Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/180 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:
Default 2 questions in 1, beer and Atkins bars

Hi, another post as just starting out.

Firstly beer, I've always been able to take it or leave it. But I made the decision to quit drinking until I reach my goal weight, and even after that I'll just stick with spirits and diet coke, easy peasy..........BUT, and its a 'but' thats bothering me, theres an old bloke in his 80s who lives nearby who comes for a visit once a week, and we have a chat and a couple of beers (the heavier British ale type), and I'd feel really guilty telling him I can't share a couple of beers with him anymore, so the question is, will this 'cheating' knock me off plan? or will a couple of 440ml cans a week make no difference really if I'm strict with myself the rest of the time (I intend staying on the 20g induction for the first 3 or 4 months)

Stick with me

Question 2 is about Atkins chocolate bars and others thoughts on them. Sugar is a complete no no now, is it best to give these bars a miss? I know there's only 2 or 3 carbs in each one, most on here are saying your sugar cravings disappear in a couple of weeks, but I'm thinking having one as a treat each night is just going to keep that craving at the back of your mind, and might give a bigger chance of falling off the wagon fairly quickly?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 06:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Two common questions, and my short answer to both, is No.

Atkins Candy. A complete fairy tale. https://www.dietdoctor.com/atkins-fairy-tale-candy
They are around 20g carbs and those sugar alcohols will stoke your sweet tooth. While subtracting fiber from vegetables might be fine for weight loss, using net carbs for sugar alcohols, inulin, or other LC food-like substances will bounce you off the wagon before it starts down the road.

Alcohol of any type is not recommended for weight loss, and a heavy beer dense with wheat based carbs. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...6&postcount=163
Would he care if you served him a beer and you have the drink of your choice? It's the visit and company, not what's in the glass. And there are some ultra-light LC beers you might try if a glass of water doesn't work for you. International choices of beer here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol#beer

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-29-17 at 07:41.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Once I start compromising just this or just that, a lot more situations arise where I compromise too. The easy thing to do say you started a diet and beers not allowed I'm having blah blah blah. Would you like that or still going with beer?

I'd still have the drink just make it hard liqur. BTW your tolerance will go down on LC.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 08:47

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

One or two cans of Guinness is fine as it has only 9.9 carbs per can. I have not found another brand that is even close.

I've never had a problem with Atkins bars at all. They do cause some gas though.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 13:34

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

If you want to stay under 20 g per day, then you can budget out 10 g for one can of ale or beer and nurse it while you're socializing. You can try that. If it doesn't work for you, then stick with mineral water, Diet Coke or some other zero carb beverage. Have the gentleman's favorite ale on hand to offer him. I would bet it's the visiting and chatting that means the most to him, not watching you knock 'em back.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 05:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There is some controversy over the Guinness claim to be a dry stout, but most carb counters set a 12 oz can or bottle at 14 g carbs. As in the Diet Doctor graphic, Newcastle ale is also up at the top with 13g carbs. But when you want a tasty beer what is 5 carbs difference? But if you would rather save 12 g in carbs, try the light beers.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 07:36

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
T...if you would rather save 12 g in carbs, try the light beers.

Yes indeed! I'll have an extremely rare social glass of beer or Merlot, and I've always preferred dark beer or ale, but since low carbing I've tried my husband's Coors light which has only 5 g per can and it's actually pretty good!

Another trick is to simply fill your 12 oz. beer mug or glass three quarters of the way or pint mug or glass halfway, with a generous head, and get rid of the rest.

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Aug-31-17 at 07:50.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 19:17

Stats: 250/237.7/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I think it is super nice that you want to find a way to make the elder gentleman feel comfortable. He just might feel odd if he's the only one drinking.

This may sound silly, but perhaps, if your beer is in a can, you could keep an empty can, fill it with water and he won't know you're not drinking beer!! Bigger problem if you can't hide the fact that it is water.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 21:47

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Thanks Jey. Yes, when I refer to "Guinness" I mean Guinness draft and not Guinness dry stout.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-17, 07:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Can't deny a Brit his couple of pints!

No pubs here, so I occasionally have red wine without problems, but keep in mind it can lead to off plan snacking and can have more of an effect on some people. I used to like low-carb beer, but lost my taste for it in favor of a Full Sail or Red Stripe. Now I go thru a lot of sparkling mineral water in the hot weather.