Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 06:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/233/150 Female 169 cm
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Karen's book/making own butter

Hi all! The postman delivered "The Low-Carb Gourmet" today and am sooo looking forward to trying some of the delicious-sounding recipes. I also really appreciate the additional metric measurements.

Karen mentions making your own butter to see what fresh butter really tastes like. Last time I did this was 43 years ago in kindergarten, but it will be much easier now with a stick-mixer (or whatever they are called in English). Anyway, my question is, how long does freshly made butter keep in the fridge?

Thanks, Roemary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmry
Hi all! The postman delivered "The Low-Carb Gourmet" today and am sooo looking forward to trying some of the delicious-sounding recipes. I also really appreciate the additional metric measurements.

Karen mentions making your own butter to see what fresh butter really tastes like. Last time I did this was 43 years ago in kindergarten, but it will be much easier now with a stick-mixer (or whatever they are called in English). Anyway, my question is, how long does freshly made butter keep in the fridge?

Thanks, Roemary

I've dug around and there doesn't seem to be a 'standard' keeping time for unsalted fresh butter. You can and should refrigerate it, I'd recommend keeping in the fridge only the amount you can use/consume in a week, and freeze the rest...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 12:35
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

My grandmother churned her own butter for as long as I knew her. I even tried to help churn it one time. I guess it's a matter of taste, but the fresh stuff tasted pure-D awful to me! I couldn't even stand to SMELL it, much less eat it. LOL But my parents said they liked it and they didn't think it tasted funny at all. So like I said, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 05:31

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I looove fresh butter and buy it from a farm up the street. Sooo yummy. I dont put it on everything though because it does have a strong odor/taste and I dont want to turn other people off by cooking their meals with it. lol.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 12:31
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I've made my own fresh in the food processor (super easy). I recall reading (but not sure where) a week to 10 days.