Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which is the lesser of 2 evils? If you were going to eat processed LC foods...
Grains are better - LC Tortillas, LC bread etc. 66 54.55%
Low Carb Bars, Candy or Foods with SA? 13 10.74%
Avoid them both and have some eggs instead 42 34.71%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:48
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Lesser of 2 evils

I chose grains as the better option since fiber goes through totally undigested and is healthier and more nutritious than the SA IMO
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I say grain cause the fiber will help you ummm GO! and because with out the LC trotillas i would not have been able to make it on this diet for as long as i have.
they make such great fast dinners when i dont have time to cook
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I chose grains because they are part of building up to maintenance levels for me... I like to choose products with as close to natural ingredients as I can, and sugar alcohols might make a good treat occasionally, anything THAT hard on my "constitution" just can't be good....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I went for the grain products. At least nutritionally, they are a better choice than candy (fiber, vitamins and minerals there).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:17

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

definitely the grains
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 05:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I chose neither, and went for the eggs instead.

As I'm still losing weight I feel it's best to avoid either. Once I enter pre-maintenance and maintenance, then I may start looking to add grains back into my woe.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 06:38

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Grains but not those

The so-called low carb tortillas etc. are not whole grain, I think they have added soy. I know most of you follow Atkins, and this is a South Beach Diet point but I think he agrees too: whole grain is better than processed stuff. SBD suggests that carbs that are tied to a lot of fiber as in whole grain are processed much slower by your body, and thus low glycemic index. So, from time to time I eat a whole grain bread imported from Germany sold here as Fitness bread, sunflower bread, in slices that are about 3 inches x 8 inches in size, and pretty dark brown - you see the grains, and you feel them - you need to chew!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:21

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I say grains because they have more nutritional value especially if they are truly whole. I eat soy for its protein value. When I say whole grain, I mean that the outer part of the grain is not discarded. Sometimes these are mixed.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:31

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

Grains for sure.. I either have Roman Meal Carb Aware 100 wheat or a good Rye. But I only have 1 slice a week buttered with my eggs.

I need eggs over easy sometimes instead of scrambled

Fiber is very good
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:40
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

grains, hands down! Those sugar alcohols can be brutal on my digestive system.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

It really depends on the product.

Low carb bars usually have a ton of calories and sugar alcohols for very little nutrition (unless it is a meal replacement bar, then the calories/carbs are worth the protein/vitamins).
Low carb grain replacements, on the other hand, are usually lower in calorie and do not contain all the sugar alcohols.

As I said, I think it depends a lot on the product. I think an atkins meal replacement bar is a better choice than a cup of fake spaghetti, but on the other hand a slice of 60 calorie 5 carb bread fortified with vitamins is a better choice than something like atkins peanut butter cups (200 calories, tons of SA, no vitamins/minerals/protein).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika4
The so-called low carb tortillas etc. are not whole grain, I think they have added soy. I know most of you follow Atkins, and this is a South Beach Diet point but I think he agrees too: whole grain is better than processed stuff. SBD suggests that carbs that are tied to a lot of fiber as in whole grain are processed much slower by your body, and thus low glycemic index. So, from time to time I eat a whole grain bread imported from Germany sold here as Fitness bread, sunflower bread, in slices that are about 3 inches x 8 inches in size, and pretty dark brown - you see the grains, and you feel them - you need to chew!

Alot of LC Breads aren't as heavy on the Soy as they used to be. Alot of folks are beginning to use Wheat Protein and Wheat Gluten more often. Plus, Light Breads are typically made with Regular Flour, Fiber/Bran, and Wheat Protein/Gluten. Here's the ingredients from a few LC Grains:

Sara Lee Delightfull White Bread: Water, Enriched White Flour, Cottonseed Fiber, Wheat Gluten, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Protein Isolate, Corn Starch, Yeast, Salt, Calacium Propionate, Yeast Nutrients, Natural Flavor, Dough Conditioners, Soybean Oil, Sucralose (Splenda), Guar Gum

Nature's Own Wheat 'N Fiber Bread: Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Protein, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Corn Starch, Yeast, Soy Fiber, Soybean Oil, Wheat Bran, Salt, Dough Conditioners, Cultured Whey, Vinegar, Monocalcium Phosphate, Yeast Food

LaTortilla Garlic & Herb: Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Oat Fiber, Soy Flour, Cold Pressed Canola Oil and/or Safflower Oil, Garlic, Spices, Baking Powder, Salt, Yeast, Xanathan Gum, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate

Vita's Low-Carb Tortillas: Whole Wheat Flour, Cottonseed Fiber, Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Baking Soda, Calcium Propionate, Sucrose (White Sugar), Sweet Whey (Milk Sugar & Protein), Fumaric Acid, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Corn Starch, Sorbic Acid, Active Dried Yeast, Dough Conditioners

Subway Wrap: Water, Wheat Gluten, Corn Starch, Whole Wheat Flour, Oat Fiber, Soy Protein Isolate, Soy Flour, Soybean Oil, Salt, Sesame Seed Flour, Baking Powder, Dextrose, Calcium Propionate, Fumaric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Mono- and Diglycerides, Sucralose (Splenda), L-Cysteine

Atkins Country White Bread Mix: Wheat Gluten, Low Glycemic Corn Starch, Salt, Casein Protein, Whey Protein, Dry Active Yeast

MiniCarb Buttery Biscuit Mix: Soy Protein Isolate, Soy Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten, Oat Bran, Salt, Baking Soda, Sucralose (Splenda)

Darielle Pasta: Defatted Soy Flour, Pasteurized Egg White, Rice Flour, Wheat Gluten, Soy Protein Isolate

Keto Spaghetti: Soy Protein Isolate, Wheat Gluten, Durum Wheat, Semolina, Egg Albumin, Carageenan Gum, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Sorbate, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

The ones in Bold are Soy Flour/Soy Protein Free. Basically, the sliced Breads and Wraps aren't as heavy in Soy as they used to be. The Pastas are still heavy in it, though.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/170/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't eat the bars, but I choose a good sugar free chocolate. Seems like all the big companies have a product on the market now. They may cause a temporary stall and make me avoid company for awhile, but grains, even the healthy ones, make me crave carbs. This is a surprising choice for me because before this woe, I ate a lot of brown rice and whole grain bread (the really dark, chewy kind). I have been a health nut all my life. Trouble is, I just kept getting bigger.

I did not choose eggs because I am at one of those points where I do not even want to think about eating eggs ~grin~ low sodium green olives or a few nuts usually satisfies me.

carole
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:15

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Give me a fried soft taco filled with cream cheese, cinnamon and spleda anyday!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:26
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I think an atkins meal replacement bar is a better choice than a cup of fake spaghetti

I guess the atkins bar has more nutrients in it, but its also very heavily processed soy protein and sugar alcohols and glycerine and other stuff... why would that be any better than the LC pasta and a mulitivitamin? I would assume the higher fiber content in the LC pasta would be more beneficial as well as not having the laxative effect.