Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Haven't tried the cauliflower potato salad, but have used jicama with success - I chopped it like I would potatoes and cooked it for 2 hrs - still kinda firm, so maybe next time would cook longer, but didn't want it mushy. We liked it very much after having no potatoes for almost a month!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 22:18

Plan: Adkins modified
Stats: 285/272/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default rudabagas

I know that I have just joined this and that you might be a bit leery of me. But, I lived in NC with my aunt that was raised in the south, and concerning the comment about the bitter taste of the mix of rudabagas and turnips caught my attention. My aunt cooked up a mess of rudabagas one night and as we all sat down to enjoy the feast, she bit into them and spit them out because they were bitter.
Me being the hardheaded Marine, tried several different ways of eating them because I fell in love with the taste of them and found that adding a little bit of butter not margerine sweetened them up and brought the flavor back to the meal.
This is just a suggestion. But, it turned a disaster into an enjoyable meal.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 340/312/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm a big fan of the rutabaga (I'm even working on a rutabaga website!), and find they are useful anywhere you'd use a potato -- fries, roasted with a chicken, mashed, soups, stews, etc. HOWEVER: I'd avoid them after about March or April, until late fall. They are harvested in the fall, and get bitter as they sit in storage, even if they are waxed on the outside. Fresh is best. The person who had her first rutabaga in May would probably never want to try another. Have one in November and you'll wonder how you missed them all this time!

We've all grown used to the idea that we can get any vegetable at any time of the year, but the concept of some vegetables being seasonal is a good one for those that aren't grown in tropical or warmer climates. Rutabagas truly are best in fall and winter, and after that they get dicey.

By the way, some are orange inside and some very pale yellow, like a yukon gold potato. The taste is the same, though perhaps a bit more robust in the orange ones, but the look might matter to you.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 07:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeek
Finally tried the celery root the other day and found it too sweet for my tastes. The Cauliflower was more savory and so more like mased potatoes to my mind. I am thinking of chopping it up and cooking it to softness to use in mock potato salad though. Anyone tried this, and if so with which veggies and how was it?

Howdy,

I tried the mock tater salad with Rytabagas and cauliflower so far...you really have to like rutabagas to make that sucker work...very strong taste, especially with any leftovers the second day...ug...

Then did it with cauliflower. Liked that much better, but tweaked the recipie. We eat a lot of cauliflower here so this part is easy, I use moslty the stems for potato salad, cubed like taters. Using the florets changes the in the mouth texture/feel of the salad.

Also, when cooking the cauliflower, I use a lot of black pepper and garlic as well as lemon juice (about 1/4 lemon) squeezed right into the pot. Then drain very well and let cool.

As for veggies, some finely chopped vidalia onion, some shredded carrots chopped up too, a we bit of pickle relish and some real bacon bits. Of course there are the chopped eggs and the pepper and paprika to taste...