Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%
Talking Back to cardio so excited

I am so excited I just had to post.
After not being able to do cardio for almost a year, my doctor finally said I can and must get back on the treadmill . I am so excited. I am the type who had to work out or my body just turns to mush. I have been able to lose the weight I gained thanks to Atkins, but I am hoping to speed up weight loss with the cardio and tone my legs and butt. Has anyone here started cardio after being on Atkins for awhile? Does it help speed up weight loss? I only have 7 more pounds to lose and I am afraid I may stall with the last 5 like I heard so many other people do with the last 5 to 10 pounds. I am hoping the cardio will keep that from happening. I have to start off slow with 15 minutes of brisk walking and then build myself up to the 45 minutes to an hour of running.
I have also heard that people lcing do not have to and should not do real intense workout since we are already burning fat and it won't do us any more good that moderate workouts. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:49

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Exercise DEFINITELY helps with weight loss, from the view if you have a lot to lose, losing weight could make you "squishy", but replace that with muscle definition from working out, and you stay nice and neat

No matter how much you have to lose, working out is a great addition and something that should be a lifestyle change, and you will be more energetic, sleep better, be in a much better mood, live longer and the list goes on and on!

You sound like you're doing it right, building up slowly, and feel free to mix it up, using the different cardio machines, circuit training. Despite "reports" to the contrary, exercise is great for you, you don't have to kill yourself working out to see benefits. Though Atkins doesn't really get into the exercise issue in his book, I believe that it's because that's not his specialty, the low-carb way of eating was his specialty. Exercise is great for everyone!

Keep up the great work!

LL
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:56

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am the last one who should say this, but please do not expect increased weight loss speed from walk/jog/run. The problem is your legs. Your legs need min. 8-12 weeks to be ready to run 30 min. Much more to run 60 min. During these weeks your body adapts to run, becomes more efficient, running on less fuel. I ran 25 miles/week with 90 min long runs last summer, still losing the last 10 lbs took more than 3 months.
Running is wonderful, has many advantages - advantages you can not measure with a scale:-))) For example it is excellent way to "tone" your legs, butts.

It is widely recommended to change your exercise routine in every 6-8 weeks. How about step by step incorporating some other type of cardio or weight training?

There were a couple of threads for people who had less than 10lbs, 5 lbs to lose - it seems there is no miracle cure: simply be patient:-)))
Congratulations to your weight loss:-)

Eva
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:03

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2

Thanks guys. I used to be a runner/walker until a foot injury a year ago so I am just restarting my routine since surgery. I just have to take it slow as to not reinjure myself. I always enjoyed it and the many benefits and I have missed it immensely. Just wondering how my body would react since I was not lcing before.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20

I agree with Lucy!

Even if it does not speed weight loss, you will see a difference in tone and in body fat percentage.

Just walking 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference in the shape of my thighs.

I am in a situation similar to you right now, I have not been able to walk due to a knee injury. I have been biking instead, but not with the same regularity of intensity. I will be so happy to get the all clear from the orthopedist to start walk/jogging again! I know more exercise will make me feel so much better.

Congrats and Happy LCing,
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:12

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

I know that I weigh less and am smaller when I DON'T run or exercise intensely (cardio) but I am addicted tot he exercise high and feel like a total loser if I don't get my exercise in! YM legs also look really great with that muscle tone. DO it for the mood boost!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 18:43

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

Thanks for giving me another reason to drag myself to the gym (not a natural athlete).
If I lost my health, what would I do to get it back?
The fact you are "chomping at the bit" to get back exercising makes me count my blessings, shut up, and get back on that stairmaster!