Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 19:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/245/220 Male 74 inches
BF:22%/22%/15%
Progress: 50%
Smile Starting Monday

New to the Atkins program. I played college football and this type of eating to lose weight is confusing and goes against what I have been doing for many years. After looking at some of the success stories, I am determined to add mine to the collection in the future. Anyone from the Memphis, TN area want to get together and eat some BBQ? :-) Just wondering, can you eat SPAM?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 19:31

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there Memphis....

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to do Atkins! Yes, it feels like a very odd way to be eating in the beginning, but I'm sure that you'll soon be enjoying yourself.

As for the Spam...I wouldn't recommend eating it or any other processed meats...at least for the duration of induction. Stick with the real thing to get your best results.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 02:09

Thanks, just kidding on the SPAM thing. just walking around Costco and saw like a 10 lb package.. :-) I have read about the induction, I go to work at 3:00am, I brought some broccoli, zucchini, tomato and smoked salmon for snacks until I get home for lunch and have a nice steak. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Made my first pan of bacon and eggs in I think the last 15 years!!!! If I am reading the symbols right, looks like you have made some great progress :-) Keep it up.......
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: not sure at this time
Stats: 240.5/236/165
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Thank goodness no Spam...lol

I'm quite relieved Spam isn't highly recommended since I think it's so yucky, lol. Good luck to you. I've done this before and besides the weight loss, I loved how much energy I had. I've read the opposite of some folks, but for me, my energy leverl tripled.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 11:04

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 279/240/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default X lineman

"I'm not fat I'm big boned"....

I am ready to run this weight off - I'm 3 days in Lo Carb currently and feeling odd - the boards have encouraged me alot. I figure you and I are in similar boats...being the "Big Man". I am dropping the lbs for helath, family, and to ride my sweet mountain bike bettter then ever!. What's your encouragement?? -Steve
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 11:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default hmmmmmmm...

Encouragment???? Guess my best words of encouragment would be "JUST DO IT". We all know it is best for us. We all know that the extra weight robs us of the life we dream of. I've never been mountain bike riding, but sounds like fun. Around here it would have to be a "sand bike", lol. Keep me posted on your results. If you need a buddy for constant encouragement, just e-mail me at sweet_november9~hotmail.com I've done pretty good so far today. Does anyone know of a good protein drink I can use on those occassions when I don't have time to eat?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 17:00

Thumbs up

THanks for the encouragement. I was a Defensive Tackle and played at 300lbs. I have always wanted to have the six packs that those tiny QB's and DB's had. I am starving for some energy though. When does the energy kick in?
I hope I replied to all of you. I am having a hard time figuring this reply thing out and finding my original posting????? Talk to you soon, keep moving forward.
I have a picture of my fat !~$ on the bathroom mirror so I look at it before my day starts and when it ends. Talk about MOTIVATION!!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 06:42

BF:
Default Were on a team now!

I have gotten some great support from this site - We'll have to keep in touch on progress, strengths and weakness. Are you currently working out? I am considering getting back into the weights, however it does not seem so important for me to bench 300lbs. Its funny - today I struggle to do a few good pushups! I think all the power lifting tore my body up pretty good! -Steve
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 06:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default 8 minute workout...

I am a single mom working 2 jobs so working out is difficult for me. I did come across an article yesterday called "The 8 minute workout" and I'm going to give it a try. I think every little thing we do is a motivation for us. I did good yesterday, trying to keep myself from stepping on the scales, would like to just weigh myself weekly. Good luck guys.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:19

BF:
Cool I'm sure!

I am a parent as well and could not imagine doing it alone! I always laugh at myself when I look back to life pre kids and think - "what the hell did I do with my time?" TOday when I have free time I ride my bike. Planning on riding today if the weather holds off. Any tips on renting a beach house next summer? We were thinking about pairing up with another family and getting a place in Duck - you thoughts? -Steve
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:23
Registered Member

BF:
Default Duck is good...

I live on Roanoke Island, the Northern end of the OBX. Duck is beautiful, so is Corolla which is a little further north. I used to work for a company called Sun Realty. Let me know if I can help you out in anyway. You might want to call the Chamber of Commerce and Tourist Bureau, they send out a real nice package.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:00

Steve, where did you play ball? You have "X LINEMAN" on the reply, just curious. I don't think I could even bench press 225 now. I left college with a max of 410. Now I try to shoot for high reps and a moderate amount of weight. Looking for more definition. My wife and I are having our first child this October and will understand more about the free time later in the fall. :-) When do you get your energy back, struggling for energy to go to the gym during the induction phase of the diet. Thanks

stay focused on your goal and it will come, confuscious say !!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:09

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi there Memphis, that BBQ sounds good, are you cooking or are you going to make your wife do it? . I am from Memphis as well, did you play for U of M? Welcome to the forum and good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:56

BF:
Wink Graceland

Visited some family in Memphis once - went to Graceland as all tourist do. I played High School football and went to a college that did not have a team so I focused on lifting and mountain bike riding. I fell somewhat better today - less foggy. You are in for a big ride with the little one due - My kids are 2 and 3.... it has been crazy! Lots of fun, lots of love, and little sleep! The birth of my first child was the most intense day of my life (I'm sure the Mom's out there are laughing at me now..."He does not know what INTENSE is!" I keep all posted on progress. I'm at day 4 and doing well - Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg locohan2small.jpg (9.5 KB, 76 views)
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:40
Registered Member

Stats: 240/234/130 Female 5'-3"
BF:63%/63%/22%
Progress: 5%
Unhappy Hi Memphis

I'm just starting this Atkins diet today. This is the first forum I'm been to. So pardon me if I make mistakes (I most likely will) Anyway I see your from Memphis that was my home town. I live here in Florida now. Hope you having luck. ummmm BBQ sounds good. So far today I've done well I think. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast and cottage cheese for lunch and a Unsweet Biggie Tea with Equal. I can't believe how many carbs in everything. I've got to learn what to eat. Good luck! Kathy