Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:26

Plan: Atkins/body for life
Stats: 154/154/154
BF:
Progress:
Default :q: Vitamins

hey,
I'm not a low carber as such but know abit about atkins and restricting carbs. I'm a vegetarian and eat no way near enough protein and too much unhealthy carbohydrates.
I'm trying to sort this out and just generally eat healthier, I know taking taking vitamins and supplements makes a big difference with this but could anyone recommend any vitamins other than the holland and barrett brand?, I've been taking the megavitamins but am not sure how effective they are, it could just be that my diet in general is poor and I can't feel any difference in taking the vitamins because of that.
Any other recommendations would be greatly welcome. Good luck to everyone who is a "real" low carber, I know someone who needs to follow atkins strictly as they have insulin resistence and see how difficult it can be at times, so much respect for you guys.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 02:40

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Vitamins and Minerals

Hi Rozzy

Taking vitamins on thier own will not make you feel better. A full look at your diet in conjunction with adding supplements will do that.

The reason for taking supplements is to ensure that you get all the necessary vitamins and minerals that you might miss or not get enough of on the low carb way of life. Any good multivitamin and mineral tablet is fine. I do use the ABC H & B brand, but most Supermarkets and Chemists have thier own. For me I also take extra pottasium, calcium & magnesium and cod liver oil capsules.

Have a look at your general food intake. You might like to put it into Fitday. That way you would be able to see at a glance how much carbs, calories, protein and fat you were eating. You say that you are not eating enough protein and you should work on that. I presume that you can add in more cheese, eggs and tofu. Do you eat fish? For better health try to increase protein and decrease your carbs to a reasonable level.

Hope this is helpful.