Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:58

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Question...when you were diagnosed...

with fibro or CFS, were you over 40 and overweight?

I would have been diagnosed two years ago, but my GP sent me to a doctor that didn't believe in either problem. He said that it was a problem of "overweight, over 40, out of shape women" and that all they had to do was take care of themselves and it would go away.

Please don't kill the messenger.

I am just curious to know how many of your out there that suffer, fall into his category when you were diagnosed, or if that took awhile, when you first noticed the symptoms.

My answer: I first noticed symptoms of fibro, not realizing what it was, around 37 or so. About the same time I noticed my hormones starting to fluctuate a little (onset of peri-menopause). But I had SAD (although I didn't know it) since I was in my 20's.

Thanks a lot for your info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1991 .. 33 yrs old at the time. I was not obese at the time, and was very active ... aerobics and aquafit classes every week, plus my then-partner and I were very outdoorsy, frequently going on long hikes and canoe trips on weekends. But I definitely had symptoms for at least 2 or 3 years before that, especially the non-restorative sleep disorder and yes, episodes of mild wintertime depression. Note though, that depression is only associated with fibro, it's not a diagnostic symptom.

I did not become obese until about 4 or 5 yrs after diagnosis .. the fat piled on when I followed a lowfat vegetarian diet in the belief that it was much more healthy for me. Pfffttt, I was always hungry, and never felt satiated no matter how much brown rice or whole wheat I ate. I ultimately developed Irritable Bowel from overexposure to grains, plus many fibro symptoms worsened, especially the hypoglycemia and profound fatigue. At least that has improved with low-carbing!

Not all people diagnosed with fibro are overweight women over 40 who need a better attitude. There are teenagers and men with fibro too.

Sounds like that dr needs to catch up to the 21st century

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 15:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Thanks for the info...

I agree about the doctor. I defjintely won't go to him every again!

I have been searching for statistics and can't seem to find any. Other than an overall statistic of fibro in America. I am curious not only about the stats in this country, but other countries as well. Such as, are there other countries where it is unheard of?

I am determined there has got to be a natural way to make it better, and right now am looking into the omega diet.

I also tried low fat, vegetarian in 1997. My moods were much better, but my skin, aching and IBS became awful!

I have read there are those that believe it ocld be from a allergies to yeast and/or wheat. That one makes me go hmmmm, because I have always noticed an improvement in pain and IBS when I do low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 19:15

Plan: Atkin's Modified
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 65"
BF:32%
Progress: 24%
Default Age when diagnosed

I was 27 when I was diagnosed with CFS. Overweight only because I couldn't exercise.

Actually, the first signs that I was sick was that I was gaining weight, I was loosing handfuls of hair, my nails would be brittle and split, my eyesight was getting worse, and my short-term memory was shot.

I thought it was just motherhood but even that isn't as bad as CFS.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 01:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

It was last December. I had just turned 32 and I weighed about 165 lbs and had lost 11lbs in a low fat diet. In a later visit I asked the doctor if I lost more weight, would it help the symptoms. He said he did not think it would cause a significant difference but overall it would not be a bad idea and we then talked about a high protein diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/134/135
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hah - that Dr. is dead wrong..I was 18 when the first fibro symptoms hit...not overweight..not skinny either...but definately NOT over 40 at the time...It did take until I was over 40 (and overweight) to get a diagnosis though...but the symptoms have been there for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time...I had a severe bout with flu (or it could have been some other virus-y thing) that took 3 months for the major symptoms to go away when I was a senior in high school, but I never felt 'right' after that. Went thru a major flare when my daughter was little - every time I sat down I fell asleep! It was tricky working (at a job) thru that!