Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-06, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:
Default "Fake French Toast" Revisited

I have been using this recipe for a long time. I am not sure who originally came up with it, but it's pretty good.

http://www.carb-lite.au.com/71BAKER...ench_toast.html

One thing I often do, especially if I dont have ricotta in the house, I use softened cream cheese in it's place (which actually tastes better I think). I also use Almond Flour instead of atkins bake mix just because it's what I have available, and it's lower carbs. (I also usually double the recipe and I use 2 packs of splenda instead of measured amounts of granular).

One of the problems with this recipe is the batter is very runny, so you have to use a really small pan or else it will spread out so much it will be more like a crepe.

Also, when mixing the ingredients together, especially when using cream cheese, the cheese doesnt really mix in well, just floats around in the batter. So the final product has little pockets of cheese that didnt get incorporated.

I thought to myself "how can I make this recipe better." So, I figured I will seperate the yolks from the whites and take advantage of their emulsification powers. I mixed everything but the splenda packets in with the yolks and it dissolved great.

Then I whisked the egg whites with a little bit of cream of tarter and the 2 splenda packets until I had semi-stiff peaks.

I sacrificed some of the whites by stirring them into the yolk half. Then I dumped all of the yolk batter onto the whites and folded it all together.

The result was a batter much thicker then usual. A batter that holds its shape when dropped onto a hot frying pan. Not only a difference in the batter but the end result was improved as well. Instead of 2 small densly packed pancakes made in a tiny pan I got 6 light and fluffy pancakes that were all cooked in a large skillet, and they didnt fall apart when I flipped them as often was the case with the other method.

One downside, if you dont eat them right away, they "deflate" but that's generally not a problem .

It takes a little longer to make them this way, and you wind up dirtying an extra bowl (or your stand mixer) but if you have the extra time and dont mind washing an extra dish or two, it does come out better.

Last edited by Goanna : Tue, Nov-14-06 at 20:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 16:15
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

I have again made a revision to this recipe that is MUCh simpler then what I posted above.

Basically, I made the recipe as originally stated accept I used 2 tablespoons of carb quick instead of 1.

Instead of frying in a small pan I sprayed a ceramic bowl that was about 5" wide with canola spray, and I moved the batter to that. I microwaved on high for about 90 seconds, and I wound up with an awesome fake french toast. It rises much more then it does in the pan, and is really light with a pancake type texture.

I could probably just make this as a bowl muffin and not dirty 2 dishes, but I like to make 2-3 of them and stack them, so it doesnt matter much to me if I have to dirty another bowl.

Last edited by Goanna : Thu, Jun-21-07 at 20:33.