Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 08:45

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%

Yes it is a bit dreary here at the moment--it snowed three inches yesterday, but that has turned into slush and a drizzle of rain right now. Hoping for spring!

I keep an eye on several threads, but this is really the only one I have posted in. I also keep track of certain journals--it gives me good ideas for meals, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 09:48
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

I don't really know of other threads. And no, the SBP is not as popular on forums. It wasn't as commercialized, so less people know about. I find most people have been told about it, so it more of a word of mouth thing. As far as recipe ideas. I take recipes from magizines, internet, books... I go for "low carb" recipes, that usually end up being protein based and then I add a healthy carb like brown rice or whole wheat pasta. So I look for main course recipes for fish, beef, chicken or whatever protein and then make up the rest.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%
Talking websites & weight gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Are there any sites on the internet you would recommend for ideas? It seems there are many discontinued threads, and not many Schwarzbeiners.

Other than the schwarzbein website I don't know of any SBP internet resources.

I agree with ArticCat completely!! I was told about the SBP through word of mouth, otherwise I had never heard of it. I think most people who hear about it and don't read the book think it is an ultra low carb diet (if they are on a low fat high carb diet) or another high carb diet (if they are on something like Atkins). If only everyone HAD to read the book!! LOL

Anyway hapy cooking - we bought the recipe books, and they are worth every cent.

BTW, on the weight front I am still gaining I think. So far I've gone from size 8 Australian pant size (size 4 American) to a loose size 14. And My sides are getting folds!! Argh! I look like an accordian! I've never had that before. I'm still trying to keep positive.... don't know what I could be doing wrong (or hopefully I am just healing, won't gain any more and will lose eventually). I'm going to start keeping a journal, to keep closer check. And at least I'm not bright yellow anymore, and I know I'm gaining muscle too. Anyway. I better go start my homework.. no rest for the wicked, right?

Last edited by Elizlea : Fri, Mar-10-06 at 18:54. Reason: added stuff
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 06:54

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%

Elizabeth--don't get discouraged about the weight gain (I know that's easy to say...) If this seems like the right plan to you, then just remember that many people do gain at first--(I have stopped gaining and am hovering at 170ish)--If you keep excercising, and eat the right things, I think it will work itself out. KSRT who has posted on one of the other threads we started recently--I think the "meal ideas" thread--said that she gained 40 pounds to start with. Dr. S is fond of saying that skinny doesn't mean healthy, and that you need to be healthy to lose weight. From what I have read from the other posters here--if you stick with it, are patient and follow the plan, you will eventually succeed. Then you can come back and give advice to other newbies...
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 00:15
Registered Member

Thanks Cavendish, that was just what I needed to hear .

I started yoga again today!! A very gentle 20 minute workout. It was great. And I've gotten lots of homework done, lol.

See you all around! Thanks for the help
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 14:10

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello, Elizlea--
I saw somewhere else that you are worried because you were a size 4 and now you are really putting on the pounds with SP. After all your hard work at WW getting those pounds off, I'd be very disturbed too. Here's my best advice: contact the author.

Diana Schwarzbein MD
Endocrinology Institute
5901 Encina Road Suite A
Goleta CA 93117-2269

tel: 805-861-0003 (add in US phone prefix from your end before
the 805 area code)

Their offices are closed from 12-2 Pacific Standard Time

Also, her website lists doctors who have taken her courses and are Schwarzbein approved.

None of this help comes cheaply--unlike our "help" on line, but sooner is better than later I think.

Have you tried using organic coconut oil as one of your principal fats? I've seen a difference in weight. You have to work up to it bit by bit, not too much at once or you'll have too loose a stool.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 04:49
Registered Member

Actually, I've stopped eating cheese altogether and that has helped me ALOT. I realised the other day that after eating cheese I felt absolutely rotten, and so after having been off the cheese for a while my puffy appearance is starting to improve quite alot. Thanks for the help though - if I have any moe problems I'll contact Schwarzbein I thiunk. Thanks for the idea Santabarb!!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 02:48
Registered Member

Ok, now I've put a number to the weight gain - ten kilos, or twenty pounds approximately. I've gone from around 60 kg to around 70 kg. Oh well, I hope I don't gain any more...
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 16:45

BF:

Eliz--
I'd say 10 kilos weight gain is as much as I could stand.

Have a look at the Rosedale diet. It's similar to Schwarzbein in that it's moderate carbs, but emphasizes 'healthy fats'. Maybe you've got to watch out for dairy--non-lactose tolerant? In Rosedale, avocadoes are more emphasized/emphasised. because they are a 'heart healthy' fat. He's also an M.D. You can google Rosedale or Ron Rosedale and get an idea.

BTW, have you compared your calorie intake with WW and Schwarzbein? I wonder if you jumped into another calorie range after leaving WW. It's so tedious on WW, but my friend has actually lost 10 lbs (4kg or so) on it, while I have gotten nowhere with Schwarzbein in the weight loss category. Lost 50 pts. in blood pressure though. That's fabulous! No blood pressure medications for me!

The best to you.

Last edited by santabarb : Sun, Apr-02-06 at 16:51.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Santabarb--My mom lost 30 lbs on WW last year and gained it all (and then some) back already. I have lost numerous times on WW but I have always put it right back on.
I am struggling right now because I know I have gained--and unlike Elizea, I didn't have a lot of room to play with since I am already 30 lbs overweight. BUT...I re-read The Program yesterday and I feel really comminted to not focusing on weight over health! I think the fact that you aren't on blood pressure meds is HUGE And even if you haven't lost weight yet, this may be a sign that your body is starting to heal and the weight loss is just around the corner!
Let's all try to keep our spirits up and think about how we are preventing all kinds of nasty illnesses later in life
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

starting to wonder about dairy myself....
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 02:44
Registered Member

Not eating dairy has helped me feel better, as well as being back on thyroid medicine. Reason being I have a visible goiter. And I would rather feel good physically and maybe lose some of these 20 pounds with thyroid supplement, (at a dose my body needs, not to "cheat" and damage my metabolism) than go on gaining out of porportion to my diet, feeling terrible and having a goiter!!

I've been taking the thyroid for about a week and am starting to feel much better, though I don't know what my weight is doing. No visible changes as yet, and I'm too afraid to go on the scale again and see that I've gained AGAIN!!!! lol !!

Thanks for all the help though, it means alot
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 19:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3boys
Santabarb--I re-read The Program yesterday and I feel really comminted to not focusing on weight over health! I think the fact that you aren't on blood pressure meds is HUGE And even if you haven't lost weight yet, this may be a sign that your body is starting to heal and the weight loss is just around the corner!
Let's all try to keep our spirits up and think about how we are preventing all kinds of nasty illnesses later in life

Dear Nicole,

Thanks so much for your kind words. You're right about not letting pessimism take over. Maybe you and Elizlea and I can form a prayer trio as we slog this out.
You and I are at about the same weight (alas for both of us). But I was thinking of how long it had taken for me to become overweight and then diet resistant--so I guess I'll learn how patience really is a virtue.

You mention The Program. Could you clarify what aspect of what book you are referring to?

Today's Food:

B: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 bacon, 1/2 slice sprouted flourless bread, 1 tsp.Irish butter, decaf organic coffee with whipping cream and saccharin.

S: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 T mayonnaise

L: Chicken leg and thigh, Greek salad (feta, kalamata olives, tomato, iceberg lettuce, oil and vinegar)

D: Lamb cooked in 1 tsp coconut oil, 1/4 avocado, 1 square Valrhona bitter black chocolate: (has 15 gr carbs, 5 gr sugars, 6 gr proteins, 20 gr fat [12 of them saturated].

This Valrhona is so bitter that it quickly satisfies my chocolate tooth. There's just not much point in continuing after that first square because it's just not that great....Gotta work with my psychology, you know.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 23:43

BF:

Cavendish--
Out of curiosity, why did you choose Julius Caesar's words as he crossed the Rubicon "alea iacta est"--the die is cast, the decision is made-- Does it mean that you are "going for broke" on Schwarzbein?
Just curious.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 23:51

BF:

Tazzie and Elizlea:

Regarding dairy--I found a Sandra Cabot, M.D. from Australia who advocates no dairy to help the liver heal and later process foods. I'm not sure where she is on that huge island continent. You can try googling her name. I downloaded a long article from her website--though there are two books.