Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 12:40
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Cholesterol newbie

Hi! I just got my results from a cholesterol test and the numbers are:

Good: 45
Bad: 161
Total: 226

Is this good or bad. The nurse said I was high but my mothers numbers are far worse.
In other words, should I panic?

On a previous test my Good was lower, my Bad was about the same, and my total was more, if that helps. Thanks

I'm curious how I can alter my LC to help with this... I don't want new meds. I take enough! I do eat red meat daily (I don't like pork) and chicken often. Does that help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 22:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Lessara,

HDL (good) 45 - (over 40 is good ... over 60 is excellent) ... yours has increased, that's good

LDL (bad) 160 - Desirable below 130. 160 is considered high.

total chol. 226 - desirable below 200. 220 is moderate, over 240 is high

Triglyceride levels are more indicative of heart disease risk than cholesterol. Did you have triglyc. checked too? It should be below 200.

Without knowing the triglyceride level, and whether it came down or went up from the last time, it's hard to say. My gut feeling is don't panic.

In Protein Power, the Drs. Eades explain:
Quote:
I’ve been on the plan for awhile and feel better than I ever have. I’ve lost weight, my blood pressure is down and my sugar levels are now normal. My most recent lab tests show that my cholesterol and LDL went up. What am I doing wrong?

First of all, be aware that you are not doing anything wrong. The most consistent finding after people go on our program is that triglycerides drop and HDL, the "good" cholesterol increases. This indicates that your insulin levels have dropped and you have stopped converting excess amounts of sugar into fats as trigylcerides. Cholesterol is a number that is composed of both good and bad fractions, therefore we don’t tend to track it nearly as close as more specific levels of HDL, triglycerides and LDL. LDL cholesterol is made up of different particles that vary from person to person. Depending on the type of particles that predominate, one is said to have either pattern A or pattern B. With pattern A, the LDL is light, fluffy, and relatively large. This pattern is actually thought to be beneficial. With pattern B, the molecule is heavy, dense, and relatively small. This pattern is thought to be detrimental. Pattern B is a partial consequence of excessively elevated triglycerides. When triglycerides go down after the Protein Power Plan has been adopted, a phenomenon called the "beta shift" occurs where LDL is transformed into pattern A. So, paradoxically, even though the level of LDL appears to increase, the type of LDL that is being formed is usually much healthier. The difficult part is that the lab testing to determine your levels of LDL "A" and LDL "B" can only be done in a research laboratory with electrophoresis methods. While we cannot be 100% certain that this is what happened in your case, the research strongly supports this view.

The most important thing is to look at the overall picture. With the Protein Power approach we look at the triglyceride/HDL ratio as one of the best measurements of risk for heart disease. An upper limit of 5 is considered desirable, with anything over that indicating an increased risk. Some measures to help bring down your cholesterol and LDL levels are: stay on the plan (some people panic and feel that the plan is causing the opposite effect), take a "no-flush" niacin 500 mg 2-3 capsules per day, increase your fiber intake with perhaps psyllium seed powder-1-2 TBS mixed in water per day, and avoid excessive saturated fats and trans fats (fried foods and margarine.)
I encourage their advice that you cut back on the saturated fat from red meat, high fat dairy (heavy cream, cheese, sour cream) and poultry skin. But don't go lowFAT ... Eat leaner cuts of meat, x.lean ground meats, skinless poultry, smaller amounts of cheese. Then what you do is increase the amount of monounsaturated fat .. use more olive and canola oil. Have avocados and raw nuts (not peanuts) and seeds .. almonds. walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc. Toast them yourself at home. Dry-roast would be ok ... the oil-roasted kind often uses hydrogenated oil (transfats). Monounsaturated fats will help to increase the HDL (good) cholesterol, which is very protective.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 12:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Called nurse to ask questions

Hi Doreen!
I called the nurse and asked her about the test and the tri.
She told me of this last test plus the test before. She says my cholesterol is improving! Here are the result.
However.. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how they get the total?!

August 2001
HDL - 31
LDL - 159
Tri - 234
Overall - 265

January 2002
HDL - 45
LDL - 181
Tri - 69
Overall - 226
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 12:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lessara, look at your Triglycerides!! Wow. What an improvement - your ratio of tri/HDL has gone from 7.54 to 1.53, again I say Wow. The nurse is right - it's improving big time

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:18
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile

hi Lessara,

Yes, Nat is right. The marked decrease in triglycerides is proof that lowcarb works!!

Triglycerides are made up of three fatty acids (the tri part) attached to a molecule of SUGAR (the glyceride part). If you remove sugar .. there's nothing to make triglycerides from. As well, decreased insulin levels mean that the liver isn't being triggered to MAKE triglycerides all the time.

And look at the improvement in HDL .. wow, did that ever come up nicely, from 31 to 45. I have no doubt it will be even higher next time around.

Keep up the good work!!

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 15:36
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Nurse called me

The doctor wanted to warn me that a prolonged time on Atkins has been known to cause Kidney Failures...

Is this another ignorant doctor?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 16:09
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: Nurse called me

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
Is this another ignorant doctor?
YUP

If a person has bad kidney disease to start with, then eating excessive protein can make the problem worse. Eating protein does NOT cause healthy kidneys to become diseased. Ketones do NOT damage kidneys. These are myths, and have never been proven.

Atkins and Protein Power and other ketogenic diets aren't high protein diets. They are ADEQUATE protein diets .. compared to the Food Pyramid which is so low in protein.

Doreen