Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default Help! Side Effects?

is it normal, to have puffy eyes, when you take metformin? or when you start low carbing? i just started metformin, and the pharmacist, told me that it could be a reaction, but not likely. so, he told me to take it a couple more days, and see if it goes away. then if not, go off of it a couple days, and see if that helps. just experiment. any ideas?
i am sleep deprived today. i woke up after 4 hours last night, and i was done sleeping for the night. i didnt know if this new meds, could mess up my sleep, or if i just have so much new energy, since i am not poisoning my body with all the sugar , that i used to abuse it with. i would appreciate any input! thanks!!

paige17257
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 19:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmmm: I've never heard of puffy eyes as a side effect of metformin or low-carbing, but I often hear of it being a side effect of too little sleep.

What exactly is going on with your eyes? Are they irritated or red? Is the skin around them painful?

Just to brainstorm possible causes: do you have allergies? Have you been around smoke from a barbecue or campfire? Any new makeup, shampoo, soap or other facial product?

Hope you solve the mystery.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%

thanks!! thats helpful. or at least good to know!! i didnt want to have to stop taking my metformin. a good side effect of this med, for me, is that i am not hungry all the time. i havent changed anything in my life as of late. i think i was just really sleep deprived, and it was miserable here yesterday,, 98 degrees, with a heat index of 110!!! plus, i do have allergies, that come and go, so maybe my room is too dusty, hehe.
i just remembered this a.m. that i have started using Splenda. i only used a couple of teaspoons, but i dont think this would be it, either. i will experiment with it.
anyways....i took a benedryl, and now today, they arent as bad, so time will tell. thanks for repling!
ttly,
paige17257
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 08:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not too far north of you, so I'm feeling the heat, too.
<- sweat

(My mom's family lives near Pgh - I'm going there at end of the month. )