Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241.5/236.75/140
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Atkins Berry Cheesecake Bar thingies

Ok, I am curious if anyone agrees with me, YUCK! These things are as much like cheesecake as gravel is like whipped cream. I ate one (paid $8 for a small box at my grocery store) and it sure killed all my craving, my appetite, and my zest for life! I mean sheesh! <shudder> Does anyone have any recommendations for any really low carb snacks for someone still in induction?

I seem to be doing induction well, I've lost 5 lbs in 5 days. I reckon it is supposed to slow down, but my weight loss has actually increased the past couple days. I am following my rules to the letter, but I thought the Atkins bars might make a nice "escape" and they only have 1 countable gram of carbs. Someone should have warned me. I think Dr. Atkins is a great man, but eeww , has he tasted them?!?

Just my not so humble opinion,
Rochenne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 15:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The main point of induction is to detox your system to get away from carb cravings.

Giving in and substituting low carb items for high carb ones is sorta defeating the purpose of induction isn't it?

Any "low carb" substitute is going to have hidden carbohydrates in them due the type of sweeteners used. If something isn't on your induction list then don't eat it! Low carb cheesecake isn't listed

Induction snacks:
celery
cheese
pepperoni
(think healthy)
(think non sweet)

#3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have tried the Atkins bars you're talking about, and I agree with you; they are terrible. Something else I've noticed (which may pertain also to the Atkin bars if someone is eating them), is that I wasn't losing for a very long time. I noticed someone else here said that they stopped losing after eating the Atkins bars and Delite low car chocolate bars. I started thinking and figured out that must have been what my stall was from. I had started eating the Carbolite and Delite candy. Perhaps some people can handle the maltitol, or they have eaten low enough carbs to add more in the form of candy, but not me. I'll have those candy bars after I've lost my weight because I was at least maintaining while eating them. They are very good too by the way, but cause a laxative effect on some people, so beware (or should I say "be" by a bathroom).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 15:00

Stats: 270/245/180
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Atkins Bars

The only one I've found that was any good was the chocolate mocha crunch bar, it was very good, but the others ARE terrible.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 15:06

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default hidden carbs

From what I was told by other Atkin dieters, the Atkin's bars believe it or not are loaded with hidden carbs. That may be one of the reasons why you are not losing.
Stick to nature. Anything that is processed when you are in the Induction phase is not good for you. (other than cheese)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:23
Registered Member

Stats: 153/143/125
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default YUCK!

I, too, bought into the LC bars made by Atkins only to find out that they are horrible and have the hidden carbs. They never caused a stall for me, but definitely wasn't the taste I was looking for. I have pretty much cut them out, and will only eat the remainder if absolutely necessary. I usually have one in my school bag if I start to feel weak, but otherwise, can't stand them. If Dr. A has eaten them, he can have mine back at double what he charged me for them. Pretty expensive for such a crappy tasting "snack"!
I prefer the other snacks I've come across in these sites, i.e., cream cheese spread on pepperoni, bacon surrounded little smokies, fresh veggies, pork rinds, etc. For me, it took awhile to get used to this WOE! I was so used to making a quick sandwich, grabbing a bag of "low-fat" chips or crackers. It was hard for me to get out of that convenience!

Chele