Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-15, 19:24
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Healing Brain Cancer with a Zero Carb Ketogenic Diet by Andrew Scarborough

I've been following this guy on Twitter. The doctors told him his brain cancer was incurable and to eat carbs because his brain needed glucose. He didn't listen and now, no sign of cancer! It's hard to fathom anyone in this field recommending against a ketogenic diet, especially when the prognosis is death. It really pisses me off. Just how many people do they kill with that advice? Hopefully, they take notice.

http://zerocarbzen.com/2015/05/31/h...ew-scarborough/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 02:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Good for him. Every time somebody says "you gotta eat carbs, your brain needs glucose", I hear instead "your brain needs hyperglycemia".
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 05:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thank you posting this inspiring story. His experience with salicylates on a Ketogenic diet is fascinating, and the link within the article about them written earlier this year also interesting. Wonder with a typical mixed diet of modern produce the reaction is muted, but if you try the Keto macronutrient proportions, the salicylate reaction is amplified?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 06:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for this. As we get more information about this approach, we seem to be refining our knowledge. Damn shame more in the medical community can't get the funding and approvals to do more trials. Unfortunately, there are too few who've been brave and bold enough to take this approach, but much of the time they're rebuffed either by getting trial approval or funding. Dr. Eugene Fine is one of those who have supported researching this approach along with Seyfried and Feinman:

http://www.nmsociety.org/cancer-research.html
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 15:32
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Thank you posting this inspiring story. His experience with salicylates on a Ketogenic diet is fascinating, and the link within the article about them written earlier this year also interesting. Wonder with a typical mixed diet of modern produce the reaction is muted, but if you try the Keto macronutrient proportions, the salicylate reaction is amplified?

You might be on to something. That list of symptoms looks like salicylate intolerance could be mistaken for mucin deficiency. Add some safe starch and the "mucus deficiency" goes away... or is the salicylate reaction being muted? Very interesting.

Last edited by RawNut : Wed, Jun-03-15 at 17:26.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 17:15

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thnaks so much for posting this!!! Wonderful story- great info!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 19:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What an incredible story! And it validates all the things we've been saying!

I'm blown away.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 19:56
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Zero Carbing

Inside the story associated with that link, there is a link to another blog which is fascinating:
My Zero Carb Life

This woman is a good writer, not trying to convert anybody, but she presents an excellent case for Zero Carb as WOE. I recommend reading her blog. More anecdotal research to help us on our journey.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 10:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Threads and related posts like this are why I'm a loyal follower of this forum. The original post and the follow ups on salicylates caused me to branch out for more research discovering for the first time Dr. Georgia Ede, what a wonderful resource! Then the blog link from bluesinger to My Zero Carb Life, which I am now exploring is another inspirational resource. I can learn more in a shorter time frame at this forum than any other resource. Thanks, again, to all who contribute here, as we never stop learning and continue to feed each other with knowledge!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 11:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Threads and related posts like this are why I'm a loyal follower of this forum. The original post and the follow ups on salicylates caused me to branch out for more research discovering for the first time Dr. Georgia Ede, what a wonderful resource! Then the blog link from bluesinger to My Zero Carb Life, which I am now exploring is another inspirational resource. I can learn more in a shorter time frame at this forum than any other resource. Thanks, again, to all who contribute here, as we never stop learning and continue to feed each other with knowledge!

Seconded! 90% of what I've learned about food and health started here.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 04:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Third that I don't hang around the ZeroCarb groups since this past year I added back many more vegetables (aka salicylates ) so this cancer article is an interesting topic for me I would not have found otherwise. Went right into my cancer folder.

Dr Ede was such a clear writer, it was a sad day she took a new job at Smith and has basically stopped blogging. But her summary of Seyfried's cancer book is a classic. A new blogger on Cancer is Amy Berger, though with much longer posts. Her on-going cancer series started back in November. http://www.tuitnutrition.com
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 05:31
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A new blogger on Cancer is Amy Berger, though with much longer posts. Her on-going cancer series started back in November. http://www.tuitnutrition.com

And thanks to you, Janet, I now have this "voice" in my bookmarks.

I've mentioned on the forum that my paternal side of the family is riddled with diabetics. What I didn't mention is that my mother was a cancer survivor.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 07:14

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Another brain cancer ketogenic diet story -

Quote:
I started educating myself regarding keto adaptation by trying to drive ketosis in my mother suffering from a terminal glioblastoma brain tumor. They give her 6 months to live which prompted me to take an aggressive approach to slow cancer growth. I dramatically lowered her carbohydrate intake and raised her dietary fats exponentially. Immediately my mother’s cancer growth stopped. She is now in her 7th year of being cancer free

http://www.stephanieperson.com/stephanies-bio/
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 07:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
The doctors told him his brain cancer was incurable and to eat carbs because his brain needed glucose.
What they're really saying is your brain cancer needs cancer food - glucose - to fulfill my "incurable" diagnosis.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 08:15

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

As usual you have all gotten me skipping along from website to website instead of doing what I need to be doing. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts on My Zero Carb Life - thanks Glenda for the link! I am on vacation for the next week and may run an experiment with zero carb.