a short clip from the local LC meeting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature...e&v=ekIrk_nyhOE
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 05:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Dr. Westman said two very important phrases at the end of his comment/speculations:

"...I don't know..." and "...I'd like to learn about it..."

Wise perspectives.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 07:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I get certain items from our local health food store, they are much tastier and higher quality; equally important, smaller quantities seem to satisfy me, so it kind of evens out.

But this is where I also get my exposure to the vegan lifestyle, which is about half sugar. Some health strategy!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 07:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
I always thought that natural sugar, honey or maple syrup, had a lesser impact on our glycemic count...hmmm

You gotta be careful with glycemic index/impact, though.

Quote:
The GI of honey. Most commercially blended honeys have a moderate Glycemic Index or GI of between 45 and 64 which is lower than sugar – white or brown - at 65. The GI varies with the level of fructose – the more fructose, the lower the GI

If that's the quality you're looking at, fructose would be best. There might even be situations where it is better, a little bit of fructose daily vs. a little bit of glucose could reduce insulin requirements for meals for type I diabetics, maybe not as good as skipping the sugars entirely, but maybe it would reduce the risks of oversteering with insulin. Replacing a larger amount of glucose with fructose would have the risk of fatty liver and insulin resistance going for it.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 21:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest

All are basically pure simple carbs so they are equal gram for gram in your carb count. Where they differ is in their glycemic index and thus their ability to cause insulin spikes. Glucose syrup has a GI of about 100, table sugar (mostly sucrose) ranges from 55 to 65, honey and maple syrup range from about 45-65 (depending on variety and processing methods), agave comes in relatively low ranging from 30 to 45.

This has some effect on the glycemic load but don't be fooled, they are all pure simple carbohydrate with the potential to cause insulin spikes and will take you out of ketosis in a heartbeat. Also note that agave, maple syrup and honey also have fairly high amounts of fructose.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 09:57

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
A friend yesterday told me a story where she was working with Mohawk children, telling them that if they used maple syrup in place of sugar, they wouldn't get diabetes. Clean, natural, organic, high-quality maple syrup. I told her if they were going to get diabetes with the sugar, replacing it with maple syrup would just give them all-natural diabetes.

holy cow on this.
sugar is sugar is sugar and all carbs are sugar and you have got to be kidding on this. I hear this and cringe with insanity of the crazy out there
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 09:59

BF:

carb up, nope
carbs are evil point blank to blood sugar and blood sugar controls you 100% on so much that to give more control to the thing you are battling is just crazy. No way would I go UP the carb ladder vs. the stability of true health and stable BS. That is a walk back into total opposite of what I achieve with my (was VLC) and now zero carb lifestyle. Why would one go back if you learned the truth of a 'real lc way' of life that suits yourself best? Out of sheer excuse to 'get back addicting foods ya want/desire to eat' and nothing else. Face the truth on this plan. Nothing wrong with doing it, but don't pretend it has any 'real merit' in your physical body cause it doesn't

Last edited by Whirrlly : Tue, Nov-21-17 at 10:26.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 10:17

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

You "almost" got me going there Whirrlly ;-)
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 10:24

BF:

How so thud? on what LOL