Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 10:34

Plan: fat fast
Stats: 164/158.1/119 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs down ketosis but stalling: too many proteins or fats?

Hallo everyone
here I am again after 2 years and another pregnancy (baby boy 3 months old boy. ). Again, I gained lots of weight during pregnancy and now my weight is the same as 2 yrs ago when I started my LC diet following the Meat & Egg plan and losing 26 lb in 5 months.
this time this WOE did not work so I came across the FAT FAST diet and tried. After 15 days I only lost 8 lb some days total stall, others gaining or very low loosing. I am keeping on 70% fats - 30% proteins and 2% carbs.
i've read almost all posts in this section but i am even more confused: some say fats must be high, some say that excessive fats cause stalls. But Fat Fast is fstty by definition...
Can someone help me to find out my mistakes?

tks a lot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 11:03

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi, aw congrats on your little boy,.
Congrats on getting back on plan,, I think 8lbs is really good,thats 4 lbs a week!!! gosh I wish I could loose that ...unfortunately things take time and your body needs to re-adjust, sometimes it just digs in its heels and you have to keep on eating the same way to outwit it, lol....then it moves aga7n, but maybe not at 4lbs a week....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 00:53

BF:

Thank you for replying! well I made a mistake in converting from Kilos to lb I apologise...actually so far I've lost 5.7 lb not 8
my question is: could my slow loosing be due to EXCESS FAT intake (70%)? Searching around I found lots of articles and post saying that if you are in ketosis but not loosing, ketosis is probably due to FOOD (excessive) FAT, not to BODY FAT burning.
yet, also a very high intake of PROTEIN - as I did at start - could cause ketosis but NOT loosing, 'cause PROTEIN EXCESS turns into glucose in your blood. So now I am very confused on what to do...which is the right balance between Fats and Proteins i shall have?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 03:09

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi, I still think you have had a good loss...but to answer im not sure, everyone works differently, but for me I have to keep my fats really high,I noticed that I should keep protein down and carbs low...I find if I keep my fats at the highest I can this naturally keeps the protein lower, im afraid I dont count .ive tried less fat but I dont loose as easy, I dont do dairy apart from butter, lots of, lol..as it stalls me....so its trial and error im afraid, maybe someone else that works differently to me could help more...you could try higher fat less protein and low carbs and see how you fair if it doesnt shift things after a while, then switch it around......but I like high fat and it keeps my appetite down.....
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 07:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You're not so overweight that I'd expect more than 2 pounds a week in weight loss. As you get older, things slow down too. IMHO you're doing well with everything but you might need a tad more patience.

Yes, some of us do find we have to be cautious of calories and protein. Knowing ratios isn't terribly helpful, it's more important to look at the numbers by weight. Example: 150g of fat, 60g protein, 10g carb, 1600 calories,etc.

Some people do better with more fat, less protein. Protein does convert into glucose so if you eat too much of it, you might find it slows down weight loss, or stalls you.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, May-02-13 at 08:20.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-02-13, 23:48

BF:

Thanks again for your comments my LC friends
So I understand I should try to lower Proteins and increase Fats (non diary ones) even more and see if it has some boosting effect on weight loosing...But How can I achieve this goal? i eat lots of fatty meat,some eggs and some fish cooked in Evo OIL/butter , Parma Ham, as you can read in MY PLAN. Here in Italy we have mediterranean ingredients which Are quite lean. I.e impossible to find pork rinds...
can someone provide some sample very high-FAT menu I can compare with mine and use as guideline?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 06:54

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Breakfast:
Eggs cooked in butter with some bacon
Coffee or tea with coconut oil (be careful as it can have a laxative effect if you're new to the miracle of coconut oil).

Lunch:
Hamburger with mayo and a salad with some nice, fatty dressing

Dinner: When I'm on target, I usually go with a main course of meat and a salad or side dish of veggies. I try to add fat to my meat if it's already lean. Add mayo or some yummy oil. Some people don't do seed oils, but I'm particularly fond on sesame oil and use it in my salads and on my veggies. Yum!

You're doing really great, by the way.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-03-13, 23:31

BF:
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
Breakfast:
Eggs cooked in butter with some bacon
Coffee or tea with coconut oil (be careful as it can have a laxative effect if you're new to the miracle of coconut oil).

Lunch:
Hamburger with mayo and a salad with some nice, fatty dressing

Dinner: When I'm on target, I usually go with a main course of meat and a salad or side dish of veggies. I try to add fat to my meat if it's already lean. Add mayo or some yummy oil. Some people don't do seed oils, but I'm particularly fond on sesame oil and use it in my salads and on my veggies. Yum!

You're doing really great, by the way.

Thank you for helping! Well your menu is quite similar to mine except of salads and veggies which I do not have 'cause I am afraid they could get me out of ketosis...I see you aren't having any snack though...I always have sole bacon or italian Ham as snack at morning and evening.
coconut OIL: I read wonders about it in this forum! unfortunately in Italy is very hard to find, we live on extra vergin OIL which is not the kind you would pur into coffee in spite of my good OIL intake, CONSTIPATION is a real problem and coconut OIL would really help...I wish i could find it somewhere...
Other problem slowing my weight loosing I suspect is that since my baby's birth I still have not had my period And I guess it would take months for it to' come back.It took 11 months for my first baby, only when i stopped breastfeeding him my hormones normalized and i got rid of water retaining problem. I am currently breastfeeding, well 50% mother's milk, 50% formula milk actually but it is enough to cause hormones unbalancing.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-04-13, 09:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Egg yolks, avocado, olives, coconut cream, coconut oil (you can make into coconut bark), nut butters, mayonnaise, macadamia nuts...

You can't get fried crispy pork skin (aka pork rinds) in Italy? I would've thought that would be something you could get anywhere, especially where eating organ meats isn't reviled like it is in the US.

This morning I had a 2-egg omelet with a filling of avocado and mayonnaise. Delicious!

Low carb veggies cooked in your favorite fat: duck, chicken, goose, butter or ghee, if you can't eat butter.

I also think breastfeeding will slow down your weight loss. Maybe just concentrate on eating a very healthy, LC diet right now. When you're finished nursing, tweak the diet to lose the weight.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-04-13, 10:49

BF:

You can order coconut oil online. There are companies like iherb that will deliver internationally for free for orders over a certain amount. That's something to consider.

I try not to snack because that usually means that I'm not eating enough at meal time. However, I'm breastfeeding too, so I do need some extra sometimes. I snack on a small amount of nuts or a hardboilded egg. I also try to get extra veggies each day because I feel like it improves the quality of my breastmilk. I breastfed by babies 100% until 6-9 months, when I introduced solids. Then I continued until they were well past 2 years old. My hormones have been a mess for the past 6 years because of all of that, but I've read so many good things about the benefits of breastfeeding beyond one year...for the baby. Unfortunately...weightloss has not been one of the benefits for me.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-04-13, 16:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You can't get fried crispy pork skin (aka pork rinds) in Italy? I would've thought that would be something you could get anywhere, especially where eating organ meats isn't reviled like it is in the US.

No, absolutely unknown to me until I read about them in this forum..just think I had to search in google in order toi understand what pork rinds are
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-04-13, 16:47

BF:

Quote:
You can order coconut oil online. There are companies like iherb that will deliver internationally for free for orders over a certain amount. That's something to consider.
I'm breastfeeding too, so I do need some extra sometimes. I snack on a small amount of nuts or a hardboilded egg. I also try to get extra veggies each day because I feel like it improves the quality of my breastmilk. I breastfed by babies 100% until 6-9 months, when I introduced solids. Then I continued until they were well past 2 years old. My hormones have been a mess for the past 6 years because of all of that, but I've read so many good things about the benefits of breastfeeding beyond one year...for the baby. Unfortunately...weightloss has not been one of the benefits for me.

Brandy, glad to read there's someone else doing LC whilst breastfeeding. Is your child's doctor informed about it? Mine has strongly warned me not to do diet while I am still breastfeeding, expecially LC diets. Yet I read about lots of mothers doing it, also during pregnancy, without any adverse reacting on their babies. So far I see my milk supply is not decreased and my baby is OK. I take vitamins each day anyway. Were I 100% breastfeeding maybe I would not be on LC, but since I also partially use formula milk I feel more confident.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 07:55

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

hi. I too breastfed my babies...all four, many years ago now. what a wonderful time to spend with your children. I wish I had known about this woe back then. I would think you wouldn't need to worry about how this would effect you baby as this is a healthier way of eating. Healthier mommy-healthier baby. relax, enjoy, keep up the good work.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 08:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsythia
hi. I too breastfed my babies...all four, many years ago now. what a wonderful time to spend with your children. I wish I had known about this woe back then. I would think you wouldn't need to worry about how this would effect you baby as this is a healthier way of eating. Healthier mommy-healthier baby. relax, enjoy, keep up the good work.

I agree. How could eating whole foods be bad? It's what our ancestors ate!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
I agree. How could eating whole foods be bad? It's what our ancestors ate!

I agree with both of you girls