Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/145/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Question Vital Wheat Gluten / Gluten Flour HELP!

I am REALLY confused over the difference between Vital Wheat Gluten and Gluten flour.... confused about everything except that Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten costs me $10 per 623G and my Local Bulk Barn sells Gluten flour for half that.... is there any difference besides the price? There's no nutritional information for the bulk Gluten flour so I want to make sure I'm not ODing on carbs by baking anything with it before I find out...

Does anyone else purchase Gluten flour from the "Bulk Barn", and if yes, do you have the nutritional information for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 00:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a link to what the difference is

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/gluten.html

Check in a few grocery stores in the baking section and they most likely will have it. Safeway carries it here.

You could also talk to the manager of the store and ask them to get in touch with the supplier for the nutritinal info for you.

It sounds like Bulk Barn is gouging...it's cheaper here in Vancouver. If there is no labelling, be on the safe side and cut to the chase. With Bob's Red Mill you can be sure that you are getting what you want.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 16:54

Stats: 150/145/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

I appreciate the quick response... a baking I will go!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 22:38

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It will cost you more per kilo, but you might be better off going with Wheat Protein Isolate instead. WPI is just vital wheat gluten with more starch removed. Quite a bit more starch, as a matter of fact - only a small fraction of the carbs. Because of it's high protein content, you use quite a lot less to get the same binding/leavening/strengthening results, making it cheaper in the long run.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:07

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I read the bulk barn gluten flour description at it said it was 80%protein, which I believe is the same as Bob's.

I have been using it with no problems.

brobin
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 11:46

Plan: weight watchers
Stats: 144.8/142.2/120 Female 5 ft. 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Post Gluten Steaks

Hi! I am not really into this "No carbs thing" but I do keep them low. Being vegetairian all my life there are several ways that I make meatless dishes. One of these is Gluten steaks.
Make a strong broth and take out a couple of cups of it and while the rest is coming to a boil mix with gluten flour to form a smooth rubbery dough. After the broth is boiling cut of peices and carefully drop into broth. put on a lid and turn down to simmer for a hour or longer (as long as you can cook it is better) then enjoy like this or bread and fry ( the tasty but unhealthy way
you can also recook it in a crock pot with bbq sauce or salsa. it can be diced ,sliced or ground up for burger. we love these.

hope this opens some eyes to new possibilities...

God Bless,