Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 06:24

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default The Couch to 5K Running Program

I was wondering if anyone is interested in getting a group together on here to begin the Couch to 5K Running Progam.... Here is a link of the routines below. I just started mine on Monday and would like to see if anyone else wants to join me...

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

TJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 06:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

Count me in. I can't run, but my goal is 5K by Thanksgiving.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamom
Count me in. I can't run, but my goal is 5K by Thanksgiving.

Welcome aboard... I haven't ran in years...but used to enjoy it in my younger days! Hoping to make the 5k and beyond...

TJ
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 07:30
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I used this program and will be running my first half marathon September long weekend

My first 5K was ran Jan 1/08.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 09:15

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
I used this program and will be running my first half marathon September long weekend

My first 5K was ran Jan 1/08.

Hey, we're in it together! I ran my first 5K 12/31/07 and am training for a half marathon in November. I nixed the September half marathon to take some time off to lose weight and so I have to start a little back from where I was. I wish you luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 09:50
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

My first 5k was in 2005 and I'm still not up for a half marathon! I still love doing 5ks though, I've got a 5k race Thursday night.

TJ, enjoy the Couch to 5k program! I used to like running as a teen and hadn't done it for years, I was surprised to find I liked it as much or more now as an adult. I hope you find the same thing!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:01

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
My first 5k was in 2005 and I'm still not up for a half marathon! I still love doing 5ks though, I've got a 5k race Thursday night.

TJ, enjoy the Couch to 5k program! I used to like running as a teen and hadn't done it for years, I was surprised to find I liked it as much or more now as an adult. I hope you find the same thing!

I think you've got your head in the right place. I think I'd be more fit if I just concentrated on running 5k's well thank trying all these longer distances!

Janine
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 15:47
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Hey, we're in it together! I ran my first 5K 12/31/07 and am training for a half marathon in November. I nixed the September half marathon to take some time off to lose weight and so I have to start a little back from where I was. I wish you luck!

You too!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 21:27

Thanks for all of the comments...the first day wasn't so bad... I was pleasantly surprised... Looking forward to Wednesday...

TJ
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 22:02

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Thanks for all of the comments...the first day wasn't so bad... I was pleasantly surprised... Looking forward to Wednesday...

TJ

Congratulations! Getting out there the first time is the hardest.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 09:14

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default I'll Join, I'll Join!!

Hi there!

I used to do a lot of running... in my pre-baby pre-20 extra lbs life!

I'm heading to the gym today for the first time in a loooooong time and planned on stepping on the treadmill for a km or two.

I'm with you!

Are we going to log it here or have you opened another log somewhere that I could join?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 13:21

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey there Skeeweeaka,

I did it, not much... but it's a start.

A little over a mile, one min running, one min walking.

I'm with ya!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 13:53
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Great start!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea
Hi there!

I used to do a lot of running... in my pre-baby pre-20 extra lbs life!

I'm heading to the gym today for the first time in a loooooong time and planned on stepping on the treadmill for a km or two.

I'm with you!

Are we going to log it here or have you opened another log somewhere that I could join?

Hey Linnea....we can log in here...just as good as any.... Great start for you.... Well tomorrow is my day, wish me luck...will let you know how I feel afterwards...

TJ
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 06:16

Hello everyone...just completed W1D2. I thought it was going to be difficult because I've been sore since the first run but it went well. The air was nice and crisp and breezy out....looks like rain so I was in heaven.... Used a stop watch today instead of counting and I was about on target. Did an extra running set of about 1.33 minutes... Actually, I can't believe I'm doing this....finally doing something that I've only been dreaming of...who knew.. I'm excited and looking forward to finishing this and getting back in shape. Hope everyone has a good run today!

Here's a breadown of the program for anyone who is interested....

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan
Our beginner's running schedule has helped thousands of new runners get off the couch and onto the roads, running 3 miles in just two months.
By Josh Clark
Posted Wednesday, 25 October, 2006

Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.

You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

It's easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don't try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don't feel pressured to continue faster than you're able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you're ready.

A few minutes each week

Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week. That just happens to be the same amount of moderate exercise recommended by numerous studies for optimum fitness. This program will get you fit. (Runners who do more than this amount are doing it for more than fitness, and before long you might find yourself doing the same as well).

Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts. And don't worry about how fast you're going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. For now focus on gradually increasing the time or distance you run.

Run for time, or run for distance

There are two ways to follow this program, to measure your runs by time or by distance. Either one works just as well, choose the option that seems easiest for you to keep track of. If you go with the distance option, and you are not using a track to measure the distances, just estimate. It's not important to have the distances absolutely exact.

Before setting out, make sure to precede each session with a five-minute warmup walk or jog. Be sure to stretch both before and after. Read "Stay Loose" for some suggestions.

The Cool Running Couch to 5K program is now available for download in Active Trainer. It's the same program that has helped thousands of runners across the finish-line, published to your personal online training calendar. Active Trainer allows you to log your progress against the program. Try the program today!

The schedule
Bookmark this page so that you can easily return to check on your progress.

Week Workout 1 Workout 2 Workout 3
1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:

4 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

5 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.
6 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Jog 1 mile (or 10 minutes)
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2-1/4 miles (or 25 minutes) with no walking.

7 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

8 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).

9 Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes). The final workout! Congratulations! Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Wed, Jul-23-08 at 20:37.