Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 150/140.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:doo/bee/doo
Progress: 32%
Default What does everyone think/know of Somersizing?

Hi all,

A woman from a class I take came back in September looking fabulous. She wasn't really overweight before, but now she looks so toned and has obviously lost a lot of weight. When asked what she did, she said Somersizing. Her teenaged daughter, who had been a little chubby, did it as well and looks considerably trimmer now as well. She said she started in July, which is when I started Atkins, yet I don't seem to get the same, "Wow, you look great!" effect that she does.

I've since read up a little on Somersizing and from what I understand, it's a glycemic control diet that makes use of food combining e.g. you can have carbs, but not with fat; you can have fruit, but only on an empty stomach.

I'm tempted to switch to Somersizing, but am a little concerned with the reintroduction of carbs. If I'm allowed a little bit of carbs, will I be able to limit myself? Will there be any bad effects of switching from a low-carb diet to a some-carb diet? Somersizing also makes use of low-fat products. I've been learning that these are no good, but now they're good again?

It's not that Atkins has not been working for me -- although I haven't lost as much weight as some people here, I have dropped down one dress size and definitely feel smaller. There does seem to be more variety allowed on the Somersizing plan, for example, rye toast! Potatoes are still a no-no, though. <sigh> The Atkins and generally low-carb plans, however, do seem more simple to follow.

Anyone here switch with success? Anyone been combining the two plans?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 15:36

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I've done Somersizing with success. I don't do a lot of carb meals, because I don't like fat-free products. Just not worth it to me. So, I guess you could say that I did Atkins using a lot of Suzanne's recipes. Expands the possibilities for low-carb meals, if nothing else.

There are a lot of plans out there, and some are successful for one person or another.

If you can, watch the Home Shopping Network when Suzanne is on there. When she does the cooking portion, YUMMY. Always exciting to see the meals she comes up with. Go to her website, go to the discussion page and go through archives. Ask questions.

Lots of info out there. Specifically about 'the switch', adding back in carbs, etc. There are tons of other people who have been in your shoes. You'll find a lot of them at Suzanne Somers website:

http://www.suzannesomers.com/Home/

Good luck in whatever you do!

Melissa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 20:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't like her idea of having fruit with nothing else. The reason Atkins and other diets suggest you eat protien with carbs is to minimize the impact it has on blood sugar and insulin.

For me I trust diets developed by doctors more then aging movie stars. She also has the thigh master and a variety of other products she attaches her name to endorsement wise.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 01:06

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Somersizing may not have been created by a doctor, but it's based on medical fact, and endorsed by Dr. Schwarzbein, and Suzanne's latest book, "Fast & Easy" (I don't know about the previous ones as I don't have them in front of me) has a foreword by an M.D.

I am not sure how eveyone reacts to sugar, but for me - if I choose low-glycemic fruits, like berries, and eat them alone I usually don't have problems with my blood sugar. If you don't like that portion of the plan, then don't have that part. I don't eat the carb meals, unless I can find something that's naturally fat free and doesn't taste like the back end of a cow. I am currently doing Induction, but I use a lot of Suzanne's meals. Ingenious ways to have your favorites. Lasagna, mac & cheese. All with egg noodles. A bake and fry mix that's made with onions and parmesan cheese instead of bread crumbs.

I've done pretty much every plan out there at one point or another over the last 5 years. I tend to take the best of each plan and incorporate it into my WOL. I love the way Induction makes me feel, and I love the variety that comes from the many cookbooks I've gotten about low-carb. My favorite recipes come from Suzanne, and Dana Carpenters' books.

I think that as long as the food you have in your house and order out, etc is good - then when, how often, how much, and other food combining stuff comes in second.

To me, it's the food that's key. I shop at Trader Joe's, I watch out for things like Trans Fatty Acids, and Partially Hydroginated Crap. I eat all the fat and fast food I want, drink all the soda, coffee, etc. I have desserts - but I've learned to make choices that are better for me. I'm human, so don't think I am a robot who never cheats. My stats will attest to the fact that I am way fallable. BUT, I'm in the journey. Weight loss/health gain is never about the destination - no matter how we focus on that. It's the journey that matters. The mistakes we learn from, the struggle, the battles. We need that or it would be too easy to go back to the fat, unhealthy people we were.

Bottom line is that most low-carbers tweak. No one says that you have to have the fruit or the carb meals or even the pro/fats. Those are just options you choose from. Just as any plan has those options or room to tweak.

Melissa
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 03:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/212/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I actually bought the whole Somersizing diet plan, but when it came down to actually following the diet, I found it to be a little too complicated. For me at least, I found it to require too much thought on a day-to-day basis. You have to really think about what kind of foods you are combining and how long it's been since you had a certain kind of food last. With my busy lifestyle, I just found the diet to be too involved to follow realistically. Of course, it may work for others but it just wasn't right for me. Atkins is easier for me because the rules are few and simple. I see Somersizing as more of a diet and Atkins as more of a lifestyle.

Last edited by cmwig : Thu, Sep-18-03 at 03:55.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 06:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi ge0rg1e,

I'm not too familiar with the Somersizing plan, so I won't comment on it, but a friend's result isn't a very good reason to switch plans. Your friend doesn't share your metabolism, your medictations, your dieting history, or your genes. If your current plan is working, I'd stick to it. There are no short cuts. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

About the low-fat products - that's the big trade-off when you increase carbs: you have to start watching fat and calories.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Sep-18-03 at 06:32.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 150/140.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:doo/bee/doo
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
For me I trust diets developed by doctors more then aging movie stars.

OUCH! Well, I asked for people's thoughts!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far. It's true that this WOE/WOL has been working for me. The scale just moved another pound down this morning (I know -- that doesn't mean much) and my clothes are getting loose again (after dropping one size already).

Just because I have some willpower, doesn't mean I'm the most patient person!