Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 19:34

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%
Default PCOS after menopause?

I'm 56 and my 32 year old daughter was diagnosed with PCOS. Since it's often hereditary, low and behold, I'm sure that I also have it because of the symptoms.

My daughter lost a lot of weight on Metaformin and when I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid and referred to an endrocronolgist, I asked him about my also taking Metaformin. He said that since I'm post-menopause, it is not necessary. But, I still have the skin tags multiplying daily, acne, weight gain, hair problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol despite low carb, and I don't lose weight no matter what. Does anyone know if Metaformin would help me? Or is the doctor right and it's useless since I'm post-menopause?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 19:58
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
I'm 56 and my 32 year old daughter was diagnosed with PCOS. Since it's often hereditary, low and behold, I'm sure that I also have it because of the symptoms.

My daughter lost a lot of weight on Metaformin and when I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid and referred to an endrocronolgist, I asked him about my also taking Metaformin. He said that since I'm post-menopause, it is not necessary. But, I still have the skin tags multiplying daily, acne, weight gain, hair problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol despite low carb, and I don't lose weight no matter what. Does anyone know if Metaformin would help me? Or is the doctor right and it's useless since I'm post-menopause?

How long have you low-carbed, and how low is low-carb for you?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 12:00

Since 2001 and I usually stick with between 20 and 30 carbs per day.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 12:28
Contrarian

Quote:
Since 2001 and I usually stick with between 20 and 30 carbs per day.

If your carbs are consistently that low, metformin is probably not a good idea....it inhibits gluconeogensis in the liver, which is why in most dietary trials it is eliminated in almost all who restrict carbohydrate (eliminated within the first two weeks).....those using low-carb diets in clinical practice also report eliminating metformin for the same reason.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 12:16

So, then, is there no hope of my ever losing weight? I'm at 230 pounds and even when I was exercising 3 hours per day stalled and could not lose any weight. My doctor is now suggesting by-pass surgery because nothing works for me and I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 13:33
Contrarian

Quote:
So, then, is there no hope of my ever losing weight? I'm at 230 pounds and even when I was exercising 3 hours per day stalled and could not lose any weight. My doctor is now suggesting by-pass surgery because nothing works for me and I'm at a loss as to what else to do.

You're following low-carb.....how much are you eating each day? Are you actually eating enough calories? Protein (especially important)? What does a typical day look like for you for foods and beverages? I'll see if I can offer any insights to help jump-start the weight loss, OK?