Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 07:44
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default liptor

Hello, My name is Donna. I have had two strokes and now on two liptor and asprin a day. I wanted to know if any body could tell me a site to go to looking for side effects. I went to the doctor last week and my cholestrol was still too high. He raised my liptor to 40 mg a day. I am now have some weird side effects. Such as , leg cramps and numbness in my hands and feet. My body temperature is dropping and I have chills in my extremities. So if anyone could help. I would surely appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 11:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

hi Donna,

Muscle aching and cramping can be a serious side effect of the Lipitor-class of drugs (Zocor, Pravachol and others too). It's more than just aches and pains .. it's possible the muscles are being damaged, and although muslces can repair themselves and become healthy again, the rapid release of muscle-breakdown by-products into the bloodstream can harm the kidneys. The condition is called Rhabdomyelosis. I found an article for you at Medicinenet.com, explaining this serious side effect of cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Please make an appointment to see your doctor within the next day or two (no, you don't need to dash off to Emerg.). She (he) should do a blood test to check the levels of muscle-breakdown products. *Note - muscle cells breakdown, die and are replaced all the time; it's a normal body process of maintenance and repair. It's just that these drugs can speed up the process, and the kidneys become stressed from coping with the sudden increase in waste and by-products.

The drug will likely be discontinued, but don't just stop it yourself ... it's important that you see the doctor soon, not next week or 2 weeks from now.

Keep us posted, hope all goes well

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 06:14
Pending Member

BF:
Default THANKS

Doreen,
Thanks, I will call the doctor today and make an appointment. This just started after he put me on 40 mg a day. Thanks again, and yes I will let everyone know how I am doing.
Donna
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:50

Plan: Doctor Atkins
Stats: 206/168/170
BF:
Progress: 106%

donnaj

Hi Donna,

I had been on Lipitor for several years and I started getting some serious leg muscle and back aches. I stopped the lipitor and the aches went away. Started taking it again and within several days the aches came back.

I went back to my doctor and he put me on zocor with the same effects. It was strange that I had been taking lipitor for that period of time but it did have an effect over time.

I decided to get off all prescription meds and I started Doctor Atkins on January 3, 2002. Quit taking Zocor and BP medication. As of today my blood pressure is very normal as well as lowering my cholesterol below 200. I went from 206lbs to 178lbs so far.

I have not had an ache or pain now and I jog 2 miles a day and work out with weights every other day. I haven't done this in many years. This is more than enough motovation to make Doctor Atkins a way of life. Not bad for a Grandpa.
Good luck,

slim2b/Terry
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 01:16
Pending Member

BF:
Default liptor

Terry, that is wonderful news. I have cut my liptor down to 1 pill every other day. I am going to call the doctor today and tell him that the since I have cut back it is not as bad. I have been on atkins now since Jan. have gone from 192 to 168. I know if I keep with atkins that all this will come down. I am a smoker and I think it is causing allot of my problem. I am working on quitting since my weight is starting to come down.
Thank you for replying. I hope that we can finally be off all these meds. for the rest of our life.
Donna
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 06:11

Plan: Doctor Atkins
Stats: 206/168/170
BF:
Progress: 106%
Cool

Hi Donna,

I was lucky on the smoking end of it. I stopped smoking in 1985. As a result I probably picked up 10 lbs and never lost it.

You should be able to stop smoking if you REALLY WANT TO. You know you have the will power to stay on Atkins so that is a good start.

Funny thing though, for myself I don't think it will take much will power for me to stay on Atkins for life. Knowing just how much better it makes me feel and the thought of staying off of prescription meds should do it. I actually look forward my running and workouts now. Almost hyper, pretty neat.

Stick with it,

Terry
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 21:22
Pending Member

BF:
Default hello

Terry, I plan to quit next month. I quit for a year but I walk when I wanted a cigarette so I will start walking again. Up to 10 miles a day. But yes, being on Atkins is not hard to stay with. I feel so much better.
Donna