Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 19:34
Carmen51 Carmen51 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 327
 
Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%
Location: North-West Wisconsin
Default PCOS after menopause?

I'm 56 and my 32 year old daughter was diagnosed with PCOS. Since it's often hereditary, low and behold, I'm sure that I also have it because of the symptoms.

My daughter lost a lot of weight on Metaformin and when I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid and referred to an endrocronolgist, I asked him about my also taking Metaformin. He said that since I'm post-menopause, it is not necessary. But, I still have the skin tags multiplying daily, acne, weight gain, hair problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol despite low carb, and I don't lose weight no matter what. Does anyone know if Metaformin would help me? Or is the doctor right and it's useless since I'm post-menopause?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 19:58
ReginaW's Avatar
ReginaW ReginaW is offline
Contrarian
Posts: 2,759
 
Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
I'm 56 and my 32 year old daughter was diagnosed with PCOS. Since it's often hereditary, low and behold, I'm sure that I also have it because of the symptoms.

My daughter lost a lot of weight on Metaformin and when I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid and referred to an endrocronolgist, I asked him about my also taking Metaformin. He said that since I'm post-menopause, it is not necessary. But, I still have the skin tags multiplying daily, acne, weight gain, hair problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol despite low carb, and I don't lose weight no matter what. Does anyone know if Metaformin would help me? Or is the doctor right and it's useless since I'm post-menopause?


How long have you low-carbed, and how low is low-carb for you?
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 12:00
Carmen51 Carmen51 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 327
 
Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%
Location: North-West Wisconsin
Default

Since 2001 and I usually stick with between 20 and 30 carbs per day.
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 12:28
ReginaW's Avatar
ReginaW ReginaW is offline
Contrarian
Posts: 2,759
 
Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
Since 2001 and I usually stick with between 20 and 30 carbs per day.


If your carbs are consistently that low, metformin is probably not a good idea....it inhibits gluconeogensis in the liver, which is why in most dietary trials it is eliminated in almost all who restrict carbohydrate (eliminated within the first two weeks).....those using low-carb diets in clinical practice also report eliminating metformin for the same reason.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 12:16
Carmen51 Carmen51 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 327
 
Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%
Location: North-West Wisconsin
Default

So, then, is there no hope of my ever losing weight? I'm at 230 pounds and even when I was exercising 3 hours per day stalled and could not lose any weight. My doctor is now suggesting by-pass surgery because nothing works for me and I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 13:33
ReginaW's Avatar
ReginaW ReginaW is offline
Contrarian
Posts: 2,759
 
Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
So, then, is there no hope of my ever losing weight? I'm at 230 pounds and even when I was exercising 3 hours per day stalled and could not lose any weight. My doctor is now suggesting by-pass surgery because nothing works for me and I'm at a loss as to what else to do.


You're following low-carb.....how much are you eating each day? Are you actually eating enough calories? Protein (especially important)? What does a typical day look like for you for foods and beverages? I'll see if I can offer any insights to help jump-start the weight loss, OK?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:06.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.