Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 18:51

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket56
Hello. I have been a 1972/1992 hard core Dr Atkins advocate for decades and now have become interested in the CARB NITE SOLUTION plan. It is very much like the ultra low carb.. under 30 grams of carbs but has good arguements for the off night carb loading.
I for one began this yesterday and would love to hear from anyone else that has been on this or would like to join me.
It seems to have a lot of merit.

Do you have links or can you explain the good arguments for off night carb loading, please? Am interested in the diet, but am concerned about it's healthfulness for someone one like me who doesn't need to lose any more weight.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
Do you have links or can you explain the good arguments for off night carb loading, please? Am interested in the diet, but am concerned about it's healthfulness for someone one like me who doesn't need to lose any more weight.

Hi This has many benefits and addresses the depleted hormones that occur when on LC for a while. That is the usual cause for slowing and stalls of losses.. the carb load is for a specific time and amount of time. It will cause insuline spikes and that in turn releases fat burning hormones/leptin.etc;.. that lasts for 4 days. You return to normal eating on plan in the morning and each week this boost encourges the losses.
This is essentially what I did for decades to maintian a 190# loss. I ate on plan and then had a major meal off. It is not enough to break out of ketosis.

THis IS for fat loss so I think you would be better off doing the Atkins plan and increase your carbs and calories as needed to maintain. I run the A-TEAM which has folks remaining in range (normally) and folks losing. If you are interested, pop in and read and come on board IF you follow the ATKINS 1972 or 1992 versions. The games are listed under challenges etc and are the A-TEAM games.. been going on for years with most of these folks. Hope this helped
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 19:36

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Thanks, cricket. My gut feeling was that I should stick with what has been working for me.
I follow Dandr 92, and never got back into the grain rung - only occasionally eat legumes and higher carb veggies like squash (I guess those would be my carb up nights!)

I didn't realize the A-teamers included maintainers, I 'll check out the games.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

In what way are hormones depleted after long term LC? Does he mention any research on this?

I'm trying, with my limited knowledge of biochemistry, to figure out how this could work.

For me, I couldn't do it as designed, because eating grains leads to pain for me--my joints know when I've had them, and at this point, it's in undetected amounts, because I'm very careful.

It seems to me, because the body so readily switches to burning sugar for energy, that, if you give it a ton of sugar over 8 hours, that it'll use what it can, then shove, with the usual efficiency of insulin, the rest into the fat cells. Going immediately back to LCHF, there are then "fresh" fatty acids and triglycerides to pull from the fat cells once ketosis kicks back in.

For many of us, it would NOT be a sustainable WOE, as the one in 10 carb night would slowly but surely become an every night occurrence, just as it used to be.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 20:43

Plan: IF+Keto+Carb Nite
Stats: 239.2/231.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm going to catch up with everyone tomorrow. Off to bed shortly.

I was worried about the C&P too. I'm always nervous about sharing stuff.

I'm posting my daily meals and activity in my journal, so if anyone's interested in that you can check out my journal.

I am really looking forward to my Saturday Carb Nite. I usually start mine around 3:30, which takes me between 9:30 and 11:30. I like to go out for supper on Carb Nite. This week we are going to Original Joe's. I like to finish my night with donuts, or cheesecake, or ice cream, etc. I usually start my night with a bowl or 2 of cereal with 2% milk and some rice krispie treats.

Cricket, can you explain a bit more about the food charts in the book. I admit I only glanced briefly at them and thought to myself, "Oh, this is more complicated than I want to do".

I second the recommendation to buy the book. I purchased my digital copy from the official website. It's a PDF. I have it on my computer and also on my Kindle.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-16, 22:16
Registered Member

BF:

HI everyone OK.. to answer the same questions I myself had asked...all are well answered in the book but in a nutshell.. First.. you do not have to eat grains at all. I am gluten intolerant and never eat any. So that is the end to that question. Just becasue something is recommended does not mean that there are not other options.. don't let the grains deter you The insuline spike does not last long enought to change or conver the the sugars into the fat cells.. great explanation again is in the book. The skinny of it is, the hormones are the fat burning maniacs in this show and they last for about 4 days.. with the carbs gone more than that, so are they Yes there is scientific evidence of all of this.The carb load does not casue gains of fats at all. Just water flux for a couple of days. The fat is being dumped and ketosis is not a problem for just the brief load of one evening. It is sustainable.. sorry but on the A-TEAM we learn how to control ourselves and by the time we are maintaning we are fine and capable of it. Carb nite does not mean you HAVE to have trigger foods. Plenty out there that are safe for the majority. It is one carb nite in one week of carb nite..not one in ten. YOU MUST have one each week and not longer or it is not helping the process.. I lived this way for decades successfully before they had a name for it. I did not know the reasons why it worked well but now I do Every plan is not for everyone. I know THIS plan pushes veggies and as for me I am not into them at all. I will use the methods for GI motiltiy that I have used for ages. I will have some veggies sometimes but certainly NOT the way it is recommended.

LIANNE.. the charts ARE overwhelming at first glance! It is a simple method of keeping things balanced. If you have a food that has more fats than proteins, then it is counted as a FAT food.. so you then ALSO have a PROTEIN..same things.. a food with more protein than fat is considered a P. Some are balanced out and are considered "N" and need no balancing act with another food. This is a general concept and need not be exact in the trade offs at all.. just a "P" and an "F" or the lonely "N" can stand alone .. when yu look at the chart, I would just search the food and see what has more grams..on the chart it is just the end letter.~~ foods sound good.. as for me, I cannot eat that much I will also start about that time since I am a gonner by midnight anyway...maybe by 5pm at the latest... I will have high density carbs and lower amounts.. hotcakes.. just a few with the protein as eggs and the canadian bacon.. corn on the cob is going to happen!So is the apple pie have to get the apples nest week. My nite is the 18th. I would enjoy some cereal..great idea.. but not sure if I could choke any more food in me!I know fats are to be avoided on high carb nite but some are just going to be there. I guess I would skip the corn I love it dripping in the butter.. so it will be popped corn instead

I HAVE to write a disclaimer here.. I cannot type! My brain is faster than my fingers which seem to be dyslexic all by themselves. I rarely proof read but do groan when I do find the typos! I CAN spell..my fingers cannot My secretary retired when I did ) my keyboard for some rason does not shift prperly to upper case the "I" so it will appear commonly as lower case.. sorry
OH... it is important NOT TO DO hard workouts for a bit of time!!! explanation is.. yep, you guessed it.. in the book

Have to be up by 4:30am to go to aquasice and the gym.. just minimal stuff there.. trying to regain better use of my shoulder..recent surgeries... and my hip joints are stiff in the winter.

Time to share some things about me.. and I would love to know more about you guys.. I am a retired practioner of 40 years... accident forced that.. originally from NY.. horse farm there... moved to FL... now in Alabama and again have a farm. I have blueberries and my daughter has an equestrian center on this farm. Tons of pets. That is a good start
THERE is more to us than diets , food, fat and struggles. We are humans first and we ALL are going through the very same things. Same worries, concerns, gains and losses.. multiple diets.. so, we share lots of things
HAVE a great night.I anyone wants to e-mail, PM me for my address. I do that with many people on the site
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 08:50

Sorry to be so specific. But what hormones? Where do they do their work? Why are they suppressed with long term LCHF?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:

please just buy the book.Not meaning to be rude at all. It is not 1-2-3 but very clear. I just do not have time right now to go back and do this. We are having ut of state company coming tomorrow and have been dealing with the death and estate issues of my girls dad.. we leave AGAIN to go down south for more fun and games...and that is complicated by run a way blood pressure spikes and drop outs with me for the past few days.. no, not diet related!!!
LIANNE>>>> perhaps you can look up this stuff.. or GLENDA.. you have the book now too.. would either of you be willing to copy the info and post this info??? Normally I would be very happy to.

Just had some browned fried chop meat with worstershire sauce..last night had the steak and cauliflower..have a gain of 0,4 which is my normal trend so all good
BBL I HOPE!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 13:06

Plan: IF+Keto+Carb Nite
Stats: 239.2/231.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I did a quick search in my book for homones and I attach a couple of extracts. The extracts are taken from The Carb Nite Solution from John Kiefer.

I will be back later to share some info about myself. Back to work I must go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Extract 1.pdf (88.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Extract 2.pdf (78.1 KB, 36 views)
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 13:51
Registered Member

BF:

THANK YOU LIANNE You are GREAT! I live in a really rural area and we have no broadband capabilities so it is all DIALUP here!!! I do not even attempt to do it your way I DID however e-mail it to myself and have it safely in a folder for future use!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 13:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Sorry to be so specific. But what hormones? Where do they do their work? Why are they suppressed with long term LCHF?

Quick and easy simplified explanation re hormones depletion... if you know anyone with diabetes, you then can maybe know that spikes in carbs increase BS whic is linked to hormones,, so.. no carbs.. = depletion over time of them... If there is an overabundance ot them then you have the spike.. all in a nice circle like i said overly simplified.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 16:41
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I tracked down a partial (56-page) portion of the book. I tried to attach it, but the system tells me it is too large. Sorry.

My book doesn't arrive until tomorrow.

Last edited by bluesinger : Fri, Feb-12-16 at 16:44. Reason: problem with attachment being too large
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 19:02

I'm not trying to argue. But "hormones" means nothing at all. It's to simplistic for me not to be extraordinarily skeptical.

As I noted, MOST people who turn to LC are addicted in one way or another to some sort of carby food. And telling them to have at it, once a week, is a recipe for disaster for them.

The number of people in this forum who have had great success with eating low carb is easy to see: take a look at the number of people who are registered to the Maintenance thread.

And there are so many more, who learn their lesson, lose the weight, and ride off into the sunset.

This WOE may work for a handful of people in the long run. But not many have the discipline to keep carbs in their lives ANDhave 20/21 of their meals be very low carb.

I wish you the best at succeeding with this WOE. I have my doubts, as you surely have noticed! The author doesn't seem to have enough belief in the intelligence of his audience to give them more than a breezy description of how the WOE is supposed to function.

I find that insulting, personally, and it increases my doubts about its utility.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-12-16, 20:26
Registered Member

BF:

well, to each her own when things are too in depth audiences are lost. Publish to the masses and google your specifics or look up the souces which are in the book ALL there listed nicely.
I maintained 190 LOSS for decades doing just this before it had a name..that is what ATKINS advises in one of the chapters.. go off plan once a week.. try other things.. the carb ladder is to teach people to adjust to the real world. I was fortunate to have been at lectures by DR ATKINS as well as speaking with him. Lucky I was a New Yorker and it was quite easy to have access to his organization and office. He believed in eating well and LEARNING about ourselves. He gave us tools to learn from not chains to tie us down. He always said to find your weakness and triggers.. avoid them. They DO GO AWAY and lessen.To try to live with such strict limitations is just not realistic.I for one have never seen that thread you mentioned and do not bother with these. 40 years as a practitioner and all the academic studies under my belt has taught me to sepaate realistic and reasonable from foolishness. That has done wonders for me.I make certain I research and understand before I guess or bother with negative mind sets.As I said a while ago.. every plan is not for everyone but they ALL work for a period of time. This has the ability to continue quite well if it is properly worked
GOOD LUCK.. no hard feeling

GLENDA>>> happy reading!!! I am going on the third time. After life here clears a bit I will do some resarch on his his. I know that his statements are correct, and I know I can get off and back on with no issues. I have learned that over time. It is not hard to do at all. When you know you have a great day planned, the other 6 go fast! It is far different than saying oh poor me I cannot have this. Take your measurements and go by that. The fat depletion will change your shape but the water refilling the cells will for a bit raise the numbers..this is normal and occurs even if only on Induction.. lose a lot of fat and fluids replace that volume..and weih more
I have not been hungry at all.. had some chop meat today and that is it.. will not have a hot tea with HC . I have a ton to do this evening and night so the caffeine is a welcome deal for me.
With company due in the afternoon, this place needs some TLC.
Could not do much after my shoulder surgery and it is not back to where it could be yet..lucky hubby is blind in love and does not see the dust!... We have 6 dogs and my daughter's makes 7 that live inside and out..Great Dane, 50% Arctic White Wolf/25/25% white shepard;Collie, 2 toy poodles and one Yorkie/poodle/coxie..oh and the beagle thing..momma was a gorgeous beagle with bad taste LOL..doddy is a pit!.sweetest most timid pup in the wold..then there is the border collie/lab of My dtr's.SO, lots of hair and paw prints always!..also 3 Siamese that come in at night GOOD things the horses have thier own barns!!!
Now to take apart the kitchen!..made an error today.. thoush i had a great deal on protein powder.. ISOLATE and all.. it is NOT WHEY so back it has to go
Have a great night ladies and see you at some point tomorrow

Last edited by cricket56 : Fri, Feb-12-16 at 20:35.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 11:18
Registered Member

BF:

GOOD MORNING.. I am soo stoked by the realization of this plan working like it shoud!! This is why:
Before beginning I was on a carb high ofr over a week.. travels, funerals, stresses and eating on the raod at all hours and deleveries to hotels of foods.. I GAINED that ton of weight as describes.. yes, not all water but not all fats either since my clothes still fit...Now, I weigh in for hardcore restarts on Tuesday. I weighed 171.2 hugely more than previous before carbs..I DO retain fluids...and I took measuements... now it is four days later... consider the spiked high carbs were there and activated all the hormones.. yes. there are eight and anyone can google them..have taught my last biophysical class years ago....so, now the normones have kickes in and I have lost 7.2 pounds in the 4 days, and more importantly..why I say this is a fat shredding plan as promised is that 6.5 inches are gone! That is from upper arm 1';abd was 1"; waist another 1", hips yet another 1 inch ;thigh 1 " and below my knee where I save fat pocket was 0.5"..... WOW....
To me, with my own information and personal experience of just this week, I say I AM ON THIS PLAN!!!!
Let the negative and skeptics, those that do not see the wider picture, join the people that thought Atkins was nuts...
GLENDA & LIANNE, we have the ability to to at least try new concepts but those that are based in facts not gimmicks and fantasy. I KNOW we are going to succeed here
Closed Thread