Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 21:31

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thank you for this! I must say these are super good and very filling. Even my boyfriend who is really picky and HATES nuts with a passion absolutely loved them. WTG!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

tried these. they are the best lc think i've ever baked.

i made the original ones with a little hidden valley ranch seasoning. WOW....too good.
i made sweet ones with splenda, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and ginger. not really graham crackers but definately good, like a spice cookie.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 23:43
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

I just had to bump this... I've seen the recipe around, and just tried them today... they are SOOOO good!

I totally recommend following Linda Sue's observation about using parchment paper: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/almond_thins.html

I had never used parchment paper before for anything, but it was a really helpful tip. Also, when you roll them out, you have to make them super thin or else they can turn out a little chewy.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Oct-30-06 at 09:20. Reason: updating link
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 14:19
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

I tried these and loved them!! I actually ate the whole batch I made the sweet version and tried them w/ pb & sf jam I made them alittle thicker than thins and they were perfect cookies. I'm dying to make them again but I don't know if I can control myself I definitely want to try the savory ones.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 15:11
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

Ok, I am bookmarking this page. I have some almond flour and need something. Think I will try the southwestern ones, or all of them!
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 16:06
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I make these today. They are fabulous! They're so crunchy and taste a lot like the commercial Wheat Thins that I used to love.

I also used parchment paper (first time I'd ever tried it) and it worked out great.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I want to try these for sure! You say 3 ozs ground almond is 1 cup and lindasue's recipe says 3 ozs is 3/4 cup.. I don't want to mess this up so how much have you all been using?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 19:34
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I just made a very non-measured version of this earlier. I couldn't remember the details lol. I put in 1.5 cups almond flour, 1 egg white, 1.5 Tbsp water, and a little bit (sprinkling, not measured) of powdered parmesan, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and a tiny bit of oregano. I added some Rye flavoring (it's a powder I got at a baking supply), and some caraway seeds, then decided to add a few sesame seeds and poppy seeds too (not many).

Edited to add: forgot to mention! I also added about 1 tsp from a package of powdered mix for ranch dressing, and some dried onion flakes.

I don't own a rolling pin nor did I have space for that. I just used a fork till it was all dense and moist enough to be stuck together when pressed, dumped it on large-size jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with edges) on parchment paper, put another piece on top, and squished with my palms as much as I could to cover the surface (10"x14" I think). I knew it would be too thick but I didn't have much option. By the way the stuff will stick to anything, so the parchment was really necessary. If I even touched it with my finger it would come up off the pan with my hand.

I cooked it for about 25 minutes on 300 degrees. I checked it every 10 minutes or so and waited until most all the surface had changed from light gold to brown.

The bad: it was probably twice as thick as it should be especially on the edges, that was my fault, and, I've no idea of the carb count but it's higher since I added parm and other seeds. I was only experimenting casually right now but I'll do another eventually with measures and counts.

The good: I can't believe how great this tastes!!

I fine-shredded some colby jack, added minced garlic (fresh, not jar'd, mega difference in taste) and just enough mayo to make it sculptable, and then broke off some pieces of the sheet-sized nut-seed cracker and dipped them in that. We call that 'Toastez spread'. Wow, really yummy! I have eggs cooling for some egg salad I thought we might just eat by dishing it out on the cracker-chunks.

At some point when I have a whole day, I'm going to have to experiment with several variants on this at once. This one worked awesomely. Seriously, I am not a big cracker person though I guess I like quality veggie-herb crackers and rye bread and this was sort of in between. Heavier and denser than a cracker from a box, but tastes frankly even better. This is as close as I can get to an everything-bagel I guess, one of every kind of seed!

I'd like to try the cinnamon variant, but I want to get a rolling pin first. :-)

Since this is an almond base, I'd like to see if it's possible to get some sweet variant like chocolate. I'm just thinking that if it could be done, then broken up in the bottom of a bowl with some sliced strawberries and cream it might be interesting, or used as a "crumble" on other things.

I think this is an excellent 'base' recipe -- much like the mock danish, the flax bread, the deep dish quiche pizza, the revroll/oopsie, this is more a "concept" recipe that can be experimented with infinitely. I'd really like to hear how other people's stuff came out (and does in the future) and what ideas people have.

For example, I was thinking that they make tomato bouillion powder (mexican section of my store), and I bet if I added a little of that, and some basil and oregano, it would be interesting.

I was also thinking of other sweet variants, since almond's great with everything -- like, what about a little banana flavor, or lemon?

Terrific idea, thanks for posting this!!

PJ

Last edited by rightnow : Thu, May-08-08 at 19:51.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 17:10
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi24
I want to try these for sure! You say 3 ozs ground almond is 1 cup and lindasue's recipe says 3 ozs is 3/4 cup.. I don't want to mess this up so how much have you all been using?

I use 1 cup of ground almond and the egg white from a large size egg. However, I think 3/4 cup should work OK, too. And, it doesn't matter if you get some of the egg yolk in this.

Also, I like to brush these with melted butter, to make a buttery cracker. I put the butter on when they're about half way done baking.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 17:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thank you!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I made this too!
but I think I didnt thin them enough ( i just use a plastic wrap and press them with my hand..but it was still kinda thick)
instead of thins...i made something like a tortilla bread
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 08:36

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%
Default convert to almond biscotti pls ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie
Hi again - I was thinking last night you *might* be able to use this as a crust for a quiche, or if you put sweetner in them as a crust for a pie - or even to make sweet cookies. I think I may try this when I get back from vacation.

pecanpie

Hi can you pls tell me how this can be made into sweet cookies, I'm picturing them to turn out like the almond biscottis.... just dont know how to go about achieving this....would you know

Many thanks
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-09, 11:48

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

ok i made these today and used some parm cheese and ranch popcorn seasoning in my dough. OMG delish! i didn't get them quite thin enough for crispy crackers tho. next time.