Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 09:30
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Thanks, Judy....but, I gotta say that it is a scary thought for me to be a role model . If there is a way to screw up, I am gonna find it every dang time!!!

I will say, though, that my apparent improved health has provided me some great opportunities to empower both type 1's and type 2's. It opens discourse which I think is soooooo important for anyone with a chronic condition. I am appalled by how little many of these people know about their diseases. It aggravates the crud out of me when doctors hand them a prescription and a diet plan and do not educate the person about what is happening within their bodies. I will agree that unfortunately denial is often a phase of disease acceptance, but I wish there was MORE information about diabetes treatment other than the ADA recommendations. I have to say that when I first read Dr. Bernstein's books I actually teared up with relief. It gave me support for what my body was telling me. By the time I found Bernstein I had been on Atkins induction for about a year. I had found by trial and error that every time I switched to OWL my blood glucose levels spiked.

I give out Dr. Bernstein's name so often that I ought to just make up some business cards for him.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread off on a diabetes rant. The maintenance tools that are important to me are:
* daily weigh-in,
*recording carb intakes a couple of days a week to keep me sensitive to EXACTLY how many carbs I am consuming. When I do this I count every friggin' carb---even the carb in a cup of black coffee, or the one in a glass of SF Arizona tea.
*CONSTANT BG tracking with 4-6 finger sticks.
*My new thing is the use of a continuous glucose monitoring system where I insert a sensor in my body and attach a transmitter to send a wireless message to my insulin pump so that I can track what the glucose levels in my body fluid are.
*Lots of Princess pampering
* my wonderful man as my personal chef and supporter
*daily posting on low carb forums with lots of great like y'all!
Sara<><