Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 285/259/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Can't Do really low carb, thoughts?

I have been dieting and trying new ways and experimenting for a couple years now. I just tried Atkins, and was unable to maintain it for more than 4 weeks. My normal plan is about 1400-1600 calories, about 70-100 total grams of carbs, and really high protein (protien powerish) This keeps my cravings down, and I usually feel satisfied, but I get bored of it quickly, and tire of counting calories. (I can count them in my sleep).

Some things about me, I never feel full on carbs. I can eat an entire medium pizza, maybe a large if I wanted for one meal and then go eat chips an hour later. Wash it down with chocolate, and then in the next hour be upset because I ate all the pizza and there isn't any left.

I learned from trying Atkins that I don't feel full on fat either, nor do I like the food, I'm not a big dairy fan outside of cheese, but only so much of that. I don't particularly like eggs, or sausage or ham, beef gives me gas and I don't like turkey out side of deli meat. I don't really like fish either. I will eat it sometimes. That's about all you get on induction. I do protein powders and such. But on Atkins induction I was constantly hungry, probably due to eating more fat than protein. I ate probably 2-3 times as much as normal and actually gained 2lbs. Then I ate carbs like crazy afterwards, interestingly enough without the blood rush I normally feel from eating them. I just felt satisfied.

Anyone like me? I feel like when I go too low carb it backfires. Any mid carb range high protein diet suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 07:50

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You might consider going for intermittent fasting at this point. This allows me to keep my carbs up without getting hungry again right away and also lose weight.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 08:09

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartform
My normal plan is about 1400-1600 calories, about 70-100 total grams of carbs, and really high protein (protien powerish) This keeps my cravings down, and I usually feel satisfied, but I get bored of it quickly, and tire of counting calories. (I can count them in my sleep).

Anyone like me? I feel like when I go too low carb it backfires. Any mid carb range high protein diet suggestions?

It sounds to me like your normal plan was working for you, and you just got bored. Were you losing weight on this plan? If so, you may want to continue with it but try more variety of foods. Boredom is a #1 killer of "diets." You need to find a way to not make this a "diet" and make it more a way of life. Maybe try some new recipes that fall within your plan's range.

As far as being tired of counting calories goes, it's just something you'll have to do. Counting calories, or counting carbs, or counting fat grams, or sodium or any other item you need to keep an eye on is necessary. Think of it as being in charge of what you're putting in your body.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 08:34
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Quote:
I learned from trying Atkins that I don't feel full on fat either, nor do I like the food, I'm not a big dairy fan outside of cheese, but only so much of that. I don't particularly like eggs, or sausage or ham, beef gives me gas and I don't like turkey out side of deli meat. I don't really like fish either. I will eat it sometimes. That's about all you get on induction.

If you are eating a high protein diet normall, where are you getting your protein from if you don't like any of the protein sources listed? Just chicken? You don't *have* to eat all of those things on low carb or Atkins - you eat what you like for protein, which would be the same thing you eat on your high protein diet.

Quote:
But on Atkins induction I was constantly hungry, probably due to eating more fat than protein. I ate probably 2-3 times as much as normal and actually gained 2lbs. Then I ate carbs like crazy afterwards, interestingly enough without the blood rush I normally feel from eating them. I just felt satisfied.

It doesn't sound, at least from the small amount of information you posted, that you were really following Atkins very closely. On Atkins, you should be getting most of your carbs from vegetables which you don't mention having any of. It's normal to feel hungry on inudction - you should eat til satisfied from allowed foods. If you were following up your meals with carbs as you stated, then that's completely out of line with the plan as well. That, and induction is generally ment to be for 2 weeks, at which point you can move into OWL and begin slowly adding other carb sources back in.

Atkins is only heavily restricted during the first 2 weeks. After that, it's about learning what things you can add back in, and working carbs back up. I wouldn't completely knock the plan, or any low carb plan, until you've really given it a solid by the book go for more than just a few weeks. No matter which plan you go with, you should at least give it 90 days before throwing in the towel. But, that's just my opinion...and as Lisa says "you know what those are like".
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 09:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
If you are eating a high protein diet normall, where are you getting your protein from if you don't like any of the protein sources listed? Just chicken? You don't *have* to eat all of those things on low carb or Atkins - you eat what you like for protein, which would be the same thing you eat on your high protein diet.

It doesn't sound, at least from the small amount of information you posted, that you were really following Atkins very closely. On Atkins, you should be getting most of your carbs from vegetables which you don't mention having any of. It's normal to feel hungry on inudction - you should eat til satisfied from allowed foods. If you were following up your meals with carbs as you stated, then that's completely out of line with the plan as well. That, and induction is generally ment to be for 2 weeks, at which point you can move into OWL and begin slowly adding other carb sources back in.

Atkins is only heavily restricted during the first 2 weeks. After that, it's about learning what things you can add back in, and working carbs back up. I wouldn't completely knock the plan, or any low carb plan, until you've really given it a solid by the book go for more than just a few weeks. No matter which plan you go with, you should at least give it 90 days before throwing in the towel. But, that's just my opinion...and as Lisa says "you know what those are like".

My normal protein is chicken or whey basically, with the occasional different item.

I was following Atkins properly, I have the book and all. I didn't mention veggies because my consumption of them has pretty much remained constant no matter which diet I'm trying. For example an average meal for me is two boneless skinless chicken breasts and broccoli, or salad with olive oil. I will eat that regardless of the plan, but for atkins it was less broccoli and salad than I normally eat, which means that in order to feel "satisfied" I ate more meat and olive oil.

I gave up because even with my worse eating (junk) I maintain weight, but on Atkins I was gaining. before that I hadn't gained a pound in months, I haven't lost any either though.

As pinkclouds said the plan I had before was working. I just got tired of it and wanted to try something where I wouldn't have to count calories, and basically to me if you are counting/restricting carbs, calories, fat etc. for the purpose of weight reduction you are on a diet. The way of life is maintaining your weight by eating natural healthy foods in good proportions.

Thank you all for your input. I also do a moderate high intensity workout 5-7 times a week, and maybe that explains why I had such a hard time with vlc.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 09:49
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

It sounds like your other plan was lower carbs than the SAD, so you were probably at a range that worked well for you. There is certainly no one size fits all plan, or we'd all be happy and trim

I do think that keeping track of what you eat is a necessary evil though, regardless of what you are doing. It's when we stop doing this that we tend to get lazy and lax with what we're putting into our bodies. By the time you hit maintenance, you should have a really good handle on what you can and cannot have, but tracking, for me, keeps me good and honest with myself.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 19:03
Registered Member

BF:

I'd like to thank you guys for making me suck it up and count my calories.
So far this is just the third day of a 1500 calorie zig zag with about 130grams of protein, and 100 grams of carb. I've already started dropping. I will stick with it again and see what happens
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 19:23

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Seconding the intermittent fasting suggestion, especially if you're having problems with hunger and satiety.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 20:03
Registered Member

BF:

gwynne I did fast for 2 days before starting counting calories again.

Although I don't know if others would call it a fast. I drink 3 protein shakes for around 1200 calories. I continue to exercise during this time. Strict water fasting I fear would make me pass out.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 11:44

Intermittent Fasting is not an all day fast. It typically means you fast for part/most of the day and then eat your meals during a "Window" of time.

For example: I typically don't eat breakfast...and I don't eat my first meal (lunch until about 2pm) and dinner between 6 and 7. My eating "window" is from 2-8. That is just when it is natural for me to eat. That means I am fasting 18 hours a day. Or 18/6. Others have a much shorter window or a bigger window... it depends on what works best for you.

good luck!

Last edited by pinkclouds : Thu, Sep-23-10 at 11:44.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 13:57
Registered Member

BF:

hmm I normally eat from 7am-3pm that's just my normal routine but I'm usually in the bed by 10pm. Would that count?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 11:43

So you are fasting at dinner time then. Yes I think that counts.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 04:48

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 171/171/143 Male 178
BF:
Progress:

Im facing the same prob as you!! hi fives im so troubled over counting my carbs! but then again, i really hope it works :X