Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:000
Progress: 13%
Default Feeling Motivated :)

I'm going to be embarking on a 'virtual' bike ride across the U.S
From Los Angeles, CA to Charleston, SC (this is where my oldest son lives and attends college)

It's approx. 2500 miles BUT, I have all the time in the world to accomplish this goal.
I will be using my little ol' recumbent exercise bike, nothing fancy, but it has an odometer and the basic display readouts found on most exercise bikes and that's really all I need...besides a good seat cushion so my butt doesn't go numb, hahaha

Exercise, in general, has always been my downfall..just the word in itself makes me *shudder*
With the help of my imagination, (and I'm going to need a lot of it, haha) I'm hoping to change that and make 'exercising' a fun part of my low-carb journey

I'll be departing Los Angeles, CA at some point this morning or early afternoon.

I listed my biking itinerary, as well as a map, of some of the cities that I will be 'biking' through in between Los Angeles, CA and Charleston, SC in my journal this morning (post #13) and will be updating my progress over the weeks and many MANY months to come.
I'll get to my final destination...one of these days. Until then, I'm just gonna enjoy the ride

wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 14:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

What a great idea! My first thought while reading about this planned "trip" of yours was that maybe other LCers on your route might be intrigued enough to "join" you when you get to their area, and "show you around" - pictures, maps, sights to see, good places to eat LC. It would make a neat travelogue, don't you think? When you get around to heading for Alaska I hope you make your way through my part of Oregon; I could "take" you up to Crater Lake, or over to the Oregon coast.
Have fun on your trip!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 16:35
Registered Member

Would love to see Crater Lake..alas I've only traveled through OR, stopping for gas. When we were stationed up in WA (Bremerton PSNS & Everett NS), we drove back and forth to California to visit with family.

Your travelogue idea sounds like a lot of fun and I would welcome anyone who wanted to tag along with me.
It's very easy to create a 'virtual' bike ride..or even any kind of 'virtual' exercise.
I've heard people doing 'virtual walks to the MOON..(it's only 238,855 miles ha!)

For these longer distances, some people may choose to tweak their actual mileage so that they are not actually walking 230,000 odd miles to the moon. I'm pretty sure that would take a few YEARS.

For example,
1 'actual' mile walked = 10 'virtual' miles
OR
3,000 steps = 5 'virtual' miles
OR 1 length of the pool = 20 'virtual' miles

Again, all you need is a good imagination...and if you do plan on 'walking' to the moon, you may need to buy a few dozen pairs of sneakers along the way, LOL

For my own bike ride, I won't be tweaking the mileage.
I will be riding 2500 'actual' miles...I'll just be doing it on a stationary bike, lol (I can still enjoy my TV shows that way lol) I'm sure I will be going at it well into next year.

I guess that's the beauty of this..there are NO set rules. You simply pick a city you want to start in (and it doesn't have to be in the U.S) and you pick a final destination. You can use google maps, map quest, or even google earth to get an estimate of the distance between the two points, or go one step further and zoom in to cities/towns that you will pass by on your trip so you have a more accurate idea of where you are.
You can even do a straight line from one city to another instead of following a specific series of 'mapped' out directions.
With no one else to compete against, so you can go as fast or as slow as you want.

Happy to say that I did indeed start my 'virtual' Bike ride this morning...
I left Los Angeles right after breakfast, lol...
I got 7 miles down the road before getting a flat tire, (27 minutes on my stationary bike)
Only 29 more miles and I will reach Ontario, CA. WooHoo!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 18:42
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey lo-carb!

What an amazing idea! I actually use a stationary bike to work at the computer and have since I started my journey to a healthier me back 5 July 2013.

So far I have logged in almost 7,500 miles + cause I peddle whilst I post on this site!

Have fun on your virtual biking trip and safe travels!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 19:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
So far I have logged in almost 7,500 miles + cause I peddle whilst I post on this site!

hi Jo
Holy smokes...7500 miles. That is an amazing accomplishment since 2013.
I am sure you must be very proud!!

I was surprised today by how quickly the time passed.
I was watching Law & Order SVU

I was only peddling ~ level 2, (approx. 15-16 mph for 27 mins & 7 miles) but I could definitely feel it in my legs.
I'm not sure if I could 'type' and peddle at the same time...I would probably fall right over and bust my butt, lol..

At different intervals I did try to contract the muscles in my tummy area, hold it for a few seconds, and then release. (kinda like a 'tummy' version of kegal exercises, lol) I figured that this might help me shrink my tummy down some...???

I'm sure it can't hurt to try it while I'm sitting there peddling away right??
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 11:02
Registered Member

WooHooo! I'm now 20 miles into my 'virtual' Biking Across America adventure.

This first stretch had me leaving Los Angeles, CA - heading toward Ontario, CA (36 miles) so I'm only 16 miles away from accomplishing this first leg of my journey...and only 2,480 miles until I reach my final destination. YAH!

Right now I'm 'virtually' cruising on down the I-10 E/San Bernardino Fwy just passing through Covina, CA.

I'm averaging 16 mph right now ~ level 2 on my recumbent bike. At this rate, it should only take me 155 hours of peddling my little butt off before reaching Charleston, SC.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 12:22

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Congratulations! I look forward to following along on this trip.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-15, 08:07
Registered Member

Thanks Verbena ....unfortunately, It looks like I will be stuck on the side of the I10 freeway for a while waiting on emergency roadside to come fix my DISABLED bikes

The damn peddles or something inside the bike ceased up yesterday. Hubby is going to take the thing apart and see if he can't fix it...LOL, supposedly this weekend, but he also said that he was going to fix the microwave, and that was some 2 years ago, LMAO!

not to worry, I'll be kickin' it with Paul Katami and swingin' kettle-bells around my livingroom until roadside service decides to fix it. Kicking myself for not signing up for AAA.
*mental note..do not stand too close to your 50" TV when doing a kettle-bell swing, ROFL!

It's always good to have a back up 'plan of attack' when it comes to exercise..thankfully I have one and will be implementing it today.

((HUGS))
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 11:03

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I am book marking this as I would like to follow along as well as join in, however, I need to get a bike first. I will check thrift stores to find one and then join in. I saw some bike riding videos on YouTube that could make the ride more interesting.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-15, 13:32

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Did you get your bike fixed?