Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 11:40

Plan: General LC [Net 20]
Stats: 206/206/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Just Started Vytorin

Hello all. I'm really confused what to do here. Two weeks ago I started Vytorin because my total cholesterol is 272 (good choles. low and bad choles. high-don't have the #s with me) and my trigs were 221. Plus the test showed my fasting glucose at 100 and a high A1C so I'm also borderline diabetic. So......I decided to pull my head out of my rear and get serious about LC.

At any rate, I'm starting LC today. I have to see the dr. in three months to re-test my cholesterol after being on the Vytorin for the three months. Just a side note, but this is the fifth statin I've tried over the years and so far I haven't been depressed like I was on the other ones, but oh do my muscles ache.

I'm really tempted to stop taking the Vytorin and just skip seeing the doctor until 6 months or so from now assuming my body will adjust to the LC way of life and my numbers will be better on their own without meds. On the other hand, my father had a stroke at 55 and died of a heart attack at 61 and my mom has congestive heart failure, so I'm really scared about my health. I'm 50 and I also have high blood pressure (I take meds), but I did see a cardiologist two years ago who said my heart checks out, but I'm still concerned.

Should I maybe just stay on the Vytorin and eat LC and go to the doctor in three months and re-test? I just don't know what to do Either way, I'm staying LC.

Thanks for any suggestions, Sandy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 11:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, those muscle aches could lead to permanent muscle damage and the statins are probably not going to do much of anything for you. The LC diet will, but you can't be wishy-washy about it.

There's a link in my signature to many articles about cholesterol and statins. Jimmy Moore has a new book out called "Cholesterol Clarity" that is getting good reviews.

There's tons of stuff in this sub-forum. Read up and decide.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 11:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

You are a woman. There is absolutely NO evidence that statins do a single positive thing for women.

NONE. And you are risking diabetes!

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/01/19/...ing-medication/

Stop those deadly things right now, and buckle down to LC.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 12:18

BF:

Thank yor for the quick replies. You are so right!!! I am going to buckle down to LC and not be wishy-washy. I really HATE taking medicine and statins in particular.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 12:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

They couldnt pay me enough to make me take statins - not even one! they're just a big con IMO

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 12:44

BF:

The dr. gave me 3 months sample Vytorin...he probably knew I wouldn't go out and fill the prescription if I had to buy it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 14:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fill the trashcan, not the prescription.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 15:11

BF:

too funny Nancy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 03:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

All good advice.
How are you doing on low carb? You haven't posted in six weeks or so ... Have you developed a plan that works for you and your stomach issues? Have you ever looked at the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? that includes advice for certain foods which may contribute to stomach issues.http://scdlifestyle.com/
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 14:25

BF:

Janet, I have had immense struggles with adopting a LC way of life. Part of it is due to the fact that I don't really care for the taste of meat and part is due to internal struggles of going against "conventional" wisdom that says fat is bad and grains are good. I get horrible carb withdrawals and I buckle, so I'm taking my omeprazole and trying to keep my fat intake up to hopefully help. Thank you for the link...I will look into that.

Sandy
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 14:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sandy,
You read Wheat Belly. Have you tried his version of low-carb, or what someone called it, "Paleo Lite"? My husband read the book on a long flight and agreed to try it for a month. He completely cut out all grains, inc oatmeal, but not ice cream and some candy (he was thin and became much thinner).

He had been on omeprazole for NINE years and it is known for its re-bound effect. So we cut the dose down slowly as he started feeling better without grains, and had some natural replacements if he did get heartburn. He went completely off the meds and feels terrific. If he decides to have a muffin at a breakfast meeting (something he did recently) he is popping Tums within a few hours. Cheat with Wheat is not something he does very often though! Grains are not Good for either of us for different reasons. you do not have to eat meat...fish, eggs, chicken?, other protein substitutes?

Give Wheat Belly a fair shot, but you do also have to manage the medication rebound effect.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-20-13 at 05:51.