Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 07:54

Plan: no bread,pasta,potatoes
Stats: 160/158/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I too have tried doing the different Evolution pulses with the 10 in 10 and it's a nice challenge and adds variety. Going to to Evolution this morning. Happy New year all.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 09:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeneed
Have you watched the "callanetics concepts" portion of the Evolution DVD? At the very least watch the concepts and apply them to 10/10. I don't personally happen to like Sandrahana's teaching but as far as giving information on form she is really good, I just rather do Callan's excercises because I feel like I undestand them better lol. They seem more straightforward. Does that make sense?

I'm ashamed to say that I have Evolution but have never gotten that far in the video. I know I should, but I haven't gotten bored with 10/10 yet. Probably because it's still kicking my a**. I had almost decided to save Evolution until I do get bored or feel like I need a challenge. But, on your advice, I'll check the section of form.

Part of why I didn't focus so much on form in the beginning was that I hadn't worked some of those muscles in forever, and I know me. If I had gotten overly perfectionistic in the beginning, it would have been too hard and I would have quit. So, now that I'm in a little better shape, I'm working on the perfectionism thing.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 10:06

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 292.5/192.5/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:ho/ho/ho
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevaboo
I'm ashamed to say that I have Evolution but have never gotten that far in the video. I know I should, but I haven't gotten bored with 10/10 yet. Probably because it's still kicking my a**. I had almost decided to save Evolution until I do get bored or feel like I need a challenge. But, on your advice, I'll check the section of form.

Part of why I didn't focus so much on form in the beginning was that I hadn't worked some of those muscles in forever, and I know me. If I had gotten overly perfectionistic in the beginning, it would have been too hard and I would have quit. So, now that I'm in a little better shape, I'm working on the perfectionism thing.

I hear ya on this! 10/10 is still PLENTY intense. I'm pretty much a perfectionist about form as well, and Sandrahana says its good to think about the poses and make subtle changes while you're pulsing so that you can pulse deeper and better as you go along.

I'm coming up on 10 hours completed this week and I can't wait to evaluate! I think I have unoficially dropped a dress size and I know its not because I lost weight because Lord knows I can't get the scale to budge!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 11:52

Lol, newjeneed. My scale hasn't been budging much, either. I'm just going to blame my TOM right now, though. At some point, though, I'm not going to be able to point my finger at Aunt Flow, though. Then, I guess I'll blame global warming or something.

My clothes are still getting loose, though, so I'll take it.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 12:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey ladies-

I just ordered 10/10 from Amazon because I've seen so many good comments by people who aren't very physically able, so I'm hoping to be joining yall in the workouts soon. Let's hope my mangled back agrees that I should be working out!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Dukan
Stats: 234/168/115 Female 5ft5inch
BF:
Progress: 55%

LittleZu,

I bet you will find your back feeling soooo much better for it. I have had a bad back on and off for several years - the price you pay for nursing Anyway, i strained it pretty bad about a month and a half ago, so bad one day i had to work from home, lying on the living room floor ! Since doing callanetics, not a twinge to be felt, it's great, hasn't been so good since before nursing. Now im off to do hour 17, and find some wood to touch and hope i have jinxed myself into an injury

Helen x
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Well that's encouraging to hear! I've had many many spinal surgeries so I've been looking for something that won't hurt me to do so far as exercise goes, and finally decided on Callanetics after much research. From what I've read, even if I can't do the routine exactly as demonstrated I can modify it to fit my needs, so I'm hoping that's going to work out.

I sure hope you didn't jinx yourself!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 17:37

I don't know how badly messed up your back is, LittleZu, but I do know that Callan Pinckney originally developed Callanetics to help her rehabilitate with her back problems. Here's a quote from the website:
Quote:
Born with spinal curvatures (scoliosis and swayback), one hip higher than the other, and feet turned inward so severely that she wore leg braces to her waist for seven years of her childhood, Callan went on to study classical ballet for twelve years with a protégé of the legendary Michel Fokine.
Then
Quote:
After years of poor diet and the extreme physical demands made on her body she was returned to America in a wheel chair from extreme pain in her knees and back. She was advised to have surgery on her knees and back but decided to try exercise first.

After trying several forms of exercise, all of which made her condition and pain worse, she began to experiment with different exercise techniques combined with her previous ballet experience. She discovered that by performing some very small and precise movements not only was she pain free but her body looked and felt better than it had since she was a child.

I actually have titanium rods in my left arm and leg, so I'm not 100% able to do a normal work out, but I'm not having much problem with anything so far. Of course, I've only really done 10 in 10, so that's not saying much. My advice is to watch the video a few times before trying, and then when you do try, keep the remote handy so you can pause to figure out exactly how you can do the exercise.

Anyway, good for you that you've decided to give it a go!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 22:24

If anyone wants to join me, I've started a January Callanetics thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...550#post7680550